Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:01 AM

Crack the Code 9 - Revenge of the Mastermind

Game Description
One player plays the Evil Mastermind (that's me) who nukes the states of the USA 3 at a time, the other players play Hackers who seek to stop the Evil Mastermind. Anyone can join in at any time as a Hacker.

The Evil Mastermind plays by posting commands which activate missile strikes. Each command has a unique password, which is derived from the command by a hashing algorithm. The Evil Mastermind devises a different algorithm at the start of each game, and posts the passwords along with the commands. The Evil Mastermind wins the game if he is able to post all the 50 commands.

The Hackers will see the commands and passwords in the thread and from this they should try to deduce the hashing algorithm. The Hacker who does this first, and correctly figures out the password to the command "ABORT", stops the Evil Mastermind and wins the game.

Game Restrictions
Since hashing algorithms can be exceedingly difficult to crack, there are restrictions placed on the kind of algorithm that the Evil Mastermind is allowed to use:

Spoiler for Hashing algorithm rules

Game Play

The Evil Mastermind posts 3 commands at a time, with their passwords. The interval for doing this is undefined, no point in imposing restrictions. The Evil Mastermind chooses the commands. Hackers can also request specific states as the Evil Mastermind next targets, if they hope to get more information about the algorithm through these states' passwords.

Each Hacker may make one guess at the password for "ABORT" each time the Evil Mastermind posts commands. If someone makes multiple guesses in between clues, only the first one counts, but if they make a mistake and correct it, the Evil Mastermind can accept the correction. More than one Hacker can make guesses in between Evil Masterminds attacks and the Evil Mastermind is forced to acknowledge and respond to all the input (limited to 1 per Hacker).

There is no need for spoilers when guessing the password, although please use spoilers if you reveal the algorithm. Hackers can cooperate in the thread and share what they figured out so far with the rest of the community, but only if they use spoilers!.

The first Hacker to get the password for "ABORT" wins. The Hacker that stops the Evil Mastermind can choose to share his credit with other Hackers if he acknowledges being helped by others' findings.

Alternatively if you've cracked the algorithm you can just use it to blow up more states if you're that way inclined (**per original Evil Mastermind's rules!) instead of posting the "ABORT" command. A successful input of a batch of 3 states (which were not played before) grants you the title of Evil Mastermind Apprentice. The game continues until either the states are finished or a Hacker inputs the "ABORT" command.

Game Commands
There are 51 commands, these being the names of US states (used by the Evil Mastermind to nuke each state), plus the word "ABORT" (used by Hackers to stop the Evil Mastermind). All commands and passwords are UPPERCASE.

Spoiler for List of commands

Game History
This game thread continues the tradition of the other games, but it is not directly related to any of them.
Each challenge is a new independent algorithm. However, you can read and try for yourself any of the previous challenges:
Spoiler for

Summer of 2014:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for Justice League Unleashed (Again) - Second Arc: Of Magic and Men. Come join the madness!  :thumbsup:

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#2 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:04 AM

And the first three states are:

MINNESOTA
MNES8627

VERMONT
VERM9782

DELAWARE
DAWA3934

Summer of 2014:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for Justice League Unleashed (Again) - Second Arc: Of Magic and Men. Come join the madness!  :thumbsup:

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#3 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

Oh, I can already tell this one's going to be fun! No time to attempt it now though :(

#4 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4743 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

could we sacrifice - Alabama, Arkansas, Alaska ...

#5 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

I think I'm on to the 1st letter...

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#6 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

nnngh... need... more.... data...

#7 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:25 AM

Sorry about that, caught a very long nap. Here they are:

ALASKA
AASK0800

ALABAMA
ABAM1020

ARKANSAS
AKAN0380

Summer of 2014:

Almost random quotes:

#8 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:11 AM

And more data ... as requested.

IDAHO
IAHO8160

ILLINOIS
IINO0560

INDIANA
IIAN0858

Summer of 2014:

Almost random quotes:

#9 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:25 AM

Three more bite the dust.

OHIO
OIOO7600

OKLAHOMA
OAHO4702

OREGON
OEGO0801

Summer of 2014:

Almost random quotes:

#10 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:51 PM

I'd like these please:
Louisiana, Kansas, North Dakota

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users