Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Children

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#21 shirlduncan

shirlduncan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:42 AM

is there any reason why we are multipling the answer let's add 11+15+10 that will give u the sum of 36 we could also assume that the oldest is 15 and why is he wearing a red hat. Is it possible that he could work or play a sport? What profession would you have to wear a hat for (fast food)! And in most states u have to be at least 14 to work.

#22 amw8181

amw8181

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:19 AM

In the riddle it says:
"OK, the last thing is that my oldest child wears a red hat."

Now, if you and your sibling were both 6, if your father said this, it doesn't make sense as there are two oldest children. This last statement points out that there is only one "oldest".

I disagree; having had 3 sets of twins in my grade school and high school class, I know that at least some parents refer to their "younger" and their "older" twin, and I would presume that most do. It may not be obvious to others, but to a parent, the younger and older son has the same sentimental meaning for twins as it does for any other set of children.

#23 gballadeer

gballadeer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:44 PM

:icon_eek: Does the type of hat the son is wearing have anything to do with the answer? Is he wearing the hat backwards like a teenager? Is it a fishing hat or perhaps a dunce cap because he has been bad in class? These are tough questions that I believe must be answered! :P

#24 Nogumption

Nogumption

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:31 PM

18 – 1 – 2
Works best because an 18 year old is more likely to wear a hat then a 9 year old (admins answer) or a 1 and 2 year old which would be his siblings. The sum is 21 how many beers they drank that day (they started early) and the product is 36. The sum did not answer the question so he had to give another clue.

#25 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:47 PM

18 – 1 – 2
Works best because an 18 year old is more likely to wear a hat then a 9 year old (admins answer) or a 1 and 2 year old which would be his siblings. The sum is 21 how many beers they drank that day (they started early) and the product is 36. The sum did not answer the question so he had to give another clue.

sum of their ages can not be unique (respecting the "product = 36" condition and doubts which were clarified only after "the oldest child sentence") ... so what other combination of 3 numbers that have product of 36 and sum of 21 do you know?

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#26 roberto0

roberto0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:57 AM

Ahh I missed part two of your solution when trying to figure this out.

when one man said to the other "The sum of their ages is exactly equal to the number of beers we've drunk"
I thought, "well after 11 beers, I woudn't remember how many I've had, either..."

#27 CalleenAllAngels

CalleenAllAngels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:11 AM

Okay all your soulutions were great, But my children and I sat and read all of the posts and Heres the answer

amw8181 you were on the right track... with the twins but you left out the 3rd ..

.that makes it Triplets 3x12=36

Peter drank 6 Beers Thomas drank 6 Beers = 12 Beers all togather
12 is the age of the Triplets
12+12+12=36

Ohhh Yesss the RED HAT so they knew who was the oldest out of the 3
ITS BEEN FUN

#28 slmo

slmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:04 AM

Okay all your soulutions were great, But my children and I sat and read all of the posts and Heres the answer

amw8181 you were on the right track... with the twins but you left out the 3rd ..

.that makes it Triplets 3x12=36

Peter drank 6 Beers Thomas drank 6 Beers = 12 Beers all togather
12 is the age of the Triplets
12+12+12=36

Ohhh Yesss the RED HAT so they knew who was the oldest out of the 3
ITS BEEN FUN

is there any reason why we are multipling the answer let's add 11+15+10 that will give u the sum of 36 we could also assume that the oldest is 15 and why is he wearing a red hat. Is it possible that he could work or play a sport? What profession would you have to wear a hat for (fast food)! And in most states u have to be at least 14 to work.

Re both of these postings, the word PRODUCT means multiplication. Therefore these ages are impossible

#29 kylestaggs

kylestaggs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

What about 1-1-36. Its product is 36, its is a possible drinking amount, and there is a eldest child.

#30 hannahb5285

hannahb5285

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:04 AM

I'm SOOO confused about the math part of this question but when the oldest child wears a red hat, I think about the Red Hat Club. That would be that the oldest is over 50 though... Could you multiply every number as itself? Like if the age is 52 years, 5X2=10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users