BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Nessie

Nessie - Back to the Picture & Rebus Puzzles

A monster snake, 45 m long, hides under water. The picture below shows the area where the monster is hidden. Each square represents 1 meter. Parts of the snake’s body are connected horizontally or vertically across the squares on the picture below. Above the surface, there is only his head (1), tail (45) and 23rd meter part of body (23). The yellow numbers on the margins show how many squares are occupied by the snake’s body parts in the corresponding row or column. Black squares are stones, where the snake can't be.

So where is the snake?

post-2-1175336919_thumbgif

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Nessie - solution

post-2-1175337040_thumbgif

A monster snake, 45 m long, is hidden under water. Parts of his body are connected horizontally or vertically. The parts do not touch one another, not even diagonally. Above the surface, there is only his head (1), tail (45) and one part of body (23). The yellow numbers express the count of parts in the current row or column. Black squares are stones, where the snake can't be. So where is the snake?

• 3 months later...

Huh?

in the picture under the spoiler icon, I have edited the answer's image. I placed the yellow squares where the image suggests the body parts are.

but within the red circle I found no possible ways to get this answer following the riddles rules.

could you clear this up

spiderman004lv2.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm missing something. What rule is being broken?

the rule that the parts must be two spaces apart either diagonally, horizontally, and vertically. unless the pieces can be placed the way a knight in chess moves, the above answer (or me) is incorrect.

• 2 weeks later...
Parts of his body are connected horizontally or vertically. The parts do not touch one another, not even diagonally.

How can he body parts be connected but not be touching? Do the parameters need clarification or am I missing something here? Did it mean that, EXCEPT for adjacent (connected) body parts, no body parts are touching?

• 1 month later...

i have another solution. go me...

i basically get paid to wait for phone calls and peruse this website =)

now if only i could figure out how to post this as a spoiler.

post-903-1191954421_thumbgif

place inline the image and then select the image code and push spoiler (you can name the spoiler as well)

• 4 weeks later...

place inline the image and then select the image code and push spoiler (you can name the spoiler as well)

awesome! thanks, love the site!

Parts of his body are connected horizontally or vertically. The parts do not touch one another, not even diagonally.

Yeah, I think we need some clarification. You said the parts of his body are connected, but that they don't touch... how is this possible?

the following wording might be better:

A sea serpent, 45 metres long, lies hidden under the surface of the water. The animal is bent horizontally and vertically, but doesn't touch itself anywhere, not even diagonally. Its head (1) and tail (45) are visible, as well as one other part of its body (23). The figures outside the diagram indicate how many parts of the snake can be found in each row or column. The black squares are rocks where the animal can't be. Can you establish its exact position?

the following wording might be better:

A sea serpent, 45 metres long, lies hidden under the surface of the water. The animal is bent horizontally and vertically, but doesn't touch itself anywhere, not even diagonally. Its head (1) and tail (45) are visible, as well as one other part of its body (23). The figures outside the diagram indicate how many parts of the snake can be found in each row or column. The black squares are rocks where the animal can't be. Can you establish its exact position?

Yes, much more sense. In other words, it doesn't crossover itself or use the same square twice. Thanks for clarifying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

How would that work? The serpent would take up 8 places in the first row, however the rules state that it only can take up one... Second row only takes up three, where the rules say 6 etc.

• 1 month later...

Hooray! I've completed it without looking at the spoilers.

At the begining, I stuck at the body number 4, then able to complete it after have found the hint from the first column "7" and last row "1".

What a snake! :P

too many in the first row!

The square lines divide the body parts of the snake, but going diagonally will not cause any harm to the dividing of the snake. It is so because if you cut corners you will disrupt the numbering of the snake parts. Each square is a mm long, so you must find a way to get all of the mm's together to from the snake. This would explain why the numbers already on the squares are there.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Nessie - Back to the New Puzzles

A monster snake, 45 m long, is hidden under water. Parts of his body are connected horizontally or vertically. The parts do not touch one another, not even diagonally. Above the surface, there is only his head (1), tail (45) and one part of body (23). The yellow numbers express the count of parts in the current row or column. Black squares are stones, where the snake can't be. So where is the snake?

post-2-1175336919_thumbgif

Nessie - solution

post-2-1175337040_thumbgif

I think this puzzle is poorly worded. If "parts do not touch each other, not even diagonally" that suggests two things.

1) There are spaces between parts, or

2) the snake never turns or else it would touch "diagonally" at any 90 degree turn.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...