Four for the Dwarf lords who work on the stone

Eight for Mortal Men puffed up with pride

One for the Dark Lord in his dark home

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

One to reclaim the throne, no one will find them

You are to bring him, and in the light bind him

From the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

24 answers to this question

Nothing to do with diapers or smores. I'm guessing that the champion guess came from the numbers in the riddle corresponding to the number of participants at various rounds in a tournament, but there are a number of other clues to be explained. And the answer has nothing at all to do with the Lord of the Rings. But if you do look over the parts of inscription that were changed in the riddle, then it would be safe to assume that the parts that were changed have been changed for a reason.

I suspect that this one will be very difficult. In part because I was limited in the number of clues I could include while keeping the structure of the Lord of the Rings inscription. In part because the answer itself is not something of quite so common knowledge as I usually riddle about, and not all that universal.

Nah, I haven't gone THAT esoteric. Not any obscure artifact or person from a book that less than 90% of the population would know about. I'm looking for what the "two" "four" "eight" and "one" things are in this riddle. It's still something that practically everyone is familiar with, and most people if they were to see the answer would then realize what the clues were all about and why the sixth and seventh lines were changed the way they are. As far as what I meant when I said the answer is not all that universal... well, you'll understand when you see the answer, and why it would make it more difficult to come up with the answer than I usually shoot for when I write riddles.

Not a summit, at least I can't think of a mountain range that this could be referring to. The set of objects this is referring to can be rather variable in its exact size; there might be two in the dark home, nine puffed up with pride, only two working the stone, and even none at all nearest the sky in many cases.

Possibly..

Flame, fire or candles? 9 candles for hanukkah, two in the sky (sun and moon), flame for blacksmiths (dwarves), one candle for the bedside (in a dark home)... Not sure about the rest of the riddle

Possibly..

Flame, fire or candles? 9 candles for hanukkah, two in the sky (sun and moon), flame for blacksmiths (dwarves), one candle for the bedside (in a dark home)... Not sure about the rest of the riddle

Sorry I've been away for a bit. I like that answer quite a bit as it could explain at least the two and roughly eight objects in a set, although it’s not what I had in mind. Your line of thinking is on the right track.

Hey plasmid. Hope to strike a chord...

Amplifier?

Back at last, I had nearly forgotten that this one was still out there. I should probably add a bit more to give this some direction... while sticking to Tolkien.

A latch that locks without a key

So what's inside they will not see

a chess player, playing white? Two towers for the elven kings nearest the sky? Four lords (knights and bishops) and eight mortal men (pawns)? One queen to bind the dark lord, and one king to reclaim the throne? I guess it's far-fetched

:P

I never cease to be amazed by answers like chess pieces that work rather well despite not being very similar to what I had in mind. I suspect that the difficulty with this riddle has a lot to due with the fact that the numbers of these things can be variable and need not precisely match the numbers given in the riddle.

To add a bit more riddling about this thing...

Two for the Elven kings nearest the sky

Four for the Dwarf lords who work on the stone

Eight for Mortal Men puffed up with pride

One for the Dark Lord in his dark home

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

One to reclaim the throne, no one will find them

You are to bring him, and in the light bind him

From the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

A latch that locks without a key

So what's inside they will not see

A dozen assassins on a white plain

First they stab

Then they grab

Then from motion restrain

how about

Soccer/European Football .. the UEFA Champions League : the final phases of the competition where only 16 teams remain : playing 8 games from which you get 8 winners -> playing the quarter finals : 4 games - 4 winners -> playing the semifinals : 2 games - 2 winners -> 1 FINAL GAME for the big Trophy .. 1 WINNER.. that gets it all..

dozen players on a white plain ... for each team : actually it's 11 players per team.. but it could be easily assimilated with 12 :)

yeah, really liked shakingdavid's answer and thought he might have had it. been thinking on this one on and off for weeks...

buttons?

plainglazed gets this toughie

A dress shirt with two buttons for the collar up high, four on the cuffs for the hands, and about eight down the middle of the chest. Plus a spare replacement button usually sewn on where the sun doesn’t shine.

That’s why I suspected that the potential variability of the numbers could make this one a real bear.

Looks like I can't add a "solved" poll because it's been over a month since it was started :·(