Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I'm not the One Ring

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:42 AM

Two for the Elven kings nearest the sky
Four for the Dwarf lords who work on the stone
Eight for Mortal Men puffed up with pride
One for the Dark Lord in his dark home
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie
One to reclaim the throne, no one will find them
You are to bring him, and in the light bind him
From the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

#2 tiger_lily111

tiger_lily111

Riddling Foodie Fool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1782 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:13 AM

Spoiler for I'm pretty sure you're also not

Will have to keep trying.
"There's no such thing as 'one, true way'; the only answers worth having are the ones you find for yourself; leave the world better than you found it. Love, freedom, and the chance to do some good -- they're the things worth living and dying for, and if you aren't willing to die for the things worth living for, you might as well turn in your membership in the human race." -- Diana Tregarde in Burning Water by Mercedes Lackey

#3 Parth

Parth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:04 PM

is it :
Spoiler for Answer
or some other artifact related to LOTR ? [coz u seem to have changed a lot from the original poem ]

Edited by Parth, 23 February 2011 - 04:09 PM.

#4 Shadow7

Shadow7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

Spoiler for

#5 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:53 AM

Nothing to do with diapers or smores. I'm guessing that the champion guess came from the numbers in the riddle corresponding to the number of participants at various rounds in a tournament, but there are a number of other clues to be explained. And the answer has nothing at all to do with the Lord of the Rings. But if you do look over the parts of inscription that were changed in the riddle, then it would be safe to assume that the parts that were changed have been changed for a reason.

I suspect that this one will be very difficult. In part because I was limited in the number of clues I could include while keeping the structure of the Lord of the Rings inscription. In part because the answer itself is not something of quite so common knowledge as I usually riddle about, and not all that universal.

#6 Parth

Parth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:03 AM

is it something related to
Spoiler for

#7 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:48 AM

Nah, I haven't gone THAT esoteric. Not any obscure artifact or person from a book that less than 90% of the population would know about. I'm looking for what the "two" "four" "eight" and "one" things are in this riddle. It's still something that practically everyone is familiar with, and most people if they were to see the answer would then realize what the clues were all about and why the sixth and seventh lines were changed the way they are. As far as what I meant when I said the answer is not all that universal... well, you'll understand when you see the answer, and why it would make it more difficult to come up with the answer than I usually shoot for when I write riddles.

#8 Shadow7

Shadow7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:33 PM

Spoiler for

#9 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:13 AM

Just for the sake of not having people wander too far down a wrong path, I'll go ahead and say that the fact that the numbers are powers of two is really more coincidence than anything else. While the numbers are important, this riddle requires no knowledge of math beyond being able to count.

#10 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4743 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:29 AM

Spoiler for gotta take a shot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users