Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:20 PM

Spoiler for

Indeed you found a loophole.
Spoiler for

It is not what I intended with the puzzle, but I need to think on an alternate setting that would allow for a full indoor solution.

Summer of 2013:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for The Coup of Rhotus Mafia.You know you want it, we know you still have it in you so .... Come join the madness!  :thumbsup: 

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#22 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

More clarification:

Suppose that an infected member is in a room with a non-infected unconscious member, presumably he would need an excuse to touch the unconscious person. What would the infected member say about the result of his scan?

What happens when you connect two conscious crewmember together, one of which is infected, and the other being non-infected?

#23 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:58 PM

More clarification:

Suppose that an infected member is in a room with a non-infected unconscious member, presumably he would need an excuse to touch the unconscious person. What would the infected member say about the result of his scan?

He would need an excuse. Saying that the scan is positive and the unconscious needs to be cured is one such excuse.

What happens when you connect two conscious crewmember together, one of which is infected, and the other being non-infected?

Odds are the infected one will manage to infect the other without you figuring it out. It's not 100% certain but it's the worst case scenario you can expect (as I imagine that once the second is infected he will not say he was touched by the other).

Summer of 2013:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for The Coup of Rhotus Mafia.You know you want it, we know you still have it in you so .... Come join the madness!  :thumbsup: 

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#24 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

Spoiler for

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#25 willbrownsf

willbrownsf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:40 PM

Spoiler for What if...

Edited by willbrownsf, 20 December 2010 - 07:45 PM.

#26 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:52 PM

He would need an excuse. Saying that the scan is positive and the unconscious needs to be cured is one such excuse.

Odds are the infected one will manage to infect the other without you figuring it out. It's not 100% certain but it's the worst case scenario you can expect (as I imagine that once the second is infected he will not say he was touched by the other).

Well, if that's the case, then here's a strategy,
Spoiler for outline

Edited by bushindo, 20 December 2010 - 07:59 PM.

#27 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

Spoiler for

I like the quarantine-type solution yet it has one small flaw: you cannot be sure that an infected person actually injects himself with something. (low quality video and all).

Spoiler for What if...

Same flaw as in another strategy above: you cannot trust the serum from a room where an infected person was in as it might have already been tampered with. And think of an extreme case of tampering: it might actually contain blood samples from infected people.
1) Non-infected people will not refuse a serum they know it's been tampered it if you pair-up infected people.
2) If you pair an infected with a non-infected, you either give each other serum from the other's room (in which case you cure the infected and potentially infect the other one due to previous tampering) or give each serum from his own room (therefore not curing the infected at all).
3) Non-paired member can still be infected.

Edited by araver, 20 December 2010 - 08:44 PM.

Summer of 2013:

Almost random quotes:

#28 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

Well, if that's the case, then here's a strategy,

Spoiler for outline

:rolleyes: I admit, while creating the problem I was thinking of building on the same previous problems. Therefore your solution is very similar to what I had in mind. :thumbsup:
I do not know if a different type of strategy exists (different i.e. exploits a different aspect of the problem).

As I got carried away with writing the setting for the problem as a contamination scenario and forgot to check for loopholes, I also have to credit Jobe17 for finding an alternative solution.

Summer of 2013:

Almost random quotes:

#29 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:05 AM

:rolleyes: I admit, while creating the problem I was thinking of building on the same previous problems. Therefore your solution is very similar to what I had in mind. :thumbsup:
I do not know if a different type of strategy exists (different i.e. exploits a different aspect of the problem).

As I got carried away with writing the setting for the problem as a contamination scenario and forgot to check for loopholes, I also have to credit Jobe17 for finding an alternative solution.

Just read Jobe17's solution. Wish I thought of that. Thanks for the superbly constructed puzzle. I really enjoy it. It was devilishly challenging/fun to work through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users