BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

16 answers to this question

C- Latin for 100, and one curved line.

I do not agree with these answers as a line must be straight, by definition. Also by definition, my simple answer is as simple:

On a graph, draw the line x=100. Or if you want it to be Y then draw y=100. But either way, this one line will been 100.

I do not agree with these answers as a line must be straight

So what is the difference detween straight and curved;

STRAIGHT LINE

CURVED LINE-

LINE =

they are both lines

So what is the difference detween straight and curved;

STRAIGHT LINE

CURVED LINE-

LINE =

they are both lines

Again, I'll re-word what I stated above.

Wolfram Mathematics defines a line as:

A line is a straight one-dimensional figure having no thickness and extending infinitely in both directions.

It can also be described by two points, or y = mx+b in 2d space. NO CURVE can be simply define by either two points, y = mx+b. No CURVE is perfectly straight.

Its that simple.

By simple definiton, a line can not be curved, thus CURVED LINES does not exist.

edit::spelling

Edited by PolishNorbi

A line is a straight one-dimensional figure having no thickness and extending infinitely in both directions.

It can also be described by two points, or y = mx+b in 2d space. NO CURVE can be simply define by either two points, y = mx+b. No CURVE is perfectly straight.

Its that simple.

By simple definiton, a line can not be curved, thus CURVED LINES does not exist.

Maybe you can use other references PN. Here is one that you may consider that has an interesting point (No.2)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/line

What would you call a line that is wiggly - a wiggly line or a non straight line - is that not still a line?

Its that simple.

Webster Collegiate Dictionary defines "line" a straight or curved geometric element that is generated by a moving point; and defines "curve" a line defined by an equation. Moreover ent474 hinted: Not a difference what line is it.

How do you make 100 with one line. (there may be more than one answer. i don't know)

i will post the answer later.

Not a difference what line is it

you can cut a single line into 100 pieces, giving you 100 lines.

or-

in a linear equation, the points (50,0) (0,50) (or any points equaling 100) would be a line totaling 100. One single point ( x=100) or (y=100) would only give you a point on a graph

you can cut a single line into 100 pieces, giving you 100 lines.

or-

in a linear equation, the points (50,0) (0,50) (or any points equaling 100) would be a line totaling 100. One single point ( x=100) or (y=100) would only give you a point on a graph

here is a link to a graphing calculator: type in a number in the field labeled "y=f(x)=", say, 5, and see what happens.

http://www.algebrahelp.com/calculators/function/graphing/

this is because whenever there is an x, y=5, so when x=x, y=5, no matter what x equals.

By the dictionary, a curve is a contionously bending line. Which would mean, if a line is bending or wiggly that by definition is a curve.

But lets look at something else for a second;

English Dictionary states, adding is to increase something.

So who is right in this scenario with this statement 1 + (-1);

Mathematics say the answer is 0, yet that answer goes against the very first definition of adding.

Mathematic definition are completely different then English definitions. IE; What we call a straight line is really a line segment. What we call a "Infinite Line" is really just a line.

I love how you attack the definition part, yet descartes defined a line mathetically before any english dictionary was around. Which still leads me to this;

Explain to me how every line can be descrbed in y = mx + b, but yet if a curved line would exist it could not be described by this so thus a curved line can not exist.

By the dictionary, a curve is a contionously bending line. Which would mean, if a line is bending or wiggly that by definition is a curve.

Sorry PN, Not the dictionary I used.

English Dictionary states, adding is to increase something.

So who is right in this scenario with this statement 1 + (-1);

Mathematics say the answer is 0, yet that answer goes against the very first definition of adding.

off at a tangent here PN

Adding now means the result must be a higher number? My dictionary says "processing two or more numbers".

Mathematic definition are completely different then English definitions. IE; What we call a straight line is really a line segment. What we call a "Infinite Line" is really just a line.
the topic never stated MATHMATICS

I love how you attack the definition part,

Not an attack PN. At best we are arguing (Not mathamtical term)

descartes defined a line mathetically before any english dictionary was around. Which still leads me to this;
Cogito ergo sum. (I think; therefore I am.) he also said, and was French. And yes modern english has changed, and the first New english dictionary was about 40 or so years after Descartes. But do modern terms not apply ???? Is Descartes the only definitive source ???
Explain to me how every line can be descrbed in y = mx + b, but yet if a curved line would exist it could not be described by this so thus a curved line can not exist.

Well you are using the term curved line - but you say it does not exist??????

A line can deviate/change direction and be wigglely or what ever, Draw a line free hand - it won't be straight!

Bottom line (straight or not) the OP did NOT specify Math, only to arrive at a result.

I'm pink, therefore i'm spam! - Lost in space!

Descartes came before Des horses!

I do not agree with these answers as a line must be straight, by definition. Also by definition, my simple answer is as simple:

On a graph, draw the line x=100. Or if you want it to be Y then draw y=100. But either way, this one line will been 100.

PN, I'd have to say your answer does not solve the puzzle.

You say draw the line x=100.

That's already seven lines before you start - yours makes eight. :o

If you can assume some existing indication of "100", you don't even

have to draw one line; just point to the "100". So it seems clear that

you can't assume an existing "100" indicator.

Take a blank sheet of paper and create "100" with a single line. ;)