BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

UN Mafia II

araver

Disclaimer: Although loosely inspired by actual historical events, this story is fictional and not intended to depict any actual person or event.

UN Mafia II

Prologue: Once more unto the breach

Eleven people awoke at the same time to find themselves in a dimly lit room. A round doughnut table with chairs was in the center of the room. Most of them were dressed casual but shock was on almost everyone’s face. Everybody wanted an explanation for their presence there. Some had heard rumors of an experiment the previous year, but had refused to believe something like this could happen to them. Rumors were passed from one another causing indistinct chatter all across the room.

~~~~~ A flash ... A Hooded person, appeared in the center of the table, surrounded by a cone of light that shadowed his figure completely. ~~~~~

Gentlemen, if you please have a seat, I’m sure we can find a way to answer your questions as quick as possible. Some of you have some previous information about a similar meeting that took place not long ago in similar circumstances. Consider yourselves pre-warned. Now take a seat or be silenced permanently!” said the Hooded Figure in a low, menacing tone. Slowly, one by one, all of them took a seat at the table.

Gentlemen, some time ago, after being fed up with your reckless messing with forces beyond your control, I have attempted an experiment to stop the destruction you are doing to all the species on this planet. However ...", the Hooded Figure dramatically paused, "the results of your predecessors were below expectations. I was forced to correct those mistakes and find suitable replacements for the survivors of that experiment."

However, you all chose to continue your predecessor's line of actions, so I am forced to retry my experiment in roughly the same conditions. Only surviving nations from my previous experiment were admitted, along with some newcomers. My patience is wearing thin this time, so I have made some changes to the diplomacy game your predecessors played. The game is called Mafia and you will be given plenty of time to study the rules and come up with an adequate winning strategy. However, at the beginning of the game, you will find that you won't recognize certain people from your past. This is the only way to ensure a fair start for everyone!"

"Nothing exists outside this room unless I tell you to. So you’d better start thinking for yourselves since you will be playing for your lives and for your nations as well. Getting you all here was an example of my powers and you should not attempt to break any of my rules, or I will be forced to make other similar displays. I can at any time replace you with the next in line in your nation’s hierarchy, so unless you think that person is much smarter than you, I suggest you behave. Study the materials and learn how to play the game.This is your one and only attempt to win this. You will find confortable quarters along the hallway. We’ll adjourn in the morning!”

~~~~~ The Hooded Figure disappeared abruptly and the cone of light disappeared ~~~~~

As the Hooded Figure disappeared, they looked around to find complete strangers siting at the table. Their memories did not serve them adequately in associating faces with names or past events. As each of them tried to remember if they had taken a seat among friends, suspicious glances were thrown around. Some of them started reading the heavy Guides that were on the table, while others chose to retire to their rooms and read them in private.

Factions and Role descriptions

Secret Alliance - Have BTSC and a night invasion (kill). NK must be assigned to a person.

--------

China -- The size of the country allowed it to send a replacement for the representative lost in the previous game. Can use electronic interception technologies. If China can successfully guess the Nation who is the recipient of a message from Spain, China may read the message (silent intercept) OR replace it with a message of his own (active intercept), but not both. During the day, may secretly change one vote.

WinCon: Secretly wants revenge for losing face in recent games. Cannot leave unless both USA and Russia are dead.

Argentina-- Wishes to restore its former glory lost in last century's war.

Ability - Can spy on one player each night, learning their identity, and what they did that night. If spied upon, it appears as Spain.

WinCon: Must spy England or vote for England before leaving the game. Only votes at the end of day are counted towards the WinCon.

Iran-- Still walking a thin line, wishes to dominate and prevent other nations of controlling its neighbours.

Ability - Each night can hire an external agent. Ability comes after a roll of die - 1. Block 2. Kill 3. Spy 4. RID Kill 5. Redirect 6. No action

WinCon: Can only leave the game if Israel is dead.

UN Alliance - No BTSC, No group abilities.

--------

USA -- Can survive through countless tragedies therefore cannot die at night on odd nights. Can RID Kill each night.

WinCon: Must correctly RID Kill 1 baddie before leaving the game.

Russia -- The size of the country allows vote manipulation (own vote) during the day (x0, x1, or x2) . Has hundreds of satellites floating in space. Can use one per night to spy a nation, even if that nation left the game or died. However their spying technology is easy to detect with the right equipment. If an alive member of the Secret Alliance is spied, the Secret Alliance will be notified of the fact that Russia spied one of them (and which of them), but will not be told Russia's identity.

WinCon: Has to prove itself by tagging 2 baddies before leaving the game. Spying a baddie at night is counted as 1 tag (different spies, different tags). Voting for a baddie who is eventually lynched is also counted as 1 tag.

Germany -- Its economic influence grows steadily which leads to an increase in political influence. Sometimes is forced to save nations in dire need, but would prefer preventing actions. Each night can choose to save a player or try to guess the Night Kill carrier. If Germany guesses correctly, the NK is blocked (but not the other action of that player).

WinCon: Must save (successfully) a player or guess and block the Night kill to be allowed to leave.

England -- Has worldwide influence among its former colonies. When one of the English speaking countries (US, Australia) dies, England takes over the actions or abilities of that nation. Every night, England must choose only one ability to use from the available list. After inheriting abilities, if Englands outs that one of the nations has died, it loses all the inherited abilities.

WinCon: Cannot leave the game until at least one of USA and Australia have left the game or are dead and after it uses at least once one of the inherited abilities.

Australia -- As a former penal colony, Australia can trap one player per night, but not the same player two nights in a row. The enhanced spy technology borrowed from Canada will allow the spy results on the trapped player to be redirected to both Australia and USA.

WinCon: They cannot be the first goodie to leave the game - either one goodie must successfully leave or two goodies must be dead in order for Australia to be allowed to leave.

Spain-- As a former colonial empire, Spain is still struggling to achieve a fraction of its former glory. Has connections to vast network of Spanish speaking informers all around the world which can be used to send a 100 character message each night to one of the nations (ROLE, not player).

WinCon: Must send at least two messages successfully before being allowed to leave.

Israel-- Distrustful of alliances, often finds itself in need of allies due to its neighbor's influences. Can redirect a target each night. If it does not act during the night, it can instead change a vote in lynch during the day.

WinCon: Must redirect (successfully) Iran's action or change Iran's vote to be alowed to leave.

Indy

--------

Sweden -- A rounded nation with nothing to contribute to wars. From time to time, chooses to temporarily side with a Faction or the other, in order to protect its own interests. Can arrest one person each night and learn his faction. That person is imprisoned for following day, cannot post or be voted for. Sweden cannot die N1.

Secret WinCon.

WinCons (Goals before leaving the game)

- All WinCons are to reach an individual goal then leave the game.

- To leave the game, the player must sacrifice his night ability and declare that he wishes to leave the game (PM host at night). After this declaration, he must survive that night and following day. If he survives both, he may leave.

- After the submit the LEAVE action, the following day their vote is counted x0.

- Blocks do not prevent a player from leaving, but an imprisonment does. An imprisoned player must be freed before attempting to leave.

- If a player attempts to leave without completing his assigned goal, he will be informed that he cannot leave only AFTER the night and day cycle have completed.

- When a single faction manages to eliminate all other players, there's no one stopping them to leave the game. This bypasses individual WinCons.

Order of actions

- Chronological (i.e. all rules are ">>")

- Redirect >> Arrest (Imprison)>> Trap >> RID Kill >> Save player / Block NK >> Night Kill >> Block >> Spy >> Message Send/Intercept

- Night Kill is stopped if target is trapped, imprisoned or saved. NK is also stopped if Germany guesses the NK carrier or the NK carrier is RID Killed or trapped. Night Kill can be redirected.

- RID Kills can only stopped if target is trapped or arrested (imprisoned) (cannot be stopped by Germany's save or guess)

- Regular Kill (die-based) can only be stopped if target is trapped, arrested or saved (cannot be stopped by Germany's guess).

- Redirected spies will not be told they were redirected. Instead, they will receive the role of the person they were redirected to.

- Night-post will show only successful actions. Spies will not be shown (just hinted at).

Other clarifications:

- D1 tie lynch=no lynch. Any other day tie = All tied players are lynched!

- Day/Nights end at 12 PM EDT (7 AM in my timezone). Night can end earlier if I get all actions in red but the following day will be longer and end at the usual time.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Roles were sent!

Night 1 will end at 12 PM EDT, Saturday April 10th (more than 24 hours to get in synch).

The rest of the days/nights will be regular 24 hours.

I've added the clarifications from the Signups thread. New lines in Rules were marked with Red so you can see them (Order of actions explained + what stops RID Kills/Kill).

Hooded figure: Araver

1. Molly Mae

2. Hirkala

3. maurice

4. Thalia

5. curr3nt

6. Aaryan

7. Shadow7

8. solman

9. golfjunkie

10. Marq

11. Vineetrika

Edited by araver

Likewise. (is 12 PM midnight or noon? I always get confused...and isn't the 10th Sunday?)

Yes, apparently I was also confused (12 PM is noon, but I wanted it to be midnight). I also missed the difference between Saturday and Sunday :rolleyes:

Gonna make it 11 PM EDT (23:00 EDT) to avoid future confusion.

Night 1 ends at 11 PM EDT, Sunday, April 10th!

I will clear this by PMs too.

Framm replaced Aaryan.

Nightpost will be delayed for a while - half an hour probably (IRL reasons).

1. Molly Mae

2. Hirkala

3. maurice

4. Thalia

5. curr3nt

6. Framm18 Aaryan

7. Shadow7

8. solman

9. golfjunkie

10. Marq

11. Vineetrika

Act 1

~~~~~~~~~

The Israeli had no idea who most of the people where, but knew he needed information fast. And allies. But information came first. Unfortunately, the only gadget he was allowed to keep was one used by special mind-breaking special forces. This would have to do for a while. He went out to the bar and scouted for a target. His eyes came across Marquessa. He gestured for another glass of champagne from the automated bartender and moved over to her table. Distrustful at first, the champagne provided the necessary ice-breaker. After all, not everyday you get kidnapped by a Hooded Figure. It's good to relax from time to time. As Marq's eyes were on someone who had just came in the bar, the Israeli turned his gadget on and fixed it under the table. He then began a conversation and carefully suggested that one of the others was clearly more suspicious than the others. Unconvinced at first, Marq left half an hour later with the conviction that she had wanted to do that all along. The Israeli smiled and went back to his room.

~~~~~~~~~

The Swede had studied all the things the Hooded Figure had provided him with. He pondered his odds and decided on a course to follow. He took out the secret toolkit hidden inside his jacket. Carefully, he drew one of the devices out. He had once seen a demonstration of the device's power. The device had 2 cylindrical vials inside connected by a thin barrier. The vials had two different substances, which were inert when separated. When the barrier trigger was pulled and device was shaken with considerable force, the barrier between the two vials would break and a chain reaction was started. He went out on the corridor and found his target's quarters. He listened for a while and heart a light snore coming from inside. The Swede kneeled down and checked the bottom of the door. Perfect, the device could be pushed under. He pushed the button that released one of the barriers then shook the device for 10 seconds. He pushed the device under the door and left immediately.

A small bang was heard ... then a small hissing sound. Solman awoke and turned on the light. He looked around the room and saw that a new web of white stuff had covered the door. He tried to reach the doorknob but there was a thick layer of the white stuff covering it. He tried to cut it for a few minutes, to no avail. He pushed against the door. Fruitless. He was trapped in a window-less room. He tried the phone and a voice answered "Yes..." "Hey, there's a white ... something growing on my door. I can't reach the door!", "Well, that's the point! Sit tight. Relax. You got the day off!".

~~~~~~~~~

The Australian had skim read through the book. He knew the drill from his precedessor's notes. He took the gadgets out of his backpack and put them on the table. Sweet. He had someone in mind for his first target. He creaked the door open and check the corridor. No one was in site and the targets door was second to left across the hall. Two steps and he was there. He took the little robot from his pocked and pushed it under the door. The robot took five little steps, as his instructions said, then stopped and went on standby. As Molly tried to get out of the bed, the robot's system activated and a deafening silence surrounded him. He fell back onto the bed, unconscious. The robot took a drop of blood, ran it through the DNA analyzer and began transmission. When the transmission ended, he crawled to a corner and began to format itself. By daybreak, no information was left on him.

~~~~~~~~~

Quite a few of them have chosen to deploy their spying devices tonight. The Hooded Figure had left them some means of espionage. Of course, the Hooded Figure was omniscient and had already bugged their devices. As long as they played by the book ...

~~~~~~~~~

Act 2

At the break of daw, all the delegates came into the central room. They counted only 10 of them. Uneasy looks were thrown but no one dared to break the silence during breakfast. As breakfast was finished, they retreated to different corners of the room. Some were speaking in a low tone voice, inquiring the others about their misterious abduction or the whereabouts of the missing one.

The Hooded Figure appeared. "Gentlemen, you are I hope familiar with this diplomacy game. It is simpler than your usual meetings. There is no veto this time. No complicated rules this time. You can talk all you want ... well ... for the next 24 hours. Use the buttons on the table and tonight, give me a name.

One more thing, tied nations will be spared today, consider it a welcome gift."

The Hooded Figure disappeared.

As chatter emerged, the Hooded Figure appeared again. "Yeah, and another thing ... Your missing colleague will serve today's meals in the brig. He'll be back when the day ends. Ignore him for the moment."

1. Molly Mae

2. Hirkala

3. maurice

4. Thalia

5. curr3nt

6. Framm

7. Shadow7

8. solman - arrested by Sweden - cannot vote or be voted during D1.

9. golfjunkie

10. Marq

11. Vineetrika

Day 1 will end Monday 11 PM EDT!

Edited by araver

1. Molly Mae

2. Hirkala

3. maurice

4. Thalia

5. curr3nt - Voting for Hirkala

6. Framm

7. Shadow7

9. golfjunkie

10. Marq

11. Vineetrika

Because random.org told me...and because someone needs to start this.

post-39441-095608800 1302495315.jpg

So no Night Kill, huh? I have three ideas.

A) Germany guessed right, but I will dismiss that because that would normally show in the Night Post.

B) solman was the target and was saved or is the baddie carrying out the kill and was blocked

C) Molly Mae carried the kill and was blocked

The good news is that we should get confirmation. Now how do we do that without USA nor Australia outting themselves...Or if Molly is a Baddie, mayhaps USA would rather not lynch him.

PS just thought of D) USA or Sweden was the target of the Night Kill

I will withhold voting for now, kinda late and I have already overlooked some things. Let's see what the morning landscape brings.

C) Section 2. Molly could have been the target of the NK.

Good call, curr3nt. See, I am not at full functional capacity right now. I guess technically that was a trap, just a night one and not a night/day one.

1. Molly Mae

2. Hirkala - Voting for Vine

3. maurice

4. Thalia

6. Framm

7. Shadow7

9. golfjunkie

10. Marq

11. Vineetrika

Random vote...

1. Molly Mae

3. maurice

4. Thalia

6. Framm

7. Shadow7 - Voting for Thalia

9. golfjunkie

10. Marq

11. Vineetrika

Let's give Thalia a welcome vote for absolutely no other reason!

EDIT: the line break before sol disappeared; I had to replace it.

Edited by Shadow7

1. Molly Mae

3. maurice

4. Thalia

6. Framm - Voting for Hirkala

9. golfjunkie

10. Marq

11. Vineetrika

To just put a little bit of pressure on someone at the moment.

EDIT: Changed Hirk's color as it was a little bit too close to the trapped color.

Edited by Framm 18

Questions to the hooded figure:

1. For the following roles & actions, will it show in the night post, if they were successful or unsuccessful ?

- China's interception, Argentina's spy, USA's RID kill, Russia's spy, Germany's save/guess NK carrier, Spain sending message

2. For Iran, what die actions would show in the post for successful/unsuccessful attempts ?

1. Molly Mae

3. maurice - Voting for Vine

4. Thalia

9. golfjunkie

10. Marq

11. Vineetrika

Just so Hirk is not alone in having pressure. Thalia take notes in how to defend, because if Vine does it well enough, you are next :D

When it says NK is assigned to a person, does that mean that person is assigned the NK until death or departure?

Each night the Secret Alliance assigns one of them to carry out the NK. There are no restrictions (except that person needs to alive).

Questions to the hooded figure:

1. For the following roles & actions, will it show in the night post, if they were successful or unsuccessful ?

- China's interception, Argentina's spy, USA's RID kill, Russia's spy, Germany's save/guess NK carrier, Spain sending message

2. For Iran, what die actions would show in the post for successful/unsuccessful attempts ?

1. No unsuccessful action is shown.

RID Kill, Saves/guess NK carrier are shown if successful.

Spies and Message send/intercept are not shown, even if successful.

2. For Iran, the following actions: block (1), Kill (2), RID Kill (4), Redirect (5), only if successful, will be shown in the post.

No unsuccessful action is shown.

1. Molly Mae - Voting for Maurice

4. Thalia

9. golfjunkie

10. Marq

11. Vineetrika

USA should certainly not out himself unless under threat of lynch.

Edited by Molly Mae

4. Thalia

9. golfjunkie

10. Marq

11. Vineetrika - Voting for Hirkala

The possibilities for NK fail are

1. they chose not to (very unlikely)

2. Germany saved or guessed the NK carrier correctly (this would have shown in the night post)

3. Solman/MM were the NK carriers (possible)

4. Solman/MM were the target for NK carrier (possible)

5. USA/Sweden were the target for the NK

The unfortunate is baddies know the reason why NK failed. If it is 5, then USA/Sweden are in danger. USA might need some protection tomorrow.

Also, Australia and USA know who MM is. They can vouch for him if he is a goodie but if they do that they will be outed. Outing roles is not good as Sweden's wincon is not known. That reminds me

@Araver: Are there any group wincons? If Sweden achieves its wincon, will the game end?

As for my defense, my action was successful and I am not sure how to process the information yet. Now, let's hear from Hirk.

Edit: removed quote tags

Edited by Vineetrika

@Araver:

1. Are there any group wincons?

2. If Sweden achieves its wincon, will the game end?

1. Besides individual WinCon + leaving, there is also the generic Group WinCon:

- When a single faction manages to eliminate all other players, there's no one stopping them to leave the game. This bypasses individual WinCons.

So you can still win as a group, even if individual WinCon is no longer available.

2. Tricky. That is a secret WinCon :P

No, the game does not end. Sweden has an individual secret WinCon just like everyone else. Once it is fulfilled, Sweden can try to leave the game, just like everyone else. There is also an alternative (also secret) which roughly corresponds to the group WinCon that the other players have (see 1 above)

4. Thalia

9. golfjunkie

10. Marq - Voting for Maurice

11. Vineetrika - Voting for Hirkala

The voices in my head told me to make Marq vote for maurice