Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:00 AM

Mystery Operation II

Finally: a message was received from outer space!

At first glance it seems that it contains a sequence of 9 numbers coded as beeps and pauses. Large pauses group 3 numbers together, suggesting a relation might exist between them.
4 */* 2 = 5
12 */* 17 = 28
30 */* 10 = 36

Scientists immediately start transmitting our standard welcome message containing mathematical constants. For a while it looks as though no one listening until suddenly a second message is received.
This message repeats only 2 numbers for a long period of time.
48 */* 73 

Maybe we're supposed to respond to it in order to make contact. Can you help scientists figure out what we should answer?

Edited by araver, 10 December 2010 - 06:01 AM.

Summer of 2013:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for The Coup of Rhotus Mafia.You know you want it, we know you still have it in you so .... Come join the madness!  :thumbsup: 

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#2 k-man

k-man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

Spoiler for couple of questions

#3 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:47 PM

Spoiler for couple of questions

Spoiler for Answers to your questions

Summer of 2013:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for The Coup of Rhotus Mafia.You know you want it, we know you still have it in you so .... Come join the madness!  :thumbsup: 

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#4 LReese

LReese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:19 PM

Might be a dumb questin but what exactly are the */*'s supposed to represent?

#5 superprismatic

superprismatic

Not just Prismatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:40 PM

Might be a dumb questin but what exactly are the */*'s supposed to represent?

Look at Mystery Operation which explains it.

#6 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:40 AM

Look at Mystery Operation which explains it.

Thank you, superprismatic.
Indeed the setting is the same as in that puzzle (forgot to make it more obvious this time), but the operation is not the same, of course.

Summer of 2013:

Almost random quotes:

#7 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:09 AM

As usual, adding another example to the challenge:
4 */* 2 = 5
12 */* 17 = 28
30 */* 10 = 36
100 */*	93 = 186

Summer of 2013:

Almost random quotes:

#8 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:23 PM

I actually had a list of questions, but I answered some of them myself through logical deduction. Others are below.

Will any two real numbers always return an answer that is a real number?

Does -4 */* -2 = 5? -5? Or is there even a logical answer?

I've also discovered that while a */* b = c, typically xa */* xb does not equal xc (if we disregard x=0, x=1, or [maybe] a=b=c).

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#9 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

I actually had a list of questions, but I answered some of them myself through logical deduction. Others are below.

Will any two real numbers always return an answer that is a real number?

Yes.

Does -4 */* -2 = 5? -5? Or is there even a logical answer?

There is a logical answer. It's neither of those.

I've also discovered that while a */* b = c, typically xa */* xb does not equal xc (if we disregard x=0, x=1, or [maybe] a=b=c).

That's not a question, but I guess you wanted me to say "yes" to that so: Yes. :D

Summer of 2013:

Almost random quotes:

#10 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:47 PM

Hmmm...

Spoiler for Is this a correct application?

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users