Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5918 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:09 PM

Perhaps all questions are answered on this.
But it occurred to me it's easy to show the sum of squared distances to diagonally opposite corners are the same.

Let horizontal and vertical lines through the cow divide the fences into lengths u and v vertically and w and x horizontally.
Squared distance to one corner is u2 + x2 and to the diagonally opposite corner, v2 + w2.
Squared distances to the other two corners are u2 + w2 and v2 + x2.

The squared distances in both cases add to u2 + x2 + w2 + v2.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#22 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:35 PM

Ah I finally got around to this topic :D i didnt read any posts but brhan's top one, so I didnt check if there were any changes to the riddle that werent edited in, so tell me if there were

I have got a square field with one cow. My cow lied 13 meters from one of the corner posts of the field, 17 meters from the corner post diagonally opposite that one, and 20 meters from a third corner post. Can someone tell me how big (perimeter) a field I own?

You may assume the field is flat, and the distance of the cow from the corner poles is measured from the center of mass of the cow -- you know what I mean.

Spoiler for my answer

#23 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:48 PM

Sorry, my answer was incorrect! woops! I used the wrong part of the triangle lol

Redo of my answer:

the OP said it was a square field. Meaning the 30m diagonal cuts it into two right triangles, with the hypotenuse of 30 m, so each side of both right triangles (in other words, one side of the 4 equal sides of the square), would be 15*sqrt(2) meters. Multiply by 4 to get 60*sqrt(2), which is approx 84.853 meters perimeter

#24 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:49 PM

Oh I see, nevermind- he doesnt have to be necessarily on the diagonal between the corners. Woops! lol

#25 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:09 PM

Oh I see, nevermind- he doesnt have to be necessarily on the diagonal between the corners. Woops! lol

unreality,

Ya, the cow may not be on the diagonal. There are good diagrams on posts #12, 15 and 20. IMHO, they will be very helpful.

Edited by brhan, 01 March 2008 - 06:10 PM.

#26 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:54 PM

Yeah I was just like "17m from one corner, 13m from the other, means the diagonal is 30m, wow this is an easy problem!" before I actually thought enough to see that it didn't have to be right on the diagonal :P hehe. I'd rather not look at the pictures or the answers, I'll figure it out myself ;D (if i can, that is. hehe)

#27 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:29 PM

Hold on... There's two fields. And the cow is loose!

Waw, that is great Bonanova ... exploring for the second solution. Interesting explanation.

#28 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:30 PM

Yeah I was just like "17m from one corner, 13m from the other, means the diagonal is 30m, wow this is an easy problem!" before I actually thought enough to see that it didn't have to be right on the diagonal :P hehe. I'd rather not look at the pictures or the answers, I'll figure it out myself ;D (if i can, that is. hehe)

Alright, that is great. I am sure will solve it.

#29 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

Working on it now :P

#30 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:58 AM

I got extremely frustrated trying to solve this problem, lol. I looked at the various answers, and none of them make any sense. Can anyone explain the solution in very very very simple words, please? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users