Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Flowers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#11 TEX

TEX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:59 PM

One tulip, one rose and one daisy. You do have to have one of each because the passage states there is. Its only tricky because most try to think of a larger combination due to the wording "all".

#12 moboo's pain

moboo's pain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:23 AM

he's exactly right because this is a basic riddle, it relies on the bending of words to make it challenging. many riddles are designed just to spark contraversy and debate.

#13 newton

newton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:36 PM

The debate comes down to wheter the null element counts as an element and in mathematics it does. You can have an empty set and a set with the null element (which are 2 different things)

In other words, all you guys who say the 2 flower solution is incorrect - you are wrong according to math.

#14 sajow4

sajow4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:08 AM

3 Flowers - Why is this so confusing?
1 of the flowers is a rose - "all of the flowers except 2 are roses"
1 of the flowers is a tulip - "all of the flowers except 2 are tulips"
1 of the flowers is a daisy - "all of the flowers except 2 are daisies"
3 Flowers.

#15 prasanna

prasanna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:04 PM

I have three flowers in which one is rone, one is tulip and the other is daise

#16 Riddari

Riddari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

I believe the two flower answer is legitimate. While it is misleading, it still meets the conditions set by the riddle.

As a programmer, I might be asked to supply a report of all of the people who's last name begins with a 'T'. By the logic stated above, I could not create this report unless there actually were people with who's last names start with 'T'. This is absolutely not true, the report would simply say that there were no people who met the condition.

So, to say that all of the flowers in a group of two are roses except for two of them is valid. It is awkward and unusual, but not incorrect.

#17 sajow4

sajow4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:23 PM

I believe the two flower answer is legitimate. While it is misleading, it still meets the conditions set by the riddle.

As a programmer, I might be asked to supply a report of all of the people who's last name begins with a 'T'. By the logic stated above, I could not create this report unless there actually were people with who's last names start with 'T'. This is absolutely not true, the report would simply say that there were no people who met the condition.

So, to say that all of the flowers in a group of two are roses except for two of them is valid. It is awkward and unusual, but not incorrect.

You are correct, but, as in other riddles, this is only one answer.

#18 roadent

roadent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:31 AM

The guy who asks me :"how many flowers do I have..". (and so on and so forth) and then denies the answer 3 is a LIAR. If you don't actually have those flowers don't say that you do.

#19 Riddari

Riddari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

The guy who asks me :"how many flowers do I have..". (and so on and so forth) and then denies the answer 3 is a LIAR. If you don't actually have those flowers don't say that you do.

That is not true, though. Providing the man asking the question does have two or three flowers, he is not lying. If he less than two or more than three flowers, then the "except for two" part would be a lie. The obvious answer is three. However, if he has two flowers that are not of the type he mentioned, he is not lying, his statement is just awkward and misleading,

Not all riddles have just one answer. In fact, the point of some riddles is to solicit different answers.

#20 sajow4

sajow4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:25 PM

sajow4 wrote:

Not all riddles have just one answer. In fact, the point of some riddles is to solicit different answers.

I had said that your answer was only one answer. There may be more answers to this puzzle.
Yes, that is true, and so it is unknown to how many answers there are to many puzzles, except for those of whom the answers are certain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users