Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:38 AM

One player plays the Evil Mastermind (that's me) who nukes the states of the USA 3 at a time, the other players play Hackers who seek to stop the Evil Mastermind. The Evil Mastermind plays by posting commands which activate missile strikes. Each command has a unique password, which is derived from the command by a hashing algorithm. The Evil Mastermind devises a different algorithm at the start of each game, and posts the passwords along with the commands. The Hackers will see the commands and passwords and from this they should try to deduce the hashing algorithm. The Hacker who does this first, and correctly figures out the password to the command "ABORT", stops the Evil Mastermind and wins the game. Anyone can join in at any time as a Hacker.

Now hashing algorithms can be exceedingly difficult to crack, but there are restrictions placed on the kind of algorithm that the Evil Mastermind can use:
Spoiler for Hashing algorithm rules

Commands
There are 51 commands, these being the names of US states (used by the Evil Mastermind to nuke another state), plus the word "ABORT" (used by hackers to stop the Evil Mastermind).
Spoiler for List of commands

Game Play
The Evil Mastermind posts 3 commands at a time, with their passwords. The Evil Mastermind chooses the commands, but should generally do requests as soon as possible.
Each Hacker may make one guess at the password for "ABORT" for each time the Evil Mastermind posts commands. If someone makes multiple guesses in between clues, only the first one counts, but if they make a mistake and correct it, the Evil Mastermind can accept the correction.
There is no need for spoilers when guessing the password, although please use spoilers if you reveal the algorithm.

The first one to get the password for "ABORT" wins.

P.S. Alternatively if you've cracked the algorithm you can just use it to blow up more states if you're that way inclined (**per original Evil Mastermind's rules!)

I'm hoping this will be a slight increment in difficulty from previous ones.

UPDATE: Here's all the clues so far

CALIFORNIA
MPWOHZGB

NEBRASKA
IWBXRBQD

VIRGINIA
JJPHBGHW

ARKANSAS
RBQVAWZY

CONNECTICUT
ODHWHHVU

MINNESOTA
OFXPUZRJ

NEWHAMPSHIRE
IBRAVIJW

NEWMEXICO
PFEHHPOF

OREGON
DLPPPWDL

ARIZONA
CNOZBYJC

KENTUCKY
FQWTFTCR

WISCONSIN
VFPQVHQD

HAWAII
ZJHIBEZJ

MISSOURI
VPVWHQJX

NORTHCAROLINA
IFBYNQJO

IOWA
DZJPDZJP

OHIO
JPNIJPNI

UTAH
UZKVUZKV

IDAHO
BKPHEBKP

MAINE
JODPZJOD

TEXAS
FCZXUFCZ

COLORADO
PWZGNGPR

KANSAS
BQVAXRBQ

MONTANA
QUZPZRPQ

ALABAMA
HBQZBRZH

FLORIDA
PWHEBMSP

RHODEISLAND
EFJXQBQG

INDIANA
HBPZJOEH

MARYLAND
BYBQBQEP

NEVADA
EZFBQFEZ

MISSISSIPPI
VIXVHAYH

NEWYORK
FFBNWROF

SOUTHDAKOTA
IEBTPUZX

DELAWARE
BEZYDFFQ

MICHIGAN
FKHJBQPH

WASHINGTON
XIJOLWNQ

NORTHDAKOTA
UIEBTPUZ

SOUTHCAROLINA
FBYNQJOB

TENNESSEE
OFXVDFVD

#2 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:05 AM

I'm hoping this will be a slight increment in difficulty from previous ones.

Meaning you'll get more states? :P
We'll see about that.

Summer of 2013:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for The Coup of Rhotus Mafia.You know you want it, we know you still have it in you so .... Come join the madness!  :thumbsup: 

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#3 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:58 AM

Meaning you'll get more states? :P
We'll see about that.

You may be more switched on to the possibilities now, but I have made it harder to get a handle on this. No-one can stop me!!!

ARKANSAS
RBQVAWZY

CONNECTICUT
ODHWHHVU

MINNESOTA
OFXPUZRJ

#4 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:03 AM

I expect you're all floundering now. Like fishes out of water. Flap little fishies, flap flap flap, while I rain down destruction upon your little fishy heads!! Ahahahaha!!!

NEWHAMPSHIRE
IBRAVIJW

NEWMEXICO
PFEHHPOF

OREGON
DLPPPWDL

#5 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:08 AM

ARIZONA
CNOZBYJC

KENTUCKY
FQWTFTCR

WISCONSIN
VFPQVHQD

C'mon now, sing along with me everybody!
Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads,
Fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Fish heads can't stop nuclear armaGeddon,
They can't Ḍ̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣͉̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̹̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̜̣̣̣̣̣̣̟̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̟̣̣̟̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̮̣̣̹̣̥̤̣̣̣̣̣̣̭̣̣̣̣͙O it, they're too DUMḄ̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣͉̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̹̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̜̣̣̣̣̣̣̟̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̟̣̣̟̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̮̣̣̹̣̥̤̣̣̣̣̣̣̭̣̣̣̣͙.
Fish hEads, fish hɆa͏ds, roLy p̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣͉̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̹̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̜̣̣̣̣̣̣̟̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̟̣̣̟̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̮̣̣̹̣̥̤̣̣̣̣̣̣̭̣̣̣̣͙oly fish heads,
Fisḥ̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̥҈hӕ̖̗̘̙̜̟̣̣̍̍̎̐̔̔̔̔dᴤ, fiSsh heads, blow them up, ̽B̘̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̍̽Ợ̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̥̉̚Ộ̡̡̡̣̣̣̣̣̣̥̌M҉!!!

SING IṬ̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̹͓̣̣̣̣̗̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣͍!!! ̥̥̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̀̂᷆̾U᷂᷾͑͑͑̾̽̔̓́̅̚̕Đ̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̥͘͘͘͘͘͘Ḝ᷿R!!!̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣͉̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̹̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̜̣̣̣̣̣̣̟̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̟̣̣̟̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̮̣̣̹̣̥̤̣̣̣̣̣̣̭̣̣̣̣͙!

#6 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:07 PM

Ahem. I do apologise for my earlier outburst. This often happens when I'm a bit late taking my medication in the morning. I'm much better now, the pretty colours are fading and I'm back in the bunker.
Right, down to work. What's on my to-do list for today? Ah yes... "Cleanse the scourge that is humankind from the face of the earth".
Well, no rest for the evil, these nukes won't launch themselves...

HAWAII
ZJHIBEZJ

MISSOURI
VPVWHQJX

NORTHCAROLINA
IFBYNQJO

#7 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

I'd like to request NORTHDAKOTA, NEWYORK, NEWJERSEY.

Summer of 2013:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for The Coup of Rhotus Mafia.You know you want it, we know you still have it in you so .... Come join the madness!  :thumbsup: 

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#8 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

Scratch that NORTHDAKOTA, NEWYORK, NEWJERSEY.

Please target IOWA, OHIO, UTAH next
Spoiler for If I see a pattern

Summer of 2013:

Almost random quotes:

#9 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:36 PM

Dammit, this could be my undoing!
Still, I can't refuse....

IOWA
DZJPDZJP

OHIO
JPNIJPNI