Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#11 KlueMaster

KlueMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:58 AM

Just 1 question, are these numbers following decimal number system?

#12 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:29 AM

Hmmm...

Spoiler for Is this a correct application?

Nope. Interesting thoughts though.

Just 1 question, are these numbers following decimal number system?

I don't want to answer that question as I consider it a fun-spoiler. Assume an answer, try to decipher and if it doesn't work, assume the converse is true. It's supposed to be a message received from aliens after all :D
All that the OP states is that the message was written down and passed on to you as it was received (e.g. four beeps and a pause were translated as 4 because this is how *we* write 4 using the decimal numbering system).

Summer of 2013:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for The Coup of Rhotus Mafia.You know you want it, we know you still have it in you so .... Come join the madness!  :thumbsup: 

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#13 KlueMaster

KlueMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

All that the OP states is that the message was written down and passed on to you as it was received (e.g. four beeps and a pause were translated as 4 because this is how *we* write 4 using the decimal numbering system).

ah, now you are making me think in binary, and more so in morse and braille :wacko:

#14 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:05 AM

ah, now you are making me think in binary, and more so in morse and braille :wacko:

:D I can't really stop you think at anything.
All the OP says is the message we received. The rest is, as the title suggests, a mystery.
As I said, the decimal numbering system is there to transmit a message between humans - you would not want the OP to say: "beep beep beep beep pause beep beep pause beep beep beep beep beep."
It's simply simpler for humans to convey the information (4,2,5) in a decimal way e.g "4 beeps pause 2 beeps pause 5 beeps big pause ... makes us think there's a relationship between those beeps before the big pause."

Summer of 2013:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for The Coup of Rhotus Mafia.You know you want it, we know you still have it in you so .... Come join the madness!  :thumbsup: 

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#15 k-man

k-man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:06 PM

:D I can't really stop you think at anything.
All the OP says is the message we received. The rest is, as the title suggests, a mystery.
As I said, the decimal numbering system is there to transmit a message between humans - you would not want the OP to say: "beep beep beep beep pause beep beep pause beep beep beep beep beep."
It's simply simpler for humans to convey the information (4,2,5) in a decimal way e.g "4 beeps pause 2 beeps pause 5 beeps big pause ... makes us think there's a relationship between those beeps before the big pause."

Well, you just confirmed that these numbers are decimal numbers. The OP dosn't just talk about the message. It also provides a particular interpretation of the message. Should we not assume that the interpretation of the message is correct and think of possible different interpretations? That is what I was trying to find out when I asked my previous question about the narrative containing hidden clues. Is the puzzle about finding a mystery operation based on the interpretation given in the OP or is it about interpreting the message and figuring out how to respond to 48 beeps followed by 73 beeps? :huh:

#16 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

*Sigh*

Semantics.

Spoiler for Just my rambling...

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#17 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:25 PM

Well, you just confirmed that these numbers are decimal numbers. The OP dosn't just talk about the message. It also provides a particular interpretation of the message. Should we not assume that the interpretation of the message is correct and think of possible different interpretations? That is what I was trying to find out when I asked my previous question about the narrative containing hidden clues. Is the puzzle about finding a mystery operation based on the interpretation given in the OP or is it about interpreting the message and figuring out how to respond to 48 beeps followed by 73 beeps? :huh:

OK, it's hard to push for one part of the puzzle and ignore the rest using the same logic, but I will try to clarify:
1) The fact that you're looking at a mysterious operation is forced in the OP (it's not hidden and it just restricts the puzzle to a very large field of possibilities)
2) The fact that the numbers represent in the decimal system the number of "beeps" is also given (from my previous response). It just a matter of easy communication (among us, humans) of how many beeps were received. So when the OP says (x, y, z) it does imply that x beeps then y beeps then z beeps were received.
3) The fact that the operation actually considers these numbers / looks at them in a decimal number system is neither given nor contradicted by the OP.
Another way to look at it is this: Imagine the same race as in Mystery Operation 1. They use base 3. If they would want to transmit number 4, the easiest/unambiguous way would be to transmit 4 beeps (which does not depend on the particular numbering system any receiving race might have). If they transmit "beep space beep" (11), then 11=4 only for races that use 3 as a numbering system. So, it seems that the inherently unambiguous way to transmit a number is to just transmit the same number of beeps. Of course, any receiving race would write it down in their own numbering system, but no receiving race should (Occam's Razor) assume that the transmitting race transmitted digits in their own numbering system. Think of it as a sort of "Assume it's numbers not digits, as digits may lead to ambiguity" golden rule of interspecies communication, ok? :D

*Sigh*

Semantics.

Spoiler for Just my rambling...

Spoiler for

Edited by araver, 14 December 2010 - 08:27 PM.

Summer of 2013:

Almost random quotes:

#18 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:21 PM

Spoiler for

Nah, I trust you know what you're doing. I broke my pencil lead. I went all anime and just stared at it in disbelief, my eyes asking: "Why would you break on me? Have I wronged you in some way?"

I'm going to go back to the problem at hand, though.

Spoiler for

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#19 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:59 PM

Spoiler for

No.

Summer of 2013:

Almost random quotes:

#20 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

Adding another example to the challenge:

4 */* 2 = 5
12 */* 17 = 28
30 */* 10 = 36
100 */*	93 = 186
42 */* 35 = 72
------------------
48 */* 73 = ?

Summer of 2013:

Almost random quotes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users