Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#71 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

Spoiler for ABORT..

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#72 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

Spoiler for ABORT..

Password not accepted

*grins maniacally *

#73 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

I guess you've nuked all around the edges (and Michigan and Florida just weren't cool :angry: ), so might as well hit the dead center, Nebraska, emphasis on dead. :D

I agree with this. Though, he hasn't hit the state I actually care about, yet, so I'm not too upset over the losses. Texas was a reasonable trade-off.

#74 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:14 PM

I agree with this. Though, he hasn't hit the state I actually care about, yet, so I'm not too upset over the losses. Texas was a reasonable trade-off.

Intriguing, let me know when I do! I'm at the halfway point so the odds are shortening...

Command: ILLINOIS
Password: TJNMHKKH

#75 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:44 PM

Spoiler for ABORT

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#76 dawh

dawh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:58 PM

Spoiler for ABORT

Already been tried... :(

Here's a list of all the ones that seem to be on the right track (I may be missing a couple):

Spoiler for Failure

Just guessing randomly based on the pattern upon which we seem to have settled, there are 128 possible combinations, so it'll take a while before we hit it if we just work systematically...longer if we repeat ourselves. :P

#77 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:43 AM

Spoiler for ABORT....

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#78 Framm 18

Framm 18

Mafianiac (Silent Hunter)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1350 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:00 AM

Intriguing, let me know when I do! I'm at the halfway point so the odds are shortening...

Spoiler for Hint

Spoiler for Haikus

#79 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:58 AM

Spoiler for ABORT....

Password accepted, system shutting down.

NOOO!!! My beautiful plan of destruction, foiled!
And I would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for you meddling kids!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well done fabpig, you've saved 25 states and Izzy gets to keep Massachusetts for now. I'll let you explain how it works, if you like.
At this point, I'd like to get a little feedback from those who played the game. Is it dull, frustrating, or fun? From my point of view it's hard to tell, but I thought it would be something I'd enjoy from your side.
What made me think of this game is the problem of generating different passwords for all the different websites I use. Using a hash of the website name is the obvious way, but the algorithm needs to be something you can do in your head, and for ideal security, needs to be something that, even if someone guessed it was a hashing algorithm and had access to a few of your passwords, they still couldn't deduce the algorithm. It's an interesting problem so I made a game out of it!
In this first game I had a set of letters, easily defined but not obvious, which I treat differently, and used that to obscure an otherwise pretty obvious algorithm. Still I'm very surprised it took 25 clues to solve. Anyone in real life trying to steal your passwords would likely have access to 2 or 3 samples at most, so this algorithm works, but requires a lot of concentration to do it in your head. "COLORADO" was particularly taxing! :wacko:
Having given the problem some thought, I'd like to see what ideas other people can come up with, and try to break them from the hacker's point of view.

The Evil Mastermind rules are:

1) You must devise an algorithm to derive an alphanumeric password of fixed length from any word (password length 8 characters or less, you choose). It doesn't have to be a cipher in the sense that it can be decrypted to the original word, indeed the fixed length makes that impossible.

2) You must be able to do it in your head, with no external aids, in 30 seconds or less. You may look at the word you are hashing but you should not have to look at the previous letters of the password, since real-life passwords are generally shown as ***** as you type (although you may use previous letters as far as your memory can handle it). It's up to you to ensure that you can do all this. A really classy algorithm is one which fulfils this condition better (is really easy to perform, in other words).

3) Although it is quite possible to hold an alphabetic substitution table in your head, and apply it quickly, I'll rule this out because in conjunction with other techniques it's too difficult to crack. Any technique that requires a large amount of information to be memorised in advance is not allowed. Caesar ciphers with a large shift pretty much fall into that category.

4) Consistency. This is a matter of good sportsmanship. For example, if "ABORT" is the target word, you can't have a rule that comes into play only when the sequence "BOR" occurs. All rules should be general enough that they come into play in at least half of the clues.

I may have to rethink rule 3 if it is too restrictive, but without that the hacker's job gets much more difficult.

So... anyone want to come up with a new hashing algorithm?

#80 wolfgang

wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:21 PM

I was thinking in this code:
UQPCBSSN
but then I see the A which will convert the last three letters,so It should be:
UQPCBUQP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users