BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

You know you're a math nerd when...

MissKitten

-when you look at page 169 in a book and immediately think, "that's 132!"

-when on jeopardy the guy wagers and loses $10,001 during final jeopardy and all you can think is, "that's a palindrome!"

-when the highlight of your week is your weekly MathCounts practice

-when over spring break all you are going to do is MathCounts (but state competition is coming up soon, so i have a semi-valid reason...)

-when your two goals for the year are getting to national MathCounts and being smarter (in math) than the smartest kid in your school

-when you actually are smarter (once again, in math) than the smartest kid in your school

-when all of your best friends are also math nerds

-when you get aquestion wrong and everybody in your class is shocked

-when you have come to accept your nerd-ness

Edited by MissKitten

-when you own a "nerd with a bird" shirt. (its really cute. it has snoopy and that little bird doing math calculations and things on it.)

-when one of your really good friends has the first 80 digits of pi memorized.

-when the said friends starts reciting those digits and you listen patiently until he stops after the first 20 digits or so, and then wonder if he really has the first 80 digits memorized.

-when another one of your really good friends is writing a program on a calculator to calculate the digits of pi...without pressing the pi button

-when the two above friends have programmed calculators together for over a year, and when you find out, you approve. (i havent really approved yet. im still completely :wacko::blink::wacko: about it.)

-when you do math problems for fun.

-when you hear that you'll be doing conic sections in class soon and you say "yay! conic sections!" while everybody else either groans or looks extremely confused.

-when you're the only person in your class who knows what a hyperbola is.

-when you realize that both of your posts are probably longer than all of the others combined...

When you play a recording of the known digits of pi in your car avery morning on the way to work, and memorize all (or a whole frickin' lot) of them. (I don't do this, but I heard about someone who did.)

When you keep saying, "That is not pi, that is an estimate of it" when someone says, "Pi equals 3.14."

When you make a pie in the shape of pi. (Didn't actually do this, but thought about it for pi day last year. By the way, the closest to pi a single day has come to was on March thirteenth in the year one-thousand five-hundred ninety-three.)

Yes, I love pi(e).

When you are always thinking about differently based numbering systems.

...And when you calculate fibonaccis in base-twelve.

Edit: And know fifty digits of pi. Not to mention having a pi shirt....

I memorized 563 in a contest in 6th grade :D It was fun.

When you mentally calculate how long it would take you to walk, jog, and sprint a mile during free time in gym class.

When you and your friend have contests to make the craziest shape on a graphing calculator's polar mode

When you've tried calculus-based pickup lines

When you have pi as your email signature

And I can't wait for tomorrow :)

• 1 month later...

Haha, these all make me laugh. Some have and have not happened to me.

When kids in your class are eager for your riddles and mathematical puzzles that stump them until they give up... in a gifted class... of which I skipped a grade to get into :)

When one of your endorphin heights is while making a big mathematical discovery... whether or not it has been made before.

Everytime when there are two large numbers such as likes and dislikes on a popular website that are divisible, I shout and jump around.

When you calculate everything in music; tempo, seconds, chords, instruments at certain point, average amount of instrumentation going on... usually I try to chill to music, but occasionally I go towards infinity of mathematics.

I've got more of these, but I'd rather put funny up ones then ones that simply make me look smarter and nerdier.

Haha, these all make me laugh. Some have and have not happened to me.

When kids in your class are eager for your riddles and mathematical puzzles that stump them until they give up... in a gifted class... of which I skipped a grade to get into :)

When one of your endorphin heights is while making a big mathematical discovery... whether or not it has been made before.

Everytime when there are two large numbers such as likes and dislikes on a popular website that are divisible, I shout and jump around.

When you calculate everything in music; tempo, seconds, chords, instruments at certain point, average amount of instrumentation going on... usually I try to chill to music, but occasionally I go towards infinity of mathematics.

I've got more of these, but I'd rather put funny up ones then ones that simply make me look smarter and nerdier.

PLEASE put up more!! the funny ones are great, but yeah: more please!!!

when I learn calculus in my spare time... (the time not consumed by BrainDen!)

quantem physics is wayyyyy cooler. seriously. its awesome.

when you get a pencil with digits of pi all around it...

...when your friend pretends she knows the digets of pie and is reading them off her computer, you get really excited and start to show her a website that shows the first 10,000 digets of pi! ..and then she looks at you funny.

-When you’re playing Wii bowling and you exclaim to your brother: “Hey, look! All your scores are perfect squares!”

No joke. This happened like, 20 minutes ago. Of course the first thing I do is post it on BD.

lol that fits into "I know I spend too much time on BrainDen...! :D

when you write 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 by using proportions rates or by writing 10to the 1010th power

when your favorite expression is pir2

when you make math jokes and no one understands them

when exclamation marks are really factorial signs