Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

You know you're a math nerd when...

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#81 Aaryan

Aaryan

Superior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

When in math, you are more concerned with trying to steal your classmate's stuffed cow than you are with actually reviewing for your big test next week.

This can be taken two ways.

Back in Business. 

Are you intelligent? Of course you are. Do you love mind games? Of course you do? Join a Trainer's Manual Mafia in the Games today (well, once one opens up).

#82 MissKitten

MissKitten

Merthur <3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts
  • Location:At my computer, or maybe writing fanfiction, and losing my sanity and innocence

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:43 PM

I meant the math-nerd-related way. As in, I already know the stuff so well that I don't need to worry about doing the optional review, so I busy myself with stealing his stuffed cow so I don't bore myself to death.

Chocolate is proof that God wanted us to be happy.

So you want a fight with intent to kill? Then come fight me! It's here in my bow, that intent to kill you love so much! ~ Uryu Ishida

... ~ Nova-kun

Society needs to learn how to adapt, or humanity is screwed. ~ MiKi, aka MissKitten, aka myself

#83 phil

phil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:14 AM

You might be a math nerd when in geometry class you hear about laws of congruency for triangles with the Side-Side-Side (SSS) rule, the Side-Angle-Side (SAS) rule, and the Angle-Side-Angle (ASA) rules, and are very disappointed that there is not an Angle-Side-Side rule.

You're definitely a math nerd when this fact disappoints you so much that you come up with a "proof" of the Angle-Side-Side rule that stumps the rest of your class.

You might be a math nerd if you try to solve math/logic puzzles on BrainDen.

You're most probably a math nerd if you post your own math/logic puzzles on BrainDen.

You're definitely a math nerd if you post a puzzle that no one has tried to answer for nearly a week now.

I don't have anything against you, but...

1. Your proof is flawed. The example triangle you have looks like a right triangle. That would mean you are only proving the Hypotenuse-Leg Theorem (didn't they teach you that?). There is a definite counterexample for the SSA theorem right here.

2. The riddle was not well explained. There are too many possible variables for a trapeze act.

Edited by phil, 06 September 2011 - 03:15 AM.

#84 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1446 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:33 AM

Yep, my proof is flawed all right! The reason it's interesting as a riddle is that the flaw is rather subtle and can easily be missed. It's kind of like a "proof" that I once saw that I can now only vaguely remember, but went something along the lines of ...

Spoiler for

That was, if nothing else, rather entertaining the first time I saw it.

As for the trapeze, well, I had enough information to come up with a solution :P. Admittedly, there's a fair deal of slogging through equations that's easy to get bogged down in, and that can make you lose sight of the bigger picture and concepts behind how to attack it in such a way that you can reach the solution. That probably made it seem like less of a "riddle" and more of a "problem" for anyone who might have tried to take it on. I'll have to remember to avoid that if possible in future riddles.

Spoiler for Since no one else has posted a solution, here's what I got

#85 phil

phil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:54 PM

Spoiler for Since no one else has posted a solution, here's what I got

Yep, you're definitely a math nerd! ;)

#86 MissKitten

MissKitten

Merthur <3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts
  • Location:At my computer, or maybe writing fanfiction, and losing my sanity and innocence

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:43 AM

Wow.....I used to think that one of the kids I know was the biggest math nerd in the world, but congrats, Plasmid, the incredibly long proof has placed you in the highest position of honor in my mind! :congrats:

So you want a fight with intent to kill? Then come fight me! It's here in my bow, that intent to kill you love so much! ~ Uryu Ishida

... ~ Nova-kun

Society needs to learn how to adapt, or humanity is screwed. ~ MiKi, aka MissKitten, aka myself

#87 peace*out

peace*out

Adult Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4891 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

when youve finished the worksheet by the time the teacher tells you to start

#88 MissKitten

MissKitten

Merthur <3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:08 PM

when youve finished the worksheet by the time the teacher tells you to start

Haha, I do that all the time!

When you sit in class, drawing and coloring pictures of characters from different mangas/animes, and still manage to learn what the teacher is teaching and correctly answer at least two or three of her questions.

When you do the above and still manage to make it look like you're actually paying attention.

... ~ Nova-kun

#89 peace*out

peace*out

Adult Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4891 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

When you understand the nerdy math jokes on the posters in your friends room. :)

#90 MissKitten

MissKitten

Merthur <3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:20 PM

When you are usually the cause of the nerdy jokes.

When your MathCounts t-shirt usually has some kind of joke that you get, but nobody else does.

When you have your own brand of math-related humor that makes people look at you funny, and when those looks don't really affect you anymore.

... ~ Nova-kun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users