Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Elder Twin

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#31 titx

titx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:12 PM

How about this alternative solution.

A woman going into labor can take quite some time (e.g. 24-36 hours). So suppose she goes into labor and gives birth to the first twin at 11:59pm. She then remains in labor for over 24 hours before the second twin comes out. Technically these twins would have been born 2 days apart.

#32 Wind

Wind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:18 AM

I have another riddle to go with that.
Terry celebrated her birthday 4 day's before her twin, Kerry. How is this possible?
Their mom was in labor at 11:59 on a boat and had Terry at that time.Then it was 12:00 so they had already gone one day more. they then crossed the international date line (I hope you are keeping up) and to shake it more up it was February 28 and their mom was in labor for 24 more hours so it was March 3 when Kerry was born. Then on leap years there is February 29 so that is 4 days.

#33 live4him4eva

live4him4eva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:17 PM

Though quickly after guessing I found out I was wrong because I wasn't paying attention to dates, but I was thinking that the mother had a hell of a time with the labor. :lol:

My second guess was that her older twin brother was older than her, but was actually twins with another brother or sister. I'd have to put a little more thought into it to see if it could fit, but I think the only problem in that would be the debate over whether or not the phrase "older twin brother" could mean that she was actually twins with him, or if he was older than her, but twins with another kid. Anyone have any input?

By the way, awesome riddle. xD I wonder if anyone truthfully guessed this one correctly.

#34 Sharpshark

Sharpshark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:49 AM

the trick, the OLDER twin brother. this means that there might be a younger twin brother (not terry). It is pure chance that thier birthdays are so close.

#35 pitbull200

pitbull200

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:39 AM

OMG people, this is soooo easy!!!

Kerry was born on the night of the 28th of Feb that was not in a leap year very close to midnight... Terry came out after midnight, on the 1st of March... On this particular day, it was during a Leap year, which would seperate they're birthdays by an extra day! Adding the 29th of Febuary.

OK, wait... I just caught on now... How can the older brother celebrate his birthday two days AFTER, instead of before?

Edited by pitbull200, 27 February 2008 - 04:44 AM.

#36 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:01 AM

OK, wait... I just caught on now... How can the older brother celebrate his birthday two days AFTER, instead of before?

time zones ... check my solution in the first post

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#37 heatherlovesjade

heatherlovesjade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:03 AM

he was born first two days before- or they celabrated there birthdays on different days because they did that when they were youner- or he is her brother who is a twin to the other twin who is not her.

#38 aliveforthenight

aliveforthenight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:21 PM

they could be irish twins! siblings born within the same year... Terry was born March 8 of 2000, Kerry was born March 6 of 2001.

#39 Philly

Philly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:32 PM

I know it's a year late, but here's my take:

Kerry is born at 11:50, February 28th. Terry is born at 12:10, March 1st.

The year in question is a leap year. Therefore, Kerry celebrates his birthday on February 28th, and 2 days later, Terry celebrates on the 1st of March.

Edited by Philly, 12 March 2008 - 06:33 PM.

#40 aliveforthenight

aliveforthenight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

I know it's a year late, but here's my take:

Kerry is born at 11:50, February 28th. Terry is born at 12:10, March 1st.

The year in question is a leap year. Therefore, Kerry celebrates his birthday on February 28th, and 2 days later, Terry celebrates on the 1st of March.

How is Terry the older twin than? Read the question again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users