Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Evidence of God's Design

• Please log in to reply
442 replies to this topic

#421 EDM

EDM

Smiley Queen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

I don't need all this irrational 'logic' to tell me about God...God exists...the end. :P :D
Please Have a Look at The Board Guidelines... :) Before You Start Partying At The Site...Rules help out, here... :D :D :D
I'm The Smiley Queen Posted Image...Bow Down To My Smiley Smileyness!!! :P :D :D :D

#422 Quag

Quag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1707 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

well, after reading the first twenty pages or so, you have probably completely destroyed any faith in God I have. Thanks. but I still have a good reason for believing in God.
http://en.wikipedia..../Pascal's_Wager

Problem with pascals wager is what if you get the wrong god? ie catholic vs jewish vs muslikm (I know all the same god yet all say the others are going to hell) or what if hinduism or buddhism is the right religion? You could actually piss god (s) off more by believing in the wrong religion.

It also all depends on god only caring about whether you believe in him or not. It ignores the possibility (in my opinion certainty) that if god exsts he cares more about whether you were a good person than whether you believe in him.

#423 gvg

gvg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

Yep. That's what I was going to say. All you're doing is telling any god (we're assuming of the all-knowing Abrahamic variety, because 1. any deistic god certainly wouldn't provide a heaven-like environment (at least it hasn't in any description of a deistic being that I've seen) and 2. because it's more widespread) that you're only believing in him for a reward. As Quag says, you're assuming he/she/it cares more about people believing in him.

Pascal's wager, to me, is for people who are too afraid of repercussions to embrace the fact that there is currently no evidence, logically, philosophically, or scientifically, that a god-like being or beings exist. If I go to hell or what not for using my reason to realize this, then so be it. Because any being (again IMO) that prefers for people to ignore this inconvenient truth, going against the very logic and reason that was supposedly given to us by god, and instead to rely on faith, with threat of eternal damnation if we don't, is really not something I'd want to worship anyway.

...I think that made sense. Hopefully =)

#424 TheCube

TheCube

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

I am tired and don't feel like reading all 43 pages of posts, so I'll just post my opinion on the matter:

God allowed the existence of miracles in the Biblical Times to prove that he existed, right? In fact, one time, a disciple even said that if it is hard to believe in God WITH miracles, then, people in the later times are going to have a whole ton of troubles believing in God. So, basically, it is a big guessing game of the matter to some nonbelievers. But, many people would want someone to believe in and save them after they die, so, most people "seem" to believe in a Holy Spirit. I say seem because there are tons of people who play church and go to it because they want to be seen as a good person and get a good reputation. Anyways, for now, no living person knows if there really is a God, so the debate seems to be pretty much nonexistent because the believe can't have any proof except for faith. So, I say that the arguement is pretty much pointless. However I am a Christian myself, so yes, I do believe in God.
Jack and Jill went up the hill
to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown
And Jill just laughed at Jack as he sat there unconscious.

Jack should've known that Jill was a baddie . . .

#425 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1317 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:45 AM

Are you guys TRYING to convert me to atheist? :dry:

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...power-of-green/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#426 gvg

gvg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:02 AM

Actually, no. What I seek to do is, for those who want to, explain why the ideas and support for theism is weak and false. I do NOT try to deconvert people, nor do I care if you do. But since you mentioned Pascal's wager, I attacked it.

Those who don't want to discuss it, I don't discuss it with (unlike those door to door Jehovah's witness people. Who I have had the fortune to avoid thus far in my short 16 year lifespan).

#427 TheCube

TheCube

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

Are you guys TRYING to convert me to atheist? :dry:

I didn't mean to. I was just showing my opinion. You have to be open minded about this like when they talk about evolution in science class. Even if you don't believe in it because you believe God created the world, you still have to listen to your teacher, or else you fail on the test.

#428 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1317 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

currently I am Scientific Monotheism, the belief that science is tools for God. but at this point, I don't know anymore... I just don't know... -_- but anyway, good discussion!

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...power-of-green/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#429 gvg

gvg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

As Socrates (I think) once said, "The one thing I know is that I know nothing."

#430 TheCube

TheCube

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

As Socrates (I think) once said, "The one thing I know is that I know nothing."

Good paradox!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users