BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Tombstone Mafia

1879 - the Civil War is over, and the resulting economic explosion spurs the great migration west. Farmers, ranchers, prospectors, killers, and thieves seek their fortune. Cattle growers turn cow towns into armed camps, with murder rates higher than than those of modern day New York or Los Angeles. Out of this chaos comes legendary lawman Wyatt Earp, retiring his badge and gun to start a peaceful life for his family. Earp's friend, John, Doc Holliday, a southern gentlemen turned gunman and gambler, also travels west, hoping the dry climate would relieve his tuberculosis. Silver is discovered in Arizona. Tombstone becomes queen of the boom towns where the latest Paris fashions are sold from the backs of wagons. Attracted to this atmosphere of greed, over 100 exiled Texas outlaws band together to form the ruthless gang recognized by the red sashes they wear. They emerge as the earliest example of organized crime in America. They call themselves, The Cowboys.

*Subtle difference, but it's more semantics than anything else. Regular Night cycle. Similar Day cycle, except there is no lynching. Instead every day there will be a "Shoot-out at the OK Corral". Votes will be shots and the player who is shot at the most dies.

Lawmen: the Goodies WinCon kill all Cowboys

Wyatt Earp - Can not die at night while Doc Holliday is alive. Action - Can make any "shot" x0,x1, or x2 - Has BTSC with Doc

Doc Holliday - Protects Wyatt at night. Can not die at the OK Corral. Rather a random shooter at Doc will be killed instead. Doc can send in a "do not return fire" list during the day. These players will be removed from randomization. Role will be revealed. Has BTSC with Wyatt. If all "shooters" are on list than all shooters and Doc will be in randomization.

Virgil Earp - Becomes marshal of Tombstone. Spies a target and discovers their role at night.

Morgan Earp - Roll of the dice. 1-6 = save, block, redirect, kill, no action, choice of {save, block, redirect, kill, spy}.

Turkey Creek Johnson - blocks a target at night

Texas Jack Vermillion - can choose to kill at night. If spied on, shows up as Turkey Creek Johnson, so long as he has not been lynched.

Sherman McMasters - former "Cowboy" turned Lawman. Traps a player at night. That player will be released at the start of theday. Can pm the host two yes-no questions regarding the trapped players targets during any night up to and including that one. If McMasters is recruited by Cowboys in Night X, then he will not be given BTSC but can request the RID of one role per cycle beginning with Day X.

Josephine Marcus - Actress. Seduces a player at night, protecting them from the shootout. They hear the gunfire and take a "shot" from her window but they will not die. Their role will be revealed if they have the most shots on them. She may not seduce the same player twice.

Marshal White - Can save any player from being killed, though never the same player twice in a row. May save self once.

Cowboys: the Baddies. Have Night Kill and BTSC WinCon - be in majority

Curly Bill - Leader of the Cowboys. Redirects a target's action onto somebody else.

Johnny Ringo - Spy. Can chose to RID Recruit McMasters instead, but not if he has already spied him. McMasters will not be given BTSC and will win with baddies.

Ike Clanton - Block. Is a coward. Requires one fewer "shot" to kill. ie if in a tie he loses, if one "shot" short then he gets to be in random lynch.

Billy Clanton - Drunk, but a good shot. May choose to make own "shot" x2 but there is a 1/4 chance "shot" will be x0 instead.

Indy: WinCon - Secret

Billy Breackenridge - Deputy who was friendly to Cowboys. Secret ability.

>> All cycles are scheduled to end at 7pm EST

>> Priority of actions RID recruit > redirect > baddie trap > block > goodie trap > save > kill > lynch save > spy

>> RID Recruit may not be redirected

>> Trap works as block/save

>> Night Kill may only be stopped by the target being saved or RID recruited

>> In the event of a tie, a random player in the tie will be shot and killed.

Host: maurice

1. Blablah

2. MollyMae

3. Oboe Passion

4. Hirkala

5. curr3nt

6. slick

7. onetruth

8. Vineetrika

9. Panther

10. benjer

11. EDM

12. Araver

13. Glycereine

14. young

Backup:

1. LJ

2. Darth Legion

3. Framm

Roles are being sent out. Night 1 ends Monday night at 7pm EST.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) All successful actions (other than spies) appear in the night-post?

2) Again, a little confused by the priority of actions:

>> Priority of actions: RID recruit > redirect > baddie trap > block > goodie trap > save > kill > lynch save > spy

As I am reading this priority, kills (assuming stands for both NK/Goodie Kill) can be redirected, blocked and stopped if attacker is trapped?

Can you clarify, please?

I reckon it is up to me to start the yappering.

All you lawless cowboys listen up. Me and the rest ot the lawmen are calling you out!

Everywhere you go we will be there. All the holes you yellow bellied cowards try to crawl into won't hide you for long. Reckon it is time you made your Peace.

1) All successful actions (other than spies) appear in the night-post?

2) Again, a little confused by the priority of actions:

>> Priority of actions: RID recruit > redirect > baddie trap > block > goodie trap > save > kill > lynch save > spy

As I am reading this priority, kills (assuming stands for both NK/Goodie Kill) can be redirected, blocked and stopped if attacker is trapped?

Can you clarify, please?

1) spies will not apear, RID Recruit will not appear, saves will appear only if needed, lynch save will appear if need during day post,

2) Kill only means goodie kill. The Baddie Kill can not directly be stopped, the target only saved from it. The goodie kill can directly be manipulated.

@maurice - thanks :D

@curr3nt - In past games, claiming goodie so early in the game (N1) was not a very good strategy - it has attracted attention to the person claiming it and he was:

A. Killed (if he was a goodie)

B. Lynched (if he was a baddie)

C. Brought into the spotlight (i.e. either A. or B. if he was an Indy).

Just sayin'

@araver - What do you suggest then for the Lawmen?

Wyatt and Doc do not have a spy action to increase the known goodie size.

Goodie spy actions won't be in the night post to provide clues to the rest.

If we drop clues without outing ourselves then we can force the baddies to drop clues. (Or else they remain silent and become noticable that way) We then just need to find someone lying to start tracking the cowboys down.

Silence is most helpful to the cowboys.

Unless we get really lucky the Cowboys are going to kill one of us regardless of what we do or do not say.

@curr3nt - Don't get me wrong. Talking is good during the game (both for goodies - reasons you said - and for baddies - pretending/claiming to be a goodie and encouraging conversation = picking up information).

But, during N1, with no information available, talking just leads to mind-games, WIFOM. And these mind-games have a nasty habit of turning against the one starting them.

ph34r.gif

@curr3nt - Don't get me wrong. Talking is good during the game (both for goodies - reasons you said - and for baddies - pretending/claiming to be a goodie and encouraging conversation = picking up information).

But, during N1, with no information available, talking just leads to mind-games, WIFOM. And these mind-games have a nasty habit of turning against the one starting them.

Excuse me, araver. Mafia seems to be based around mind games.

Edited by Darth Legion

@araver - I liked that movie but I liked Inigo Montoya much more than Vizzini. Never seen the abbreviation WIPOM but I now need to find a way to use it in conversation...

I also figure my chances of dying N1 or being lynched D1 are about the same regardless of what I say. Araver thinks the baddies might want to talk to gather information so try not to say anything they might find useful. They already know who isn't a baddie so they are already a step ahead.

Also, I thought Mafia was a mind game. I want to make the baddies work for a win, not sit back picking us off.

@curr3nt - chapter VIII contains WIFOM (among others). Also, chapter V - "Don't assert that you're Innocent without backing it up".

And yes to both: Mafia is about mind-games (among other things)

But some mind-games can get you killed sooner. And WIFOM is usually best be avoided.

Chances of staying alive N1/D1 are actually bigger/best if you seem inactive (i.e. not say anything at least):

- Baddies don't target inactives (why should they, since inactives might not come in and vote or might not submit a goodie night action)

- Goodies don't turn on inactives early in the game (since they look inactive and might not provide a defense, and you end up lynching an inactive goodie by mistake).

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by araver

I'm with curr3nt on this one.

Clearly the Cowboys have fallen victim to one of the classic blunders, the most well-known of which is never start a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well-known is this: Never go in against a Lawman when death is on the line. Ahahaha. Ahahaha--

In case I get killed N1.

Suggested strategy D1: Everyone vote for the person below you.

Ike Clanton is a coward and takes one fewer votes to kill than anyone else. So if everyone has one vote on them he will be the one lynched since he starts with one vote.

-----

How the Cowboys can try to prevent this:

1. Billy Clanton can try to modify his shot. 25% it is x0 which means Ike is lynched. 75% it is a x2 and a tie vote occurs. 50% chance a goodie is randomly lynched. If a goodie is lynched then the one that voted for the goodie is Billy Clanton and goodies can kill him or lynch him the next day. 50% Ike is lynched anyways.

2. Baddies could switch votes to lynch someone. Person that switched would be a baddie and can be killed or lynched.

Shortfalls: Baddies would be need the person above Ike to be inactive or a baddie and not vote. In this case we could investigate that person.

No telling how the Indy might work this. Wyatt would need to not use his vote modifier.

-----

If a goodie is lynched then at least a baddie will be flushed out too. I believe this might be better than a random lynching that could hit a goodie without providing any information.

Please comment if you think I missed something.

Please comment if you think I missed something.

Your strategy works on paper. What you missed is:

A) Inactives.

B) People that will claim they didn't read this.

C) People that will claim they read this and did not trust it/you.

Something like this has actually been proposed before, I remember reading about it in a Mafia (very long time ago). It did not work then either (I think because of A,B,C above. Mostly A and C if I remember correctly. But it was closer to end-game.).

And it's a perfect example of why mounting an operation such as this will make most players suspicious of you or at least not willing to take part in this (it happened to me in an early game). Try it and see who follows it. My guess is probably you'll get the Indy and at least one of the Baddies following suit.

ok, the goodie vote manip (wyatt) can change anyone's vote whereas the baddie vote manip (ike) can only change his own.

Barring an indie vote manipulation (pretty low chance for the random ability to be a vote manipulation unless paired with a second ability), theplan is sounds.

if people follow it and wyatt doesn't vote manipulate, ike is either lynched day 1, or is outted in that same post as the only person voting for the random goodie who ended up lynched.

now the night post can change alot. Like whether or not this is worth doing, BUT barring solid information, this is at worst a 1 for 1 trade and at best a dead baddie. Both of those are better than most day 1 lynches.

Your strategy works on paper. What you missed is:

A) Inactives.

I didn't miss that.

Shortfalls: Baddies would be need the person above Ike to be inactive or a baddie and not vote. In this case we could investigate that person.

For this not to work the person above Ike would have to be inactive/baddie. Anyone else inactive would not effect it.

B) People that will claim they didn't read this.

C) People that will claim they read this and did not trust it/you.

Something like this has actually been proposed before, I remember reading about it in a Mafia (very long time ago). It did not work then either (I think because of A,B,C above. Mostly A and C if I remember correctly. But it was closer to end-game.).

And it's a perfect example of why mounting an operation such as this will make most players suspicious of you or at least not willing to take part in this (it happened to me in an early game). Try it and see who follows it. My guess is probably you'll get the Indy and at least one of the Baddies following suit.

They would not trust me for suggesting an idea that could out a baddie?

We still have the night to get through. I just wanted to suggest this now just in case. It is dependant on goodie buy in and activity.

Can you point to the game where this failed?