Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Easy Savoury

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#11 PlayTheMindGame

PlayTheMindGame

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:55 PM

This is very, very confusing.

#12 jec

jec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:06 AM

What if either student lies?

#13 Puzzlerz

Puzzlerz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:06 AM

I'd say there are 7 solutions:
2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6, 6-7, 7-8, 8-9

#14 sloonark

sloonark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:46 AM

There are not seven solutions, there are only four:

Posted Image

The only possible numbers A could have and be certain of B's number are 2, 3, 8, and 9.

If A had any of 4, 5, 6, or 7, then he would not be certain of B's number.

#15 mustavarest

mustavarest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:29 PM

Surely student B knows after student A's first statement only that A does not have have 1 or 10. Neither does he have 1 or 10 or he would have known the numbers and not responded that neither did he. At this stage either of them could still have 2 or 9 or anything between so when the first student then says he now knows the numbers it would seem that he must have 2 or 9 with the second student having 3 or 8. Unless I completely misunderstand the question this means there are only 2 possibilities when he could know the numbers at that stage - 2 and 3 or 8 and 9.

#16 mustavarest

mustavarest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

Having come across this one again, and thought about it again, I now see that after the second 'don't know' the first student clearly does not have no.1 and the second does not have 1 or 2. Equally first does not have 10 and second does not have 9 or 10. First student however then says he knows the numbers so he must have 2 or 3 or 8 or 9 with second student having 3 or 4 or 7 or 8 to make the pair. Phew!!! seems easy when the mist clears.

#17 Aatif

Aatif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:22 AM

Easy Savoury - Back to the Number Puzzles
A teacher thinks of two consecutive numbers between 1 and 10 (Edit: 1 and 10 included). The first student knows one number and the second student knows the second number. The conversation of the students is as follows:
First: I do not know your number.
Second: Neither do I know your number.
First: Now I know.
Will you find all 4 solutions?

First: 3 Second: 4
First: 2 Second: 3

First: 8 Second: 7
First: 9 Second: 8

#18 Llam4

Llam4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

There is a lot of confusion in this thread, let me clear it up:

Since the first child does not know the other's number, he does not have a 1 or a 10. (Or he would know the other student's number would be 2 or 9 respectively.

Now the second child knows that the first child does not have a 1 or a 10, he knows that if he has a 2 or a 9 then the other child must have a 3 or an 8, respectively. He says he does not know, so therefore he does not have a 1, 2, 9 or 10.

The first child now knows that the second child does not have a 1, 2, 9 or 10, and we know that the first doesn't have 1 or 10. The only way the first child would know the answer at this point is if he has a 2, a 3, an 8 or a 9.

Explanation:
If child 1 has a 2: Child 2 does not have 1(discovered earlier) or 2(I have it), the only other consecutive number is 3.
If child 1 has a 3: Child 2 does not have a 2(discovered earlier) or a 3(I have it), the only other consecutive number is 4.
If child 1 has an 8: Child 2 does not have a 9(discovered earlier) or an 8(I have it), the only other consecutive number is 7.
If child 1 has a 9: Child 2 does not have a 10(discovered earlier) or a 9(I have it), the only other consecutive number is 8.

Therefore the only possible answers are:
2 and 3
3 and 4
7 and 8
8 and 9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users