Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Elder Twin

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#11 NID151

NID151

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:11 AM

I agree with "qazqaz," I dont' celebrate my birthday on the exact date of my birth.

#12 Simran

Simran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:16 PM

There is one more solution, I can think of.

May be both of them borned on 1st March and they were living in different timezone when they celebrated their birthday, which made terry celebrated birthday after 2 days of Kerry.

I think this could be a second answer because it doesnt say they celebrated it at the same place.

Thanks.

#13 aesculapius

aesculapius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:53 AM

May be both of them borned on 1st March and they were living in different timezone when they celebrated their birthday, which made terry celebrated birthday after 2 days of Kerry.

I think this could be a second answer because it doesnt say they celebrated it at the same place.

that isn't quite possible. assuming you live on earth and assuming you were both born on the same day. then it must follow that your birthday must be celebrated within 23 hours. There cannot be a 48 hours timezone difference. Even if you were continuously moving to different timezones to change the time of reference, it doesn't eliminate the fact that the birthday started at what time in what zone.

#14 KValin

KValin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:18 PM

Clearly, the brother, a fraternal twin, was simply born later.

#15 Riddari

Riddari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:33 PM

Clearly, the brother, a fraternal twin, was simply born later.

This is not true because the puzzle states that the brother is older. So, he had to be born earlier. This is why the crossing of the dateline is required. Of course, it does not really have to be the dateline

I agree with rayne1984 and puzzlewuzzle's solution as well. The ambiguity af the language does not clearly specify that the brother and sister are twins, just that the brother is a twin.

#16 cohz

cohz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:52 AM

the girl is not one of the wins. she had old twins brother called terry and berry...or whatever. and their birthday is two day late than the girls.

#17 TEX

TEX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:39 AM

The leap year answer is agreeable, also the one above this posting could be true.

#18 mtgoodrich

mtgoodrich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:28 PM

There is also an American solution:
The mother could be in an ambulance traveling on her way to a hospital that is in a different time zone (such as in the border town, Gary, Indiana). She could deliver the older son at 12:05am on March 1, in the ambulance, on the way to the hospital. Then, she could cross the time zone so as to arrive at the hospital at 11:30pm on February 28 and deliver the younger son.

#19 LadySixela

LadySixela

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:14 PM

One was born Feb. 28th, the other March 1st and this year is leap year.

#20 abbracadabbra

abbracadabbra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:30 PM

Actually there is another solution. There was a rare case in America where a mother became pregnant some 6 months after she had already concieved. Since both children were in the womb together they are classed as twins though there birthdays were months apart. As far as I know both children were completely healthy

This is not humanly possible. As anyone who has ever given birth can attest, once a woman goes into labor WHATEVER is in her womb will be expelled - regardless of time of conception.

There is another solution to the puzzle, though. Let's take a look at how it's worded:

One day Kerry celebrated her birthday. Two days later her older twin brother, Terry, celebrated his birthday. How come?

Terry (and his twin) could very well be older siblings to Kerry. There is nothing in the puzzle that states Kerry and Terry must be twins of each other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users