Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:15 PM

My friend who owns a farm near Dallas had five droves of animals on his farm consisting of cows, sheep and pigs with the same number of animals in each drove. One day he sold them all to eight dealers. Each of the eight dealers bought the same number of animals and paid at the rate of 17 Dollars for each cow, 2 Dollars for each sheep, and 2 Dollars for each pig. The money he received in total was 285 Dollars.

How many animals did he own, and how many of each kind?

Edited for proper punctuation.

Edited by brhan, 25 February 2008 - 10:17 PM.

#2 Jkyle1980

Jkyle1980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:36 AM

I assume that by "the same number of animals in each drove" and "bought the same number of animals" you mean the total quantity of animals regardless of species.

#3 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:38 AM

Spoiler for answer

#4 Jkyle1980

Jkyle1980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:53 AM

Spoiler for When does sheep = pig

#5 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:08 PM

I assume that by "the same number of animals in each drove" and "bought the same number of animals" you mean the total quantity of animals regardless of species.

exactly ...

#6 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:57 PM

Ya, I agree. The price of sheep and pigs should be different in order to have a unique solution. Anyways, good job guys ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users