Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#11 WombatBreath

WombatBreath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3117 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:51 AM

Why don't we keep the existing (standard) Rollo thread going in exactly the same form as it is, and just start a new thread (dunno what to call it) with our agreed revised rules set (flexible word length, host determined scoring, or whatever we all agree on)?
We can get rookie to lock the 'sixy rollo' thread or kill it (whatever).
Can someone who knows how set up a vote please (oh effpee...ee :D ) which we can leave open for a week or until we have at least X votes cast ?

#12 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:04 AM

Yep, I agree with Maurice that the game would stagnate if no input. It's difficult to say what the time limit should be, given that (eg.) USA is just getting into its stride when it's close to my bedtime, and WbB is up like a lark, fresh as a daisy, full of the joys, etc, etc, (OK, I'm being facetious - I'm sure we can sort something out)

One thing that hasn't really been decided is a common dictionary. I, personally, am against using ONELOOK, as it's full of . as (I think) some of the words in it aren't acceptable. But, hey, it's a democracy.

PS. I don't know how to set up a vote.

Edited by fabpig, 17 April 2011 - 02:05 AM.

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#13 WombatBreath

WombatBreath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3117 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:38 AM

I think we need to avoid too many limits on double posting, as per mo & fp's comments, to allow momentum when participants are around. It's not reasonable for me to go to bed and expect a game to still be in progress in the morning - after a reasonable delay I believe that follow-up posts by the same person should be quite acceptable (somewhere between 2 and 5 minutes 'feels' reasonable and it is easily monitored).

Re fp's dictionary comment:
Sadly there is no free Australian english dictionary online (Macquarie is a pay service) but we could use a combination of Merriam-Webster and Oxford if we need limitation?

#14 maurice

maurice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3612 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

I just realized that I was confusing double posts with double entries. I rarely double post, unless two (independent) proofs are sitting in front of me, for example the situation that curr3nt pointed to. I used to not try to submit back to back entries, but now I feel that so long as the host has scored, there is no reason for me to wait. I still don't like to submit again even if others have unless its early on, but that's more personal preference (not liking to give the host too many points)

If the host is available and I'm available why should we (or anyone) need to wait for a third player?

edit - there is obviously a big deffierence between "Here are 4 words to get the ball rolling. They're shots in the dark anyway. Score them so we can move along" and "holy carp I have 4 words on my list. Here I'll submit all 4 of them."

Edited by maurice, 18 April 2011 - 03:48 PM.

#15 WombatBreath

WombatBreath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3117 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:02 AM

After trying to post a poll, I've had to abort what I started because there appears to be some limitations on polls. You can only have 3 Questions with up to 20 options per question. I will try to design a poll that captures the options discussed that fits within these limits. BRB - well in a while... :blink:

Oh btw, happy easter all...
Posted Image

Edited by WombatBreath, 22 April 2011 - 04:06 AM.

#16 WombatBreath

WombatBreath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3117 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:10 AM

OK - Its probably got to the point where some decisions are worth pursuing.
Apologies in advance if phrasing appears to be biased towards an outcome but I have made a genuine attempt to be neutral. I have included all options that I could identify from postings.
Please refer to the poll at the top of the page - Note that multiple selections may need to be made for the 2nd and 3rd questions.
I don't know how we can view or collate responses but I'm sure that something sensible can be sorted out. Please respond - ta :thumbsup:

Edited by WombatBreath, 22 April 2011 - 05:12 AM.

#17 Maquis

Maquis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1458 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

I guess it should be noted that if we do eliminate scoring on ROLLO then we'd be eliminating proofs as well by default. (After all what's the point of writing a proof when you already know the letter)

#18 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

had just stopped by to nominate a dictionary - www.thefreedictionary.com

Attached Images

• ivevoted.jpg

#19 WombatBreath

WombatBreath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3117 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:43 AM

I guess it should be noted that if we do eliminate scoring on ROLLO then we'd be eliminating proofs as well by default.

That's pretty much the only reason why I voted to keep participant scoring - it's what makes the game different to MasterWord.

#20 benjer3

benjer3

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

What about for scoring using a system where everyone starts out with 500 or so points and the participants steal letters from the host?

This would give a handicap to new players, as they'll only gain points until they get good enough to get a word. However, there would have to be some benefit to whoever gets a word (such as a modest bonus that is not stolen from the host), or the host would have to be chosen a different way, as no one would want to finish a word otherwise.

It might work the other way around, with the host stealing points from the participants, but that would hurt newcomers.

Of course, doing this would require a bit of tuning to get the scoring balanced.

Edited by benjer3, 29 April 2011 - 04:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users