Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Humans and Monkeys

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#21 dissatisfied

dissatisfied

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:28 PM

I think that one big monkey, two small monkeys, and two humans initially approach a boat when they initiate this endeavor. Wouldn't that immediately put a stop to this problem since, before any thing gets on the boat the first time we're already dealing with a situation where we have 3 monkeys and 2 humans?

#22 jbroseorg

jbroseorg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:20 PM

Another solution that requires the same 13 crossings is:
HHHMmm...
HHMm Hm>
HHMm HHH Mm> m
HHH HM HH> mm
HM Hm HM> Hm
Hm mm HH> HM
mm m Mm> HHH
m mM> mHHH
...mmMHHH

#23 biodreamer

biodreamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:33 PM

Only big monkey and humans can row the boat and # of human has to be >= # of monkeys

HHHMmm
HHHm --> Mm
HHHm <-- M m
HHm --> MH m
HHm <-- M Hm <----- being eaten
Hm --> MH Hm
Hm <-- M HHm <----- being eaten
H --> Mm HHm <----- being eaten
H <-- M HHmm
--> MH HHmm
HHHMmm

I totally forgot the the last point where the monkey can jump out of the boat.

So it will have to be revised according to the solution.

Edited by biodreamer, 09 January 2008 - 08:42 PM.

#24 Snowball

Snowball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:18 AM

what with all the h's and m's and >'s and <'s and .'s i just have one thing to say:

Hmmmmm>Hmmmmm<Hmmmm....???

#25 dipti

dipti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:58 PM

how about this:-

HHHMmm...
HHMm >Hm...
HHMm...Hm
HM >Hm...Hm <---who will bring back the boat
HM...HHmm
>HM...HHmm
...HHHMmm

sounds rite ??? :rolleyes:

#26 jurmy2

jurmy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

im not sure but heres what i think please correct me if im wrong but i thing the big monkey should row the little monkey across and then row back and oh nvm i dont know lol <_< *sigh* complicated much hummmmmm

#27 ALFRED

ALFRED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

By saying the monkeys can jump out of the boat does that mean if the big monkey is paddling the boat he does not need to endanger the humans on shore when he drops one of the small monkeys off? That makes sense now that I spell it out. I love it when I answer my own questions.

#28 Jarod997

Jarod997

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

Actually, if you properly adhere to the puzzle requirements there is no apparent solution. Even the admin's solution violates the requirement "At all times, the number of humans on either side of the river must be greater or equal to the number of monkeys on that side". At any time, any side having only monkeys violates this rule since 0 Humans is not greater or equal to 1, 2 or 3 monkeys.

For the admin solution to be correct, the requirement would need to be revised to state "At all times, the number of humans must be greater or equal to the number of monkeys on any side of the river having both monkeys and humans".

Some would say having only monkeys on a given side would not result in a human being eaten by monkeys. That may sound reasonable, but the rule still exists that # Humans >= Monkeys "At all times ... on either side".

Chris

Actually, 0 >= 0 is true. In the beginning if there are zero humans on one side and zero monkeys, this condition holds.

I will attempt to word my solution as follows:

The large monkey "M" always rows the boat.
In each series of two transfers, the first takes a human, the second takes a small monkey.
*Note* There is no restriction on what can go in the boat
So then:
MH goes over, M comes back
Mm goes over, M comes back
MH goes over, M comes back
Mm goes over, M comes back
MH goes over, both get out

This assumes: M is always in the boat, and HM get in the boat and leave the boat (beginning and end) at the same time.

By keeping one monkey in the boat at all times we can always have one "surplus" human to move around without violating the human-monkey rule.

Comments?

#29 jitHU

jitHU

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:16 PM

no i guess not!!

#30 Vishmi

Vishmi

Advanced Member

• Members