BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Here is a problem that I'd like someone to show me the path. Given: The difference between the squares of 2 consecutive multiples of three is 1989. Show the work for the solution.

First I made a list of the multiples of 3:................... 3, 6, 9, 12, etc...I noticed that there is a difference of 3.

Then I made a list of the squares of the multiples of 3:.. 9, 36, 81, 144, etc...I noticed that every term is divisible by 9

Then I tried to find the subtractive pairs that would give me the difference of 1989. Then I ran into the wall.

Edited by NuttyNumbers

2 answers to this question

You don't need to make those lists. Lets call the first number "x". That makes the othe number "x+3". (x+3)^2-x^2=1989. This becomes x^2+6x+9-x^2=1989. The "x^2"s cancel each other out leaving you with 6x+9=1989. I think you know how to finish this.

Hmmm, I see your reasoning now. So if the firs number is x, then the next number is x+3 since it is a multiple of 3. The other part is to square each term and set the terms in the equation form. Impressive, Thalia. You are a math GENIUS! Thanks.