Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tombstone Mafia

• Please log in to reply
446 replies to this topic

#11 Darth Legion

Darth Legion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

Posted Image
Spoiler for off topic (and invisible)

Edited by Darth Legion, 31 January 2011 - 05:42 PM.

#12 curr3nt

curr3nt

The

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2839 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

@araver - I liked that movie but I liked Inigo Montoya much more than Vizzini. Never seen the abbreviation WIPOM but I now need to find a way to use it in conversation...

I also figure my chances of dying N1 or being lynched D1 are about the same regardless of what I say. Araver thinks the baddies might want to talk to gather information so try not to say anything they might find useful. They already know who isn't a baddie so they are already a step ahead.

Also, I thought Mafia was a mind game. I want to make the baddies work for a win, not sit back picking us off.

#13 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

@curr3nt - Guide to Mafia, chapter VIII contains WIFOM (among others). Also, chapter V - "Don't assert that you're Innocent without backing it up".

And yes to both: Mafia is about mind-games (among other things)

But some mind-games can get you killed sooner. And WIFOM is usually best be avoided.
Chances of staying alive N1/D1 are actually bigger/best if you seem inactive (i.e. not say anything at least):
- Baddies don't target inactives (why should they, since inactives might not come in and vote or might not submit a goodie night action)
- Goodies don't turn on inactives early in the game (since they look inactive and might not provide a defense, and you end up lynching an inactive goodie by mistake).

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by araver, 31 January 2011 - 05:56 PM.

Summer of 2013:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for The Coup of Rhotus Mafia.You know you want it, we know you still have it in you so .... Come join the madness!  :thumbsup: 

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#14 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

I'm with curr3nt on this one.

Clearly the Cowboys have fallen victim to one of the classic blunders, the most well-known of which is never start a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well-known is this: Never go in against a Lawman when death is on the line. Ahahaha. Ahahaha--

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#15 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

I haven't seen that Movie in a while, but the speaker is dead the next second, right? :D

Summer of 2013:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for The Coup of Rhotus Mafia.You know you want it, we know you still have it in you so .... Come join the madness!  :thumbsup: 

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#16 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

That's right.

Come at me, Cowboys. You'll have one joyous time trying to kill me N1.

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#17 curr3nt

curr3nt

The

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2839 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

In case I get killed N1.

Suggested strategy D1: Everyone vote for the person below you.

Ike Clanton is a coward and takes one fewer votes to kill than anyone else. So if everyone has one vote on them he will be the one lynched since he starts with one vote.

-----

How the Cowboys can try to prevent this:

1. Billy Clanton can try to modify his shot. 25% it is x0 which means Ike is lynched. 75% it is a x2 and a tie vote occurs. 50% chance a goodie is randomly lynched. If a goodie is lynched then the one that voted for the goodie is Billy Clanton and goodies can kill him or lynch him the next day. 50% Ike is lynched anyways.

2. Baddies could switch votes to lynch someone. Person that switched would be a baddie and can be killed or lynched.

Shortfalls: Baddies would be need the person above Ike to be inactive or a baddie and not vote. In this case we could investigate that person.
No telling how the Indy might work this. Wyatt would need to not use his vote modifier.

-----

If a goodie is lynched then at least a baddie will be flushed out too. I believe this might be better than a random lynching that could hit a goodie without providing any information.

Please comment if you think I missed something.

#18 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

Please comment if you think I missed something.

Your strategy works on paper. What you missed is:
A) Inactives.
B) People that will claim they didn't read this.
C) People that will claim they read this and did not trust it/you.

Something like this has actually been proposed before, I remember reading about it in a Mafia (very long time ago). It did not work then either (I think because of A,B,C above. Mostly A and C if I remember correctly. But it was closer to end-game.).

And it's a perfect example of why mounting an operation such as this will make most players suspicious of you or at least not willing to take part in this (it happened to me in an early game). Try it and see who follows it. My guess is probably you'll get the Indy and at least one of the Baddies following suit.

Summer of 2013:

Almost random quotes:

#19 Glycereine

Glycereine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

actually I need to read the role descriptions again really fast but the only time the situation above is a flat out bad idea is when there are vote manipulators that can't be found by the day post (ie can change anyone's vote not just their own)

#20 Glycereine

Glycereine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:25 PM

ok, the goodie vote manip (wyatt) can change anyone's vote whereas the baddie vote manip (ike) can only change his own.

Barring an indie vote manipulation (pretty low chance for the random ability to be a vote manipulation unless paired with a second ability), theplan is sounds.

if people follow it and wyatt doesn't vote manipulate, ike is either lynched day 1, or is outted in that same post as the only person voting for the random goodie who ended up lynched.

now the night post can change alot. Like whether or not this is worth doing, BUT barring solid information, this is at worst a 1 for 1 trade and at best a dead baddie. Both of those are better than most day 1 lynches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users