Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I'm not a chess piece

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#11 NickFleming

NickFleming

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

Does this require a lot of prior knowledge?

#12 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

Spoiler for .......

It isn't anything esoteric, I always make my riddles about something that >99% of people know about and will recognize. And they're almost always about a concrete object unless I say otherwise. It seems like those tend to make for the most satisfying, slap-your-head-when-you've-got-it type of riddles.

The yin-yang symbol has a lot going for it, but leaves open the clues about sunbeams through the cracks and about the snow.

hey plasmid - great to see you, and a riddle to boot! I'm not a confident riddle guesser yet but...

Spoiler for first guess

still working on a verse worthy response.

Hi plainglazed, nice to see that a lot of the old crew is still around. Not a magnet, the clues about sunbeams and diamond would still be hanging. But this one ought to be enough of an "OMG that's got to be it" riddle that whoever solves it will know that it's their chance to give a poetic response unraveling the clues and giving the answer.

Spoiler for Good one Plasmid.

Thanks, hambone. A TV/monitor really fits well with a lot of the clues, especially the sunbeams and the snow (back in the analog days) that have been pretty elusive so far. But the twin in line 2 and the part about going head over heels are left open.

WARNING: Funny answer! :lol:

Spoiler for ...

He he, sounds like you have a little one around, or else a very vivid memory. I vaguely remember that little skirmish. As your hunch suggests though, I can't find any way that he'd fit with the snow clue.

Does this require a lot of prior knowledge?

Nope, no specialized knowledge required for this one. Anyone ought to be able to come up with the answer, and if they're given the answer then they should definitely be able to go back over the riddle and read it couplet-by-couplet and recognize what each of the clues is referring to without needing much if any further explanation.

#13 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

Spoiler for ...

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#14 jehu09

jehu09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

Spoiler for Sports related

#15 andromeda

andromeda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3699 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

OK, another try...

Spoiler for ...

P.S. I don't have a kid, but I watched a lot of cartoons as a kid, hence my English knowledge :D

#16 EDM

EDM

Smiley Queen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

Spoiler for ......

Please Have a Look at The Board Guidelines... :) Before You Start Partying At The Site...Rules help out, here... :D :D :D
I'm The Smiley Queen Posted Image...Bow Down To My Smiley Smileyness!!! :P :D :D :D

#17 phoenixx

phoenixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

Spoiler for ...

#18 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:47 PM

Spoiler for ...

Not a pair of trees, there aren't any famous white-and-black combos that I know of for the opening clue

Spoiler for Sports related

Neither a soccer ball. I'd like to have seen more bicycle kicks in the world cup for the head-over-heel clue, but it has no heart of diamond

OK, another try...

Spoiler for ...

P.S. I don't have a kid, but I watched a lot of cartoons as a kid, hence my English knowledge :D

That's a really good answer. It fits the first stanza perfectly. The head-over-heels could refer to image inversion when a picture's taken, and snow if safeguards fail might be a completely white film or maybe blurry image if the process is fouled up. The diamond could refer to an enlarging lens used in the film-to-paper exposure process. If there's a good way that it could fit the clue about the mark of Superman I'd call it an acceptable alternate answer, completely unrelated to what I have in mind.

Spoiler for ......

It gets some of the clues, but leaves things like sunbeams and diamonds unexplained. Unless you mean a suit of cards which would explain the diamonds, but would call for red and black instead of white and black.

Spoiler for ...

Definitely fits the last stanza, but I'm not sure what the black part of the white and black clue would be or how it would refer to twins.

#19 andromeda

andromeda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3699 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:15 PM

Hm... let's try with...

Spoiler for ...

#20 dms172

dms172

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip