Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Elder Twin

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#41 Philly

Philly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:12 AM

How is Terry the older twin than? Read the question again.

ah right, backwards time and whatnot.

#42 richieCda

richieCda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:59 PM

One day Kerry celebrated her birthday. Two days later her older twin brother, Terry, celebrated his birthday. How come?
This puzzle was submitted to Games Magazine's 'How Come' competition in 1992 by Judy Dean. It won.

So I'm not too smart, and before looking at the Spoiler, here's the first thought - but not the last - that crossed my mind:
Kerry was delivered at 11:59pm on February 28th of a non-leap year, and Terry was delivered at 12:01am on March 1st.
The next year - on there 1st birthday, is a leap year.
Kerry celebrates her birthday on February 28th, and 2 days later Terry celebrates his bithday on March 1st.

Does that work for a dumb guy like me?

#43 richieCda

richieCda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:03 PM

So close - and I'll bet my answer is very common.

#44 pacman 1226

pacman 1226

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:45 AM

Ok, I've read a lot answers and I just thought of a unique one (I hope). Who said it was his actual birthday. I remember celebrating my birthday a couple of months after my real birthday. i don't think it counts, but it is original

#45 maverick1999

maverick1999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:58 AM

The Elder Twin - Back to the River Crossing Puzzles
One day Kerry celebrated her birthday. Two days later her older twin brother, Terry, celebrated his birthday. How come?
This puzzle was submitted to Games Magazine's 'How Come' competition in 1992 by Judy Dean. It won.

Spoiler for Solution

OR

Kerry was born just before midnight on 28th Febuary of a non leap year and her brother was born on 1st of March. This year is a leap year so his birthday is 2 days later

#46 Vishmi

Vishmi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:04 AM

He he he...
I thought of a different answer. This question doesn't say that Kerry is the other twin of Terry. So Terry might be having another twin younger brother(not Kerry). So only Terry and his younger brother are twins. So it is posible for Kerry to celebrate her birthday two days later her older twin brother, Terry. :)

#47 cd41

cd41

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:28 PM

Actually there is yet another possible answer. It could be the case that Kerry has a set of older twin siblings and the question only refers to one of them, Terry while the other (Jerry?) is not mentioned for the sake of ambiguity.

They werent all born at once. there are 2 sets in what u replied to

#48 lets get out of this town

lets get out of this town

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:45 AM

anybody think of this?
they didnt want to celebrate together...so the older twin decided to celebrate his 2 days later
they didnt say his actual birthday was two days later..just the celebration

#49 RThomMac

RThomMac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

I would like to point out three things:
1 - The Mother would have to cross the International Date Line from west to east, that is from Japan direction California.
2 - The fisrt birth does NOT have to be early, even 2200hrs would be OK, as then the second birth would be at 2300hrs on Feb. 28.
3 - Crossing ANY time line does NOT do the trick.

#50 RThomMac

RThomMac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

I would like to point out three things:
1 - The Mother would have to cross the International Date Line from west to east, that is from Japan direction California.
2 - The fisrt birth does NOT have to be early, even 2200hrs would be OK, as then the second birth would be at 2300hrs on Feb. 28.
3 - Crossing ANY time line does NOT do the trick.

I would like to add to my comments: I just realized that there are two ways of 'going back in time'. One way is as my comments above. The other way is indeed to cross ANY time line, but then in the direction east to west. And then it does have to be EARLY. First birth 0005 hrs March 1st, cross time line east to west, second birth 2310 hrs Feb 28.

Thus there are two mutually exclusive ways to fulfill the conditions of this excellent poser!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users