Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bavarian

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:15 PM

Bavarian - Back to the Logic Puzzles
One glass has 10 cl of tonic water and another 10 cl of fernet. Pour 3 cl of tonic into the glass with fernet and after mixing thoroughly, pour 3 cl of the mixture back into the glass with tonic water.
Is there more tonic in the glass of fernet or more fernet in the glass of tonic?
(Ignore the chemical composition!)

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

Spoiler for old wording

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 Detra

Detra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:01 PM

The math is interesting; when you place the the 3 cl of tonic into the glass of fernet the glass now contains 3/13 parts tonic. Assuming that the tonic is mixed evenly throughout, when you take the 3cl the second time, 10/13 of it is fernent, which is approximatly 2.3 cl. The remaining tonic in the fernent is 10/13 of the 10 cl, which is approximatly 2.3 cl as well.

#3 ryan__

ryan__

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

whaaaa

#4 AyD3n

AyD3n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:46 PM

it works for any amount... if x amount of tonic goes into the fernet, obviously x amount of fernet has to go into the tonic (where else it is supposed to go?), so that both still has 10cl.

#5 haleythebuddha

haleythebuddha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:24 PM

[u][u]This made my brain hurt.

Literally, there are veins popping out of my head.

#6 Garrek99

Garrek99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:37 AM

Here is another way of looking at it:

When you bring back 3 cl of whatever the name of that drink is you are actually bringing back 2.3 of ferxxx and 0.7 tonic.

So in the end you get 7.7 tonic to the 2.3 fernxxx and in the other glass you are left with 2.3 of the original 3.0 tonic (3.0-0.7) plus the 10-2.3 (frenxxx that went back to the tonic glass) 7.7 fernxxx = 10.0.

#7 Numenor

Numenor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:37 AM

umm... I did it differently... Is this still correct?

After pouring the 3cl of tonic into the fernet, there would be 3/13 tonic and 10/13 fernet in the fernet glass (with 7/7 in the tonic glass).
When you pour the 3 cl back, you would get 1.5 cl of tonic and 1.5 cl of fernet (since they were mixed thoroughly).
That leaves 8.5/10 tonic and 1.5/10 in the tonic glass, and 1.5 tonic and 8.5 fernet in the fernet glass.

That comes with the same answer, but did I do it wrong and was just lucky, or what?

#8 Garrek99

Garrek99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:59 AM

umm... I did it differently... Is this still correct?

After pouring the 3cl of tonic into the fernet, there would be 3/13 tonic and 10/13 fernet in the fernet glass (with 7/7 in the tonic glass).
When you pour the 3 cl back, you would get 1.5 cl of tonic and 1.5 cl of fernet (since they were mixed thoroughly).
That leaves 8.5/10 tonic and 1.5/10 in the tonic glass, and 1.5 tonic and 8.5 fernet in the fernet glass.

That comes with the same answer, but did I do it wrong and was just lucky, or what?

Neah bro. Here is what I see wrong with the math:
When you pour back 3 cl you are pouring back 3* 3/13 =0.7 tonic + 3* 10/13 =2.3 fernet = 3.0 cl and not 1.5 & 1.5. You see what I mean. So, you end up with 7.7 & 7.7 not 8.5 & 8.5.

#9 Numenor

Numenor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:44 PM

Neah bro. Here is what I see wrong with the math:
When you pour back 3 cl you are pouring back 3* 3/13 =0.7 tonic + 3* 10/13 =2.3 fernet = 3.0 cl and not 1.5 & 1.5. You see what I mean. So, you end up with 7.7 & 7.7 not 8.5 & 8.5.

Ok, I see where I messed up now. I must have been thinking they were equal or something...

#10 riddler

riddler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:15 PM

this is getting to complicated. I may be wrong here but it seems to me that there would not be more in either glass. If the mix was even, the amounts of tonic and fernet must be even as well. No calculations need....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users