Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:53 PM

A small scientific base was established on a planet. Scientific missions were scheduled where five people were on the base at a given time, while one was left in cryogenic stasis aboard the ship orbiting the planet.

The first team that discovered the planet has suffered an infection from an alien parasitic life-form that was able to control the persons it infected. Incident video logs had shown that an infected host did not show any external symptoms and that the infection was transmitted only by direct skin contact.
Since then, contamination protocols were in place in the base and a bio-contamination alert would automatically awake the person onboard the orbiting ship and give him full-control over base operations. A serum that cures the infection without killing the host was developed. A vaccine is not available, but personal medical scanners can detect the infection. Filters that detect (but cannot cure) the infection were placed on the outer doors.

You have been awaken by a contamination alert and discover that:
A) There are still five lifesigns in the base, each lifesign is in a separate area of the base. All areas of the base have stockpiles of the serum and personal medical scanners.
B) The log from the base has been partially deleted but the recovered log shows that there were two separate filter alerts at two outer doors. The alerts were almost simultaneous which suggests that only two infected persons have entered the base.
C) The automatic lock-down protocols have engaged before any two persons could have come into contact.
D) You still have control over the automatic doors sealing the areas and you can create a corridor between any two areas by remotely opening and closing the doors.
E) You have control over the air ventilation system and are able to induce short-term sleeping gas in any area of the base you choose to. Any person in that area will become unconscious in less than 10 seconds.
F) Video and audio communications are intact and bidirectional with all areas of the base.

You know that any non-infected person would be able to scan and disinfect another unconscious person while an infected person will most likely lie about the scan and infect the unconscious person. You can assume that in order to avoid detection, everybody will follow your orders, in order to be let out of the base and possibly infect a larger population.

Can you come up with a strategy that cleans everybody on the base? If so, what is the minimal number of doors you need to open?

Please use spoilers for your strategies!

P.S. While writing the background story for this puzzle, I figured that such an unlikely contamination incident can be analysed beforehand and handled in the "Guide for Scientists Stranded on a Far Away Planet".
If that particular thought has crossed your mind, please assume the above scenario is taken from the final exam before being allowed to become a "Scientist (Potentially Stranded) on a Far Away Planet". And that any form of cheating / exploiting weak points in the scenario might be frowned upon and lead to the denial of your application. And that this is not a Kobayashi Maru scenario, no need to Kirk your way through it ;)
I will however answer any questions you might have regarding what can and what cannot be done in the scenario.
Summer of 2014:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for Justice League Unleashed (Again) - Second Arc: Of Magic and Men. Come join the madness!  :thumbsup:

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#2 Bourne

Bourne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:37 AM

Spoiler for answer

#3 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

Spoiler for answer

It is not that simple as infected people can lie and are smart enough not to inject themselves. ;)

Edited by araver, 19 December 2010 - 08:45 AM.

Summer of 2014:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for Justice League Unleashed (Again) - Second Arc: Of Magic and Men. Come join the madness!  :thumbsup:

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#4 Chrono Shadow

Chrono Shadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

Spoiler for You could...

I'd like any feedback on my solution, especially if it's about something I can/cannot do. Thanks.

#5 docbagby

docbagby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

It is not that simple as infected people can lie and are smart enough not to inject themselves. ;)

Spoiler for but

#6 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:06 PM

Spoiler for but

No amount of video evidence alone is convincing enough as a basis. E.g. since you weren't around from the beginning, anyone of them could have hidden a ball and inject the serum into the ball instead of themselves.

And please
Spoiler for

Edited by araver, 19 December 2010 - 04:07 PM.

Summer of 2014:

Almost random quotes:

#7 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

Spoiler for You could...

I'd like any feedback on my solution, especially if it's about something I can/cannot do. Thanks.

A general comment, you cannot go down on the station.

Some comments on your proposed solution:
Spoiler for

Summer of 2014:

Almost random quotes:

#8 Akariass

Akariass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

Question: Are the 5 areas connected to a central hub, or are they connected to each other in a ring-like structure?

#9 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

Question: Are the 5 areas connected to a central hub, or are they connected to each other in a ring-like structure?

You can safely assume enough corridors are available to connect each pair of areas (a pentagon with all diagonals).

I did not think of a central hub location (as a 6th area), but you're allowed to use one if you need (although this makes the scenario even less likely in practice).
Summer of 2014:

Almost random quotes:

#10 rdshci

rdshci

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:19 PM

Spoiler for answer

assuming the two infected ones know who the other is you could gas all exept one. tell them to give give evryone syrum from their own rooms without even scaning them (make sure they do not touch anyone) then once they are back in their room gas them and have another person do the same. then just to make sure you didnt pick the two infected ones have a third person go and do it so no matter what one uninfected trustworthy person will have uninfected evryone
NOTE:tell evryone they are the first to be woken up and that no one has been injected yet

please comment and tell me if i missed anything

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users