Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Newbie Mafia

• Please log in to reply
1131 replies to this topic

#51 Hidden G

Hidden G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

i might be posting in the wrong place but i want to know what are MAFIAs in this site about? what do u do? and how do you WIN?
and if they take lots of time i'll be able to start after 12 of june cz i'm having excessive exams now till then

#52 kristmark1

kristmark1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

It's a role play game where people "eliminate" each other. There is the majority (goodies, villagers ) and the minority (baddies, Mafia). Different groups have different win conditions, for example the minority (Mafia) has to become the majority by killing people on the other team. There are many types of Mafia, all of them having unique rules and characters.
For more information you can read unreality's guide (at the top of the games section).
Hope that was helpful. :thumbsup:

Edited by kristmark1, 25 May 2011 - 07:41 PM.

#53 Hirkala

Hirkala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

Best thing would be to read the Newbies Guide to Mafia, located HERE! That will give you the basics of the game - how to play, the roles, the rules. Read up on that and then sign up!!! :)

#54 Auramyna

Auramyna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

Just to give a user-friendly summary:
It is made up of "day" and "night" cycles which take 24+ hours each. At night, anyone with actions uses them by PMing the host, during the day we all discuss and vote who we want to "lynch". Whoever is lynched dies and is removed from the game, and we find out their role. Anyone who is killed at night (by whoever has the kill power), their role is NOT revealed (but they are removed from the game.) People have roles such as save a player, spy a players role, sometimes there is block a players action. Other people are "vanilla townies" and do not have a night action, but get to vote during the "day" cycle.

The baddies know who each other are and can discuss and strategise privately behind the scenes. The goodies only know their own role and don't know who the other goodies are. During the day, goodies AND baddies converse on the forum, all pretending to be goodies, and trying to put blame on each other while deciding who to vote out.

It is a game of trickery and deception but also of logic. By reading the day and night posts (made by the host, saying what actions were done on who), you can eliminate people as being certain roles. Also, when we are voting to lynch someone, people who are close to being lynched will come up with defences which can give intended and unintended information. The goodies win if all the baddies are dead and the baddies win if all the goodies are dead. That is a summary of the basic way to play it.

As for time investment, at a minimum you should log on once a day and post but preferably a few posts or more a day. Over the "night" period (which covers a real time day and night, or sometimes longer), you only need to PM your action to the host. Depending on the game, sometimes there is posting during the "night" cycle and sometimes not.

In my signature is the link to the Newbies guide to Mafia, also linked by Hirkala and also stickied on the games forum.

P.S - It is very addicting!

Edited by Auramyna, 28 May 2011 - 12:16 PM.

#55 Akriti

Akriti

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

i might be posting in the wrong place but i want to know what are MAFIAs in this site about? what do u do? and how do you WIN?
and if they take lots of time i'll be able to start after 12 of june cz i'm having excessive exams now till then

Hope to see you at the two mafias. You will find both the mafias and the guide in my signature.

Value of a Woman :
She came out a man's ribs. Not from his feet, to be walked on, nor from his head, to be superior over, but from his side to be equal..........
Under the arm to be 'protected', and next to the heart to be 'loved'. <3

Brushes flowing free
Tender strokes of careful love
Painting one's true heart -- Framm

#56 Akriti

Akriti

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

Just to give a user-friendly summary:
It is made up of "day" and "night" cycles which take 24+ hours each. At night, anyone with actions uses them by PMing the host, during the day we all discuss and vote who we want to "lynch". Whoever is lynched dies and is removed from the game, and we find out their role. Anyone who is killed at night (by whoever has the kill power), their role is NOT revealed (but they are removed from the game.) People have roles such as save a player, spy a players role, sometimes there is block a players action. Other people are "vanilla townies" and do not have a night action, but get to vote during the "day" cycle.

The baddies know who each other are and can discuss and strategise privately behind the scenes. The goodies only know their own role and don't know who the other goodies are. During the day, goodies AND baddies converse on the forum, all pretending to be goodies, and trying to put blame on each other while deciding who to vote out.

It is a game of trickery and deception but also of logic. By reading the day and night posts (made by the host, saying what actions were done on who), you can eliminate people as being certain roles. Also, when we are voting to lynch someone, people who are close to being lynched will come up with defences which can give intended and unintended information. The goodies win if all the baddies are dead and the baddies win if all the goodies are dead. That is a summary of the basic way to play it.

As for time investment, at a minimum you should log on once a day and post but preferably a few posts or more a day. Over the "night" period (which covers a real time day and night, or sometimes longer), you only need to PM your action to the host. Depending on the game, sometimes there is posting during the "night" cycle and sometimes not.

In my signature is the link to the Newbies guide to Mafia, also linked by Hirkala and also stickied on the games forum.

P.S - It is very addicting!

Wow! that's a lot of typing. Thanx this will help many newbies :thumbsup:

Value of a Woman :
She came out a man's ribs. Not from his feet, to be walked on, nor from his head, to be superior over, but from his side to be equal..........
Under the arm to be 'protected', and next to the heart to be 'loved'. <3

Brushes flowing free
Tender strokes of careful love
Painting one's true heart -- Framm

#57 Hidden G

Hidden G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

thanks for all of you for that LOAD of information :thumbsup: especially Auramyna ,i think your fingers hurts now :P and now i've started reading thre Newbies guide to Mafia.
well Akriti,i think i can't be on those 2 mafias now,i'm busy now and have upcoming important exams,but after the 14th of june i'll be in the fist one coming in ;) but i hope i won't be 'dead' first :P
thank you all again for the help :)

#58 Auramyna

Auramyna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:32 AM

@ HiddenG - We look forward to you joining us soon!

#59 Auramyna

Auramyna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:35 AM

In my explanation, I meant to say: the baddies win if they outnumber the goodies. There are usually way less baddie roles than goodie roles.

#60 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:03 AM

darn it! I wanted to play, but the roster's full and plus I'm leaving in like 2 days...

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...power-of-green/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users