Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#11 rajat_magic

rajat_magic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:50 PM

What about 999 *|* 909?

#12 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

What about 999 *|* 909?

:D

999 *|* 909 = 1359

Summer of 2014:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for Justice League Unleashed (Again) - Second Arc: Of Magic and Men. Come join the madness!  :thumbsup:

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#13 amateur

amateur

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:25 PM

This puzzle seems very hard, at least to my limited brain :unsure:.

You gotta give more clues. What is 1 *|*1 and 1 *|* 2? You can use spoilers so as not to spoil it for other members.
Thank you.

#14 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

This puzzle seems very hard, at least to my limited brain :unsure:.

You gotta give more clues. What is 1 *|*1 and 1 *|* 2? You can use spoilers so as not to spoil it for other members.
Thank you.

Here's one solution that fits the existing 6 clues. Plenty more where this comes from =)

Spoiler for

Edited by bushindo, 18 November 2010 - 08:43 PM.

#15 amateur

amateur

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

Here's one solution that fits the existing 6 clues. Plenty more where this comes from =)

Spoiler for

Spoiler for Are you sure?

Also, can you please let me know how did you come up with such a complex formula? Do you have some standard method for these kind of problems or you are using some computer algorithm?

Edit: added spoiler.

Edited by amateur, 18 November 2010 - 09:01 PM.

#16 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:32 PM

Spoiler for Are you sure?

Also, can you please let me know how did you come up with such a complex formula? Do you have some standard method for these kind of problems or you are using some computer algorithm?

Edit: added spoiler.

Actually, the example above does work for 1 *|* 0; ( 1700 + 1309*(1) + 182*(1) + 985*(1) ) = 4176, which is equal to 2 modulo 2087. I did not notice the post that required the operation to be commutative. That can be easily fixed. This is one example that fits all 6 clues and is commutative

Spoiler for

Edited by bushindo, 18 November 2010 - 10:34 PM.

#17 amateur

amateur

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:40 PM

Actually, the example above does work for 1 *|* 0...
[/spoiler]

Spoiler for Sorry my bad.

And thanks for pointing me to linear algebra. It has been ages since I touched a maths text book :blush:

#18 superprismatic

superprismatic

Not just Prismatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:57 PM

Please give the value of 14 *|* 14

#19 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:03 AM

Please give the value of 14 *|* 14

OK, first things first:
14 *|* 14 = 14

Edited by araver, 19 November 2010 - 12:03 AM.

Summer of 2014:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for Justice League Unleashed (Again) - Second Arc: Of Magic and Men. Come join the madness!  :thumbsup:

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#20 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:20 AM

Spoiler for

I like your thinking very much ;), but its
Spoiler for

In the original setting of the problem:
"In a future not so far way, Earth archaeologists find on a far away planet a fragment from a long lost civilization. This fragment involves an unknown operation *|*. Unlocking its secrets may lead to a breakthrough in understanding their civilization. "

Please allow me to state (and add to the OP) 2 informal assumptions I made when posting the original setting of the problem:
1) We're talking about aliens so they *might* possess different insights than humans.
2) It's a fairly used operation on their world, so one *might* expect the symmetry /simplicity / "beauty" of a human operation (e.g. addition/ multiplication, etc.)

Disclaimer: I am not implying the fact that an alien operation is bound to be hard to grasp by humans, just that in worst-case scenarios it might be difficult to translate in human-operations. This may or may not be the case here. Just sayin'.

P.S. I'm not sure how sane I am at this hour so if I don't make much sense, feel free to skip these assumptions. Other than the slightest hint possible, there's no real value / necessity in these assumptions.

EDIT: grammar :(

Edited by araver, 19 November 2010 - 12:23 AM.

Summer of 2014:

Almost random quotes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users