Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 puzzled

puzzled

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:20 AM

A school has 200 students. These are special students, some of them ALWAYS tell the truth, and the rest of them NEVER tell the truth. Among the subject areas of math, science, and social studies, each student has one favorite. A survey was conducted, each student was asked three yes or no questions: “Do you like math the most?” “Do you like science the most?” “Do you like social studies the most?”

The results were as follows:

104 students said “yes,” they like math the most.
86 students said “yes,” they like science the most.
60 students said “yes,” they like social studies the most.

How many students tell the truth, and how many do not?

#2 Duh Puck

Duh Puck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:57 AM

A school has 200 students. These are special students, some of them ALWAYS tell the truth, and the rest of them NEVER tell the truth. Among the subject areas of math, science, and social studies, each student has one favorite. A survey was conducted, each student was asked three yes or no questions: “Do you like math the most?” “Do you like science the most?” “Do you like social studies the most?”

The results were as follows:

104 students said “yes,” they like math the most.
86 students said “yes,” they like science the most.
60 students said “yes,” they like social studies the most.

How many students tell the truth, and how many do not?

Hmmmm ... I could be wrong, but my gut tells me that you would have to know the distribution of the favorites among the students. If every student liked math, the results would be different than if every student liked science. Right?

#3 puzzled

puzzled

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:02 AM

Hmmmm ... I could be wrong, but my gut tells me that you would have to know the distribution of the favorites among the students. If every student liked math, the results would be different than if every student liked science. Right?

In this problem you don't need to.

#4 redshift

redshift

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:04 AM

In this problem you don't need to.

Spoiler for Solution

#5 slinks

slinks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:08 AM

I think it's like this?
Spoiler for It's the truth

#6 Duh Puck

Duh Puck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:02 AM

Nice. I like it when the problem has a clear, simple, yet non-intuitive answer. Of course, I like it better when I think of that answer myself. I'll take what I can get. :)

#7 puzzled

puzzled

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:22 PM

Good work slinks. Good job redshift. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users