Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

You know you're a math nerd when...

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 MissKitten

MissKitten

Merthur <3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts
  • Location:At my computer, or maybe writing fanfiction, and losing my sanity and innocence

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:35 PM

-when you look at page 169 in a book and immediately think, "that's 132!"
-when on jeopardy the guy wagers and loses $10,001 during final jeopardy and all you can think is, "that's a palindrome!"
-when the highlight of your week is your weekly MathCounts practice
-when over spring break all you are going to do is MathCounts (but state competition is coming up soon, so i have a semi-valid reason...)
-when your two goals for the year are getting to national MathCounts and being smarter (in math) than the smartest kid in your school
-when you actually are smarter (once again, in math) than the smartest kid in your school
-when all of your best friends are also math nerds
-when you get aquestion wrong and everybody in your class is shocked
-when you have come to accept your nerd-ness

Edited by MissKitten, 12 March 2011 - 06:37 PM.

Chocolate is proof that God wanted us to be happy.

So you want a fight with intent to kill? Then come fight me! It's here in my bow, that intent to kill you love so much! ~ Uryu Ishida

... ~ Nova-kun

Society needs to learn how to adapt, or humanity is screwed. ~ MiKi, aka MissKitten, aka myself

#2 Thalia

Thalia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:33 PM

• When you memorize math problems and catch yourself calculating probabilities on styrofoam cups.
  • When someone tells you that math is useless and you proceed to prove that math is everywhere.
  • You incorporate factorials into a card game.

Come check out Mafia in the Games Forum
Trainer's Manual Mafia XII: Bugs Mafia is in signups
Other games:
The Green Glass Doors
Telephone

#3 peace*out

peace*out

Adult Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4891 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

when you turn a friendly, no money, poker game into a discussion about probability and statistics

#4 Shadow7

Shadow7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:51 PM

When you calculate fibonaccis any time you get bored

#5 benjer3

benjer3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:55 AM

When you are always thinking about differently based numbering systems.
...And when you calculate fibonaccis in base-twelve.

Edit: And know fifty digits of pi. Not to mention having a pi shirt....

Edited by benjer3, 13 March 2011 - 01:56 AM.

#6 MissKitten

MissKitten

Merthur <3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts
  • Location:At my computer, or maybe writing fanfiction, and losing my sanity and innocence

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:54 AM

-when you own a "nerd with a bird" shirt. (its really cute. it has snoopy and that little bird doing math calculations and things on it.)
-when one of your really good friends has the first 80 digits of pi memorized.
-when the said friends starts reciting those digits and you listen patiently until he stops after the first 20 digits or so, and then wonder if he really has the first 80 digits memorized.
-when another one of your really good friends is writing a program on a calculator to calculate the digits of pi...without pressing the pi button
-when the two above friends have programmed calculators together for over a year, and when you find out, you approve. (i havent really approved yet. im still completely :wacko: :blink: :wacko: about it.)
-when you do math problems for fun.
-when you hear that you'll be doing conic sections in class soon and you say "yay! conic sections!" while everybody else either groans or looks extremely confused.
-when you're the only person in your class who knows what a hyperbola is.
-when you realize that both of your posts are probably longer than all of the others combined...

So you want a fight with intent to kill? Then come fight me! It's here in my bow, that intent to kill you love so much! ~ Uryu Ishida

... ~ Nova-kun

Society needs to learn how to adapt, or humanity is screwed. ~ MiKi, aka MissKitten, aka myself

#7 OmegaScales

OmegaScales

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:04 AM

When you play a recording of the known digits of pi in your car avery morning on the way to work, and memorize all (or a whole frickin' lot) of them. (I don't do this, but I heard about someone who did.)
When you keep saying, "That is not pi, that is an estimate of it" when someone says, "Pi equals 3.14."
When you make a pie in the shape of pi. (Didn't actually do this, but thought about it for pi day last year. By the way, the closest to pi a single day has come to was on March thirteenth in the year one-thousand five-hundred ninety-three.)

Yes, I love pi(e).

When the fiery moon rises and the frozen sun sets, then the war between good and evil shall come to an end. Until then I, the guardian of both heaven and hell, the keeper of destruction and bringer of peace, shall dream these lives to death and freedom.

#8 ~Thoughtful~

~Thoughtful~

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

When you are always thinking about differently based numbering systems.
...And when you calculate fibonaccis in base-twelve.

Edit: And know fifty digits of pi. Not to mention having a pi shirt....

I memorized 563 in a contest in 6th grade :D It was fun.

#9 MissKitten

MissKitten

Merthur <3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

nice. i actually did stack 50 cookies in the shape of pi for pi day in fourth grade.

Edited by MissKitten, 13 March 2011 - 09:12 PM.

... ~ Nova-kun

#10 Shadow7

Shadow7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

:) my entire math class is bringing pies for pi day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users