Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

Mystery Operation III

We've barely started exploring our solar system when a message is received from outer space.
It looks like an encoded operation is embedded in the message. And it also looks as it is a test of some sort.

4 *&* 8 = 6
20 *&* 5 = 12
8 *&* 31 = 34
-------------
44 *&* 47 = ?
Maybe we ought to respond to it?

What do you think?

P.S. General rules are the same as in Mystery OP I and Mystery OP II
Summer of 2014:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for Justice League Unleashed (Again) - Second Arc: Of Magic and Men. Come join the madness!  :thumbsup:

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#2 Amanita phalloides

Amanita phalloides

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

Is this operation commutative?

#3 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

Is this operation commutative?

That is a very quick question :D
I'll answer it tomorrow when I add the daily example.

Edited by araver, 02 January 2011 - 06:43 PM.

Summer of 2014:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for Justice League Unleashed (Again) - Second Arc: Of Magic and Men. Come join the madness!  :thumbsup:

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#4 Darth Legion

Darth Legion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:36 AM

I notice that only a few numbers on this chart are not divisible by four, is this... coincidence?

#5 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:00 AM

I notice that only a few numbers on this chart are not divisible by four, is this... coincidence?

Coincidence. Noted and I will add another example shortly...
Summer of 2014:

Almost random quotes:

#6 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:02 AM

Daily example added.

4 *&* 8 = 6
20 *&* 5 = 12
8 *&* 31 = 34
15 *&* 2 = 9
-------------
44 *&* 47 = ?

And to answer Amanita's question:
Spoiler for

Summer of 2014:

Almost random quotes:

#7 Darth Legion

Darth Legion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:09 AM

If eight were the second number in any other group would the group end up with a result around six?

#8 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

If eight were the second number in any other group would the group end up with a result around six?

Sorry, I can't really answer that as it looks like a shot in the dark. And please use spoilers.

Adding another example to the challenge:

4 *&* 8 = 6
20 *&* 5 = 12
8 *&* 31 = 34
15 *&* 2 = 9
80 *&* 31 = 62
-------------
44 *&* 47 = ?

Summer of 2014:

Almost random quotes:

#9 Darth Legion

Darth Legion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

You answered with your most recent post, thanks.

#10 Darth Legion

Darth Legion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

Spoiler for question

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users