Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Humans and Monkeys

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#31 deep

deep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:54 AM

2Humans, 1Big monkey and 1small monkey ride the boat to the other side of the bank - 2 humans and 1small monkey get down. 1Big monkey rides the boat back and hops out of the boat
1Human and 1small monkey take the boat to the other side. 1small monkey hops out of the boat. 1human rides the boat back
big monkey hops in and they ride together to the other side of the coast. Correct?

#32 Georgie

Georgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:29 AM

if there wasnt a limit on how many fit in the boat then they could all just get in!

and as for Jarod's post, the monkey in the boat, when he got to the bank would get out and eat the humans because there would be less humans than monkeys.

#33 Maye

Maye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 02:04 AM

NICE AND TRICKY THE ONLY THING I DON'T UNDERSTAND IS WHY IS IT USEFUL TO KNOW THAT THE MONKEYS THROW THEMSELVES OFF THE BANK.. WAS THAT ACTUALLY NEEDED?? :huh:

#34 manish patel

manish patel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:48 AM

Let's consider

__ = boat
..... = water
H = Human
M = big monkey
m = small monkey
>< directions

HHH Mmm __ .....
Hm >
HH Mm .....__ H m
< H
HHH Mm __ ..... m
Mm >
HHH .....__ Mmm
< M
HHH M __ ..... mm
HH >
H M .. ...__ HH mm
< Hm
HH Mm __ ..... H m
HM >
H m .....__ HH Mm
< Hm
HH mm __ ..... H M
HH >
mm .....__ HHH M
< M
Mmm __ ..... HHH
Mm >
m .....__ HHH Mm
< M
Mm __ ..... HHH m
Mm >
.....__ HHH Mmm

#35 MaxeyCdr

MaxeyCdr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:11 PM

I think that this is an easier and quicker solution:

Same aspects as original idea:

H = Human
M = Big Monkey
m = Littel Monkey
< > direction of boat
. no humans or monkeys

HHHMmm . .
HHmm HM> .
HHmm M< H
Mmm HH> H
Mmm H< HH
mm HM> HH
mm M< HHH
m Mm> HHH
m M< HHHm
. Mm> HHHm
. . HHHMmm

Only took nine total trips with the boat.

Enjoy

#36 vineeta

vineeta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:48 PM

first one human and the big monkey go in the boat, leaving behind 2 human and 2 small monkey and drop the human on other side
the big monkey goes back to pick a small monkey, leaving behind 2human and a small monkey and they go to the other side to drop the small monkey with one human
big monkey now picks a human leaving behind 1 human and 1 small monkey and drops him making two humans and a small monkey on the other side
now big monkey picks a small monkey, leaving just 1 human and droping him, making it 2 humans and two small monkeys on the other side
then the big monkeyy picks up the last human and they drop to the other side
BUT LETS FACE IT, BIG OR SMALL,Y WOULD D MONKEY COME BACK FOR HUMANS OR MONKEYS AGAIN AND AGAIN EVEN IF HE KNEW HOW T ROW... AND D BEST PART MONKEYS ARE VEGGIES AND DO NAT EAT HUMANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#37 hugemonkey

hugemonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:02 PM

how about this:-

HHHMmm...
HHMm >Hm...
HHMm...Hm
HM >Hm...Hm
HM...HHmm
>HM...HHmm
...HHHMmm

sounds rite ??? :rolleyes:

I must weigh in on this slanderous puzzle. I assume that by "big monkey" you are referring to me and I am shocked...SHOCKED I SAY at your libelous accusations that I would EAT a human! :o
but seriously the boat cannot cross the river by itself so it looks like you have gone wrong at the steps marked in blue.

#38 hugemonkey

hugemonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:07 PM

I think that this is an easier and quicker solution:

Same aspects as original idea:

H = Human
M = Big Monkey
m = Littel Monkey
< > direction of boat
. no humans or monkeys

HHHMmm . .
HHmm HM> .
HHmm M< H
Mmm HH> H
Mmm H< HH
mm HM> HH
mm M< HHH
m Mm> HHH
m M< HHHm
. Mm> HHHm
. . HHHMmm

Only took nine total trips with the boat.

Enjoy

A the red (for murder) marked steps you would have more monkeys than humans on one side. The puzzle states that you cannot have more monkeys than humans on one side (note it does not say shore) at a time. That would include if one or the other is in the boat, since the monkeys are able to jump onto (or off of) the boat from the shore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users