BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Our brains emit electric pulses. We have complicated machines to read these pulses. I believe that when we die, the pulses from our brain reach a frequency that our complicated machines can't read. I believe this frequency matches the earth's magnetic field. In a sense, we meld with the earth. Our minds are at a higher state of awareness than normal, so it is like an everlasting shared lucid dream. This would explain many near death experiences. People in comas often report seeing heaven. This "heaven" is in my opinion, what they expect to see, and therefore, what they do see.

What do you believe?

Edited by Blablah99

• Answers 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Why does something I can easily recreate with.. (not that *I* would) .. ketamine, DXM, or DMT and can easily be explained through neuroscience have to turn into something magical just because the general public doesn't understand dissociatives? ..I have had that "ghostly" experience myself, I know what it feels like, and I know what I saw/felt was because of how easily the human brain can be fooled. :P

..Unless you take the time to research the properties of the drugs I've listed and the science behind them, you can't even come close to saying I'm wrong. :)

Why does something I can easily recreate with.. (not that *I* would) .. ketamine, DXM, or DMT and can easily be explained through neuroscience have to turn into something magical just because the general public doesn't understand dissociatives? ..I have had that "ghostly" experience myself, I know what it feels like, and I know what I saw/felt was because of how easily the human brain can be fooled. :P

..Unless you take the time to research the properties of the drugs I've listed and the science behind them, you can't even come close to saying I'm wrong. :)

DMT is very different from DXM and ketamine. Those are dissociatives, which are powerfully psychedelic but still profoundly different from a hallucinogenic tryptamine like DMT. But your point still stands - human beings and many other animals have an interesting neurological relationship with certain chemicals. There are receptors evolved in the human brain just for delta-9-THC, the active compound in the cannabis plant. And there are natural reserves of DMT in the human body released during times that coincide with dreams and near-death-experiences (NDEs).

edit ~ however, OBEs (out of body experiences) are similar in nature chemically to experiences caused by dissociatives

Edited by unreality

I'm not really interested in getting bogged down in this thread, but I have to wonder what people who believe in "Life-After-Death" think about the lives of other animals (and plants and fungi and protists and monerans) and their existence (or nonexistence) before and/or after death. :unsure:

If there's a god that won't forgive me for refusing to take something on faith because he gave us nil evidence in support of it and overwhelming evidence against, that's not a god I want to worship. If he can't accept that I couldn't accept him because I had no means of distinguishing him from an imaginary god, I want nothing to do with him. If God is really THAT selfish and jealous that he's going to make atheists suffer because we wouldn't comply with his every whim, that god is a jackass.

I would ask "What if I'm right and there is no God? You've wasted your entire life.." but that isn't a real question, because you'll say it made you happy, and that's all that matters in life. :P

Don't want to see you get angry over a topic like this. Not trying to make you believe. That is the first most wonderful thing about God. He gives you FREE WILL to choose whatever you want. Not going to force Himself on anyone.

Euuggghh. Not another religious debate. We've had at least ten of these on this website. Here's how it goes. A few religious people will step in. A few atheists (me, unreality, dawh, octopuppy, ADParker, and possibly others) will chew up your arguments and convince you beyond a reasonable doubt that you take your god entirely on faith. You will then tell us faith is awesome. We'll tell you that while we can't throw out faith, there is not one iota of evidence for this god, giving the faithless no reason to accept. We'll agree on our differences. This will last roughly a week, and total about 15 pages.

Please, not again. D:

We can, if you want. We'd have to dig up the old threads though. It'd really be easier if you just read through them. :P

An alias, no always been hambone. Drummer in a rock band, cocaine addict, been with more women than I can remember (before I was married) been diagnosed with to much blood in my alcohol stream all this and more before either of you were born. I did not always believe in God and have confessed and believed just as you have. I am not talking about the boring religion that you must only remember from when you were younger and forced to go to church or told what to believe. It is so much better and bigger than that.

unreality, curious about what? The reason that a thread about this topic does not last and is locked is from fear anger and resentment. People just don't know how to be nice. I'm not going to try to convince you of anything, that is where the first mistake is in this kind of topic. You want me to prove to you, how I KNOW there is an all knowing God. When he is most capable of proving Himself, if you asked for Him to do just that. Prove Himself to you. ASK. Unless your afraid that He will do just that. Prove Himself. None the less I can't prove anything to you if you choose not to believe. Remember just because you don't believe does not mean He does not exist.

Edited by hambone

unreality, curious about what? The reason that a thread about this topic does not last and is locked is from fear anger and resentment. People just don't know how to be nice. I'm not going to try to convince you of anything, that is where the first mistake is in this kind of topic. You want me to prove to you, how I KNOW there is an all knowing God. When he is most capable of proving Himself, if you asked for Him to do just that. Prove Himself to you. ASK. Unless your afraid that He will do just that. Prove Himself. None the less I can't prove anything to you if you choose not to believe. Remember just because you don't believe does not mean He does not exist.

Oh I have asked, believe me. Do you then expect me to take any kind of random phenomenon and try to attach them to make them into a meaningful intelligent picture?

Alright, let's do this. Start your argument in a new thread, and we will all systematically reply to it.

..If you're a coke addict, I find it hard to imagine you haven't at least done LSD. I know it's not really dissociative like DXM or Ketamine, but it is somewhat similar to DMT in its hallucinogenic nature. Surely you, compared to some of the younger people on this board, can see with absolute clarity of cause of the trips during near death experiences?