Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#51 dawh

dawh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:56 AM

I know the real-life problem is often solved with brute-attacks, no argument for me there. This however is a small scale model - 51/3=17 - at most 16 guessing rounds.

I still would have liked to "patch" it up a little. I would have been much happier designing something that does not suggest a brute-force attack is feasible e.g. the algorithm in the first game. As I said, I was too anxious to start the game :D

I haven't made much progress cracking your algorithm, but I do think I have a workable one of my own. Not sure if I would want to host it next since I'm not usually around much on Thursday evenings (or at all). I still have to encode everything and take another look at it, but I think it holds to octopuppy's guidelines and it's fairly easy to calculate in your head, so long as you know what it is.

#52 Cherry Lane

Cherry Lane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

I haven't made much progress cracking your algorithm, but I do think I have a workable one of my own. Not sure if I would want to host it next since I'm not usually around much on Thursday evenings (or at all). I still have to encode everything and take another look at it, but I think it holds to octopuppy's guidelines and it's fairly easy to calculate in your head, so long as you know what it is.

I, too, have come up with one (still testing it). Will someone please solve araver's so we can move on? I'm completely stumped.

#53 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:01 PM

OK, then
Spoiler for here's a hint

Summer of 2014:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for Justice League Unleashed (Again) - Second Arc: Of Magic and Men. Come join the madness!  :thumbsup:

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#54 dawh

dawh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

OK, then

Spoiler for here's a hint

I've been staring at the lists of commands (spending more time than I probably ought :rolleyes: ) and I still don't see anything that sets the binary condition for the second letter or what separates the values for the eighth character either. :wacko:

The lists both look pretty random to my eyes. It seems like the difference between OHIO and IOWA might provide the best chance at cracking it, but I don't see what one has that the other lacks (they are in separate lists in both cases).

#55 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:29 PM

I've been staring at the lists of commands (spending more time than I probably ought :rolleyes: ) and I still don't see anything that sets the binary condition for the second letter or what separates the values for the eighth character either. :wacko:

The lists both look pretty random to my eyes. It seems like the difference between OHIO and IOWA might provide the best chance at cracking it, but I don't see what one has that the other lacks (they are in separate lists in both cases).

OK, that's exactly the problem with such an IF THEN 1 ELSE 0 rule, it kinda looks random for a small number of cases unless you stumble on a pattern.

Spoiler for Hint

Regarding starting a new Crack the Code game: I'm up for it, regardless of the solution for this algorithm (We can leave it be for now and think between games or I can provide the solution in "spoilers")

So who wants to start it?
Summer of 2014:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for Justice League Unleashed (Again) - Second Arc: Of Magic and Men. Come join the madness!  :thumbsup:

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#56 Cherry Lane

Cherry Lane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

I've not made any progress, either, but I'd disagree that OHIO and IOWA provide any special clue, since the hint we were given stated that
Spoiler for each condition

Meanwhile, I'm rewriting my own proposed code. On trial some passwords were requiring a full 40 seconds to develop. :duh:

#57 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

OK, I think I have it now...
Spoiler for it
Is that right?
With hindsight I feel like I should have spotted these sooner but somehow they seem to have eluded all of us.
I was beginning to wonder if it all hinged on whether the sum of all the ASCII characters was a prime number, or something like that :D

#58 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:59 PM

OK, I think I have it now...

Spoiler for it
Is that right?
With hindsight I feel like I should have spotted these sooner but somehow they seem to have eluded all of us.
I was beginning to wonder if it all hinged on whether the sum of all the ASCII characters was a prime number, or something like that :D

:thumbsup: to all three answers. The algorithm is now completely discovered.

<J was the rule in fact for both of my booleans (one of the booleans is in fact the opposite of yours). I can count to 10 using my fingers so I considered the first 10 letters of the alphabet to be friendlier(A..I) :D

Edited by araver, 28 October 2010 - 08:59 PM.

Summer of 2014:

Almost random quotes:

#59 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:08 PM

:thumbsup: to all three answers. The algorithm is now completely discovered.

<J was the rule in fact for both of my booleans (one of the booleans is in fact the opposite of yours). I can count to 10 using my fingers so I considered the first 10 letters of the alphabet to be friendlier(A..I) :D

I must say that those unknowns have proved to be a very tricky part of your hash, and considering that they could be evaluated very quickly, that's something you'd have to consider a great success (except that the code could be cracked without knowing them, lol). Seriously though, there are bits of that hash that would be time consuming, like counting the letters or vowels, but the quickest parts were the hardest to break. Interesting... I can't wait for the next one!

#60 Cherry Lane

Cherry Lane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:38 PM

Hooray for octopuppy! Showing you are the true Evil Mastermind.

Here's a question resulting from my attempted code development: What's the requirement for having to remember all the steps in the code? You've established that since you cant see the password characters after you've entered them, the remaining letters shouldn't depend too much on what was already entered (for those of us with short memories). But in this hash, there may be an implementation problem in remembering which rules to apply to which characters of the password (eg, does the munber of vowels become the third character or the fourth?).

Octopuppy's original code had some elegance that later ones have lacked: That the same basic rules are applied throughout the construction of the password. Code #2 mixed that up a bit, but at least repeated the same requirements for the first 4 characters and the last 4. Code #3 has essentially 8 independent requirements. The one I've been trying to construct does also, but I've found when trying to apply it I have to look back at my cheat sheet to know what to do next, which is not in keeping with the spirit of the game.

Thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users