Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Phobophobia?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

As you said, being scared of spiders will try to make you avoid them. So your brain, avoiding the fear building inside itself as it fears that fear, will surely avoid that fear and not be scared?!?!?!!?

Well, more to the point, being scared of spiders makes you try to avoid them. Fear makes you want to avoid something, but not necessarily able to do so.

#12 Shortdude3000

Shortdude3000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:48 PM

Well, more to the point, being scared of spiders makes you try to avoid them. Fear makes you want to avoid something, but not necessarily able to do so.

You are right in some respect. Your brain will try and make you avoid spiders, but cannot physically prevent you from touching them, as they can be thrown at you and stuff. However, your brain has control of your fears and always has it with it, it is a different situation to spiders.

#13 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:20 AM

However, your brain has control of your fears and always has it with it

Seriously? How come people with phobias and panic attacks have difficulty finding the off switch?

#14 GLaDOS

GLaDOS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:29 AM

Let's try to boil it down. If you are afraid of something, When it happens or you go near whatever you are afraid of, you feel a feeling. You don't like this feeling, so you try to avoid it. If the only fear you have is phobphobia, then you have no fear to set off the chain reaction. If you have more fears, the moment they end, your phobphobia will end.

#15 Shortdude3000

Shortdude3000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:35 AM

Let's try to boil it down. If you are afraid of something, When it happens or you go near whatever you are afraid of, you feel a feeling. You don't like this feeling, so you try to avoid it. If the only fear you have is phobphobia, then you have no fear to set off the chain reaction. If you have more fears, the moment they end, your phobphobia will end.

That's relating it to other phobias. But Phobophobia is a fear in itself and would hence cause fear upon you feeling the symptoms on it which would trigger as soon as you see or think of another fear. Using your theories, from the second another fear sparks it off, you will be in constant terror.

I think that it actually would cause constant fear of the fear itself.

#16 Chokfull

Chokfull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

I'd like to mention that the word "phobia" means "a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it."

Therefore, for you to have "phobiaphobia" you would be persistently scared of fear. This leads simply to persistent fear. It's irrational, of course, and fear is also my greatest fear, but that doesn't mean I have phobiaphobia.

#17 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

The important thing here is the "irrational" part. I don't think it's irrational to have a fear of something that can kill you......

Having said that, it's possible to prefix -phobia with any Greek prefix and make up a phobia. Doesn't mean eg. that phobophobia exists. You could even have phobophobophobia.

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#18 Aaryan

Aaryan

Superior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:13 AM

Phobias are weird that way.
For example, the fear of long words is
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.

Back in Business. 

Are you intelligent? Of course you are. Do you love mind games? Of course you do? Join a Trainer's Manual Mafia in the Games today (well, once one opens up).

#19 maurice

maurice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3612 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

:) But if you have a phobia of something, doesn't your brain prevent you from doing it, hence wiping it your own fear? :S

If that is the case then I am going to work on a fear of dying. Just because I fear something, that does not mean I can prevent it.

Let's go deeper and say well, we're talking about what's going on in the brain. OK. What about say bed-wetters? Certainly they fear wetting the bed, but yet it still happens and isn't there a psychological aspect to that?

Additionally there are things that I have feared and yet my brain didn't prevent me from doing it. Some people who have a fear of talking in front of an audience still do it and the fear persists.

#20 Chaits

Chaits

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

I'd like to mention that the word "phobia" means "a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it."

Therefore, for you to have "phobiaphobia" you would be persistently scared of fear. This leads simply to persistent fear.

Not necessarily. A phobia is triggered by the sight or thought etc of the focus of the fear. So an arachnophobic doesn't walk around thinking about their fear of spiders until something reminds them of it or there is some threat of a spider.

So phobophobia is like someone mentioned, it is similar to a panic attack; when something elicits a fear in a person, they are not only scared of the spider/heights/long words, but they are freaked out by the fear that they haven't managed to avoid.. So it spirals into a panic attack. Of course panic attacks do die down eventually due to the way a panic attack exhausts the body and mind.

The rest of the time they try to avoid the things that cause fear rather than avoiding fear itself..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users