Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dark Phobia

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#31 postbost

postbost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

I belie believe you need to state that the torch must be carried back through the tunnel each time

#32 sunshipballoons

sunshipballoons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

Dark Phobia - Back to the River Crossing Puzzles
One family wants to get through a tunnel. Dad can make it in 1 minute, mama in 2 minutes, son in 4 and daughter in 5 minutes. Unfortunately, through the tight tunnel can go at once not more than two persons moving at the speed of the slower one.
Can they all make it if they have a torch that lasts only 12 minutes and they are afraid of the dark?

Spoiler for Solution

It also works to switch mom's and dad's roles.

#33 mollie

mollie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:13 AM

Wait, wait, wait... If they're afraid of the dark, wouldn't they get so scared that they run as fast as their 'fraidy cat legs will take them to the other side? Or, since you didn't say they needed to get through right away, couldn't they go to therapy first? Or take an airplane? And how did they get in this dilemma in the first place? At least with river crossing ones I can picture them as, like, illegal immigrants or something...

#34 DoubleT

DoubleT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:46 PM

It can't be done:
1 & 2 go --- 2 minutes
1 comes back --- 3 minutes
1 & 4 go --- 7 minutes
1 comes back --- 8 minutes
1 & 5 go --- 13 minutes

In the quickest situation 1 and someone else will lose light with a minute left

#35 hardxkorEMF

hardxkorEMF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:31 AM

[quote name='rookie1ja' date='Mar 31 2007, 12:12 PM' post='126']
Dark Phobia - Back to the River Crossing Puzzles
One family wants to get through a tunnel. Dad can make it in 1 minute, mama in 2 minutes, son in 4 and daughter in 5 minutes. Unfortunately, through the tight tunnel can go at once not more than two persons moving at the speed of the slower one.
Can they all make it if they have a torch that lasts only 12 minutes and they are afraid of the dark?

Spoiler for Solution

[/quote

if the longest time is the little girls wouldnt the torch only need to last 5 min

#36 my massive brain is sexy

my massive brain is sexy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:33 PM

or they can just go single file through the tunnel and wat kind of tunnel can only have two people abroad?

dude, thats what i said, and then it would only take 5mins =D

#37 mswelldone

mswelldone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:51 AM

Wow, is there some mathematical equation that can be used to figure that out? I had not considered wasting time by having the parents make the trip together.

#38 mswelldone

mswelldone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:54 AM

I belie believe you need to state that the torch must be carried back through the tunnel each time

How much fun would that be? :wacko:

#39 rainbow-

rainbow-

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:49 AM

Sure, they might be able to make it, but by the time they figure out the solution, they'll only have 7 minutes left on that torch. game over, man.

well if the family finds the solution before they light the torch, and begin after it's lit. Then it's not "game over, man" ahahaha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users