Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:34 AM

I like your thinking very much ;), but its

Spoiler for

In the original setting of the problem:
"In a future not so far way, Earth archaeologists find on a far away planet a fragment from a long lost civilization. This fragment involves an unknown operation *|*. Unlocking its secrets may lead to a breakthrough in understanding their civilization. "

Please allow me to state (and add to the OP) 2 informal assumptions I made when posting the original setting of the problem:
1) We're talking about aliens so they *might* possess different insights than humans.
2) It's a fairly used operation on their world, so one *might* expect the symmetry /simplicity / "beauty" of a human operation (e.g. addition/ multiplication, etc.)

Disclaimer: I am not implying the fact that an alien operation is bound to be hard to grasp by humans, just that in worst-case scenarios it might be difficult to translate in human-operations. This may or may not be the case here. Just sayin'.

P.S. I'm not sure how sane I am at this hour so if I don't make much sense, feel free to skip these assumptions. Other than the slightest hint possible, there's no real value / necessity in these assumptions.

EDIT: grammar :(

I was just being facetious. I know I didn't have the correct function, but wanted to point out the fact that

Spoiler for

The challenge is to find one that has 'symmetry /simplicity / "beauty"'. I'm not really good at this type of problem, so I'll wait for the correct answer from the brain denizens. Nice puzzle. It's rare for a puzzle on brainden to be unsolved this long.

Edited by bushindo, 19 November 2010 - 01:39 AM.

#22 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:50 AM

I was just being facetious. I know I didn't have the correct function, but wanted to point out the fact that

Spoiler for

The challenge is to find one that has 'symmetry /simplicity / "beauty"'. I'm not really good at this type of problem, so I'll wait for the correct answer from the brain denizens. Nice puzzle. It's rare for a puzzle on brainden to be unsolved this long.

You are right and also, I know that you are very good (from this and other posts you made in other topics) with linear algebra. ;)
Also, I forgot to say that you've probably uncovered
Spoiler for a possible major hint

However even if the answer is not obtained on this particular path, this doesn't imply that you cannot reach it. As I know from other topics, you're also a very good programmer, so you have very good chances to approach this problem (successfully) from another angle. I believe there are more ways to approach and solve it - either from mathematical specific viewpoints or theoretical computer-science specific viewpoints.

OFF-TOPIC :blush: Thank you for the (implied) compliment. I was worried at first that no one would try to solve it.

Edited by araver, 19 November 2010 - 01:54 AM.

Summer of 2014:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for Justice League Unleashed (Again) - Second Arc: Of Magic and Men. Come join the madness!  :thumbsup:

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#23 superprismatic

superprismatic

Not just Prismatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:26 PM

Evaluate 2 *|* 1 please.

#24 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:39 AM

This will be the final example, as I feel it's enough info already.

Recap:
 21 *|* 7 = 11
 17924 *|* 10751 = 851
 1089 *|* 121 = 2069
 10 *|* 23 = 6
 1 *|* 0 = 2
 999 *|* 909 = 1359
 14 *|* 14 = 14
 2 *|* 1 = 0

and
a *|* b = b *|* a

Edited by araver, 20 November 2010 - 03:43 AM.

Summer of 2014:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for Justice League Unleashed (Again) - Second Arc: Of Magic and Men. Come join the madness!  :thumbsup:

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#25 superprismatic

superprismatic

Not just Prismatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:30 AM

This will be the final example, as I feel it's enough info already.

Recap:

21 *|* 7 = 11
 17924 *|* 10751 = 851
 1089 *|* 121 = 2069
 10 *|* 23 = 6
 1 *|* 0 = 2
 999 *|* 909 = 1359
 14 *|* 14 = 14
 2 *|* 1 = 0

and
a *|* b = b *|* a

Oh...OK. I guess I'm done. Thanks for the puzzle!

#26 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

Oh...OK. I guess I'm done. Thanks for the puzzle!

What I meant by no more examples is that I think there's enough information for someone to solve it. It's actually very hard to judge how difficult a puzzle is when creating it. :)

If it does not happen in say, 4 days, I'll start adding more examples. I don't want it to remain unsolved :)
Summer of 2014:

Almost random quotes:

#27 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:42 AM

Declaring open-season on questions again :D

Ask for a particular "a *|* b =?" and I'll oblige. (Of course, not the pair the OP asks for :P)

A recap on what was so far (including a question from amateur that I missed, sorry) :
 21 *|* 7 = 11
 17924 *|* 10751 = 851
 1089 *|* 121 = 2069
 10 *|* 23 = 6
 1 *|* 0 = 2
 999 *|* 909 = 1359
 14 *|* 14 = 14
 2 *|* 1 = 0
 1 *|* 1 = 1

and
a *|* b = b *|* a

Edited by araver, 25 November 2010 - 11:43 AM.

Summer of 2014:

Almost random quotes:

#28 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

Adding another hint to the list:
 21 *|* 7 = 11
 17924 *|* 10751 = 851
 1089 *|* 121 = 2069
 10 *|* 23 = 6
 1 *|* 0 = 2
 999 *|* 909 = 1359
 14 *|* 14 = 14
 2 *|* 1 = 0
 1 *|* 1 = 1
 a *|* b = b *|* a
 a *|* a = a

Summer of 2014:

Almost random quotes:

#29 :-)

:-)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:48 PM

3 *|* 0?

#30 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:51 PM

Adding it to the list
 21 *|* 7 = 11
 17924 *|* 10751 = 851
 1089 *|* 121 = 2069
 10 *|* 23 = 6
 1 *|* 0 = 2
 999 *|* 909 = 1359
 14 *|* 14 = 14
 2 *|* 1 = 0
 1 *|* 1 = 1
 a *|* b = b *|* a
 a *|* a = a
 3 *|* 0 = 6

Summer of 2014:

Almost random quotes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users