Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 zoris

zoris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:01 PM

Moving only one element, make the following expression true:

DX = IX

Adding one element, make the following expression true:

IX = VI

In both cases exclude the obvious method of transforming the equal sign into the inequality sign.

Spoiler for Hint

#2 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:10 PM

DX = IX

Spoiler for removal

#3 zoris

zoris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:27 PM

Spoiler for removal

Good try LIS, but I wrote moving, not removing

#4 Duh Puck

Duh Puck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:28 PM

DX = IX

Are you allowed to introduce other mathematical operators? Otherwise I don't see how the statement could ever be true with a D on only one side.

#5 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:30 PM

Good try LIS, but I wrote moving, not removing

Spoiler for If at 1st .....

#6 zoris

zoris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

Are you allowed to introduce other mathematical operators? Otherwise I don't see how the statement could ever be true with a D on only one side.

You're not allowed to introduce other math operators. But please consider the meaning of the Hint.

#7 zoris

zoris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:38 PM

Spoiler for If at 1st .....

I understand your point, you may be right, but your solution is not in accordance with the given hint.

#8 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:40 PM

1 = Merci Beaucoup
2 = Gratzie

I like it!

#9 Duh Puck

Duh Puck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:13 PM

You're not allowed to introduce other math operators. But please consider the meaning of the Hint.

Well I've been considering away for a good 20 minutes now, and you've got me stumped. I concluded that there must be something more to it than just roman numeral math, since there aren't any standard solutions to the problems, as far as I can tell (there's really only one right way to write any given roman numeral, so no matter how you rearranged the figures, it would be impossible to end up with a correct solution, if that's all this is to it). Besides, your hint suggests something more outside the box in nature anyhow. So, I've been playing with measurement and monetary conversions used in France, Italy, the UK, and the U.S., to no avail. I tried time zone conversions, since one might argue that 500=100 if you look at the numbers as indicators of time, but I still can't make anything work out of that. Hopefully, if nobody figures it out in the next day, you can provide a bit more revealing clue.

#10 zoris

zoris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

DX = IX

Adding one element, make the following expression true:

IX = VI

In both cases exclude the obvious method of transforming the equal sign into the inequality sign.

Spoiler for Hint

Spoiler for Solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users