BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

roolstar

Question

You wake up in a closed room with a soaring head and no furniture around...…

Just then you hear a prerecorded message playing:

“READY TO DIE??

My sensors tell me that you’re awake, but not for long HAHAHAHAHA!

As you can see the only door out is locked and can only be opened with a 10 digit code that you insert on the screen on the door.

Near you, you will find a simple device with 2 screens and a button.

On the top-screen you can write any 10 digit number (or almost) and when you push the button, a simple algorithm will generate another 10 digit number on the bottom-screen.

This device will only work for three times!

Now the good news is that ANY 10 digit number you can see on the device (top or bottom screen), and not necessarily the ones you entered or generated, will open the door 10 minutes after you enter it on the door screen.

The device is not connected to the door in any way.

The bad news is that these 10 digit numbers will also instantaneously trigger other things in the room as well:

- Some of them will send toxic gas down the ventilation shaft; this will kill you within the first minute!

- Others will open a secret door and my 3 pet tigers will come into the room; they are very hungry and I’m sure you will not be able to survive even for 1 minute with them. Believe me, others have tried.

I love my tigers and I will never allow anything to hurt them, so the rule is: The door lock is programmed in a way that if the top-screen number on the device sends the gas in, the generated number on the bottom-screen will open the tigers door, or vice versa… This way the gas will not hurt them.

Good luck!

HAHAHAHAHA…

And by the way, in 30 minutes, if you still have not entered any code on the door, the secret door will open automatically and… Well you know, I won’t have to feed my tigers next week!”

Still soar and not thinking straight, you enter these random three numbers:

Try 1:

TOP SCREEN: 3487089329

BOTTOM SCREEN: 1012100122

Try 2:

TOP SCREEN: 2585281323

BOTTOM SCREEN: 0132020020

Try 3:

TOP SCREEN: 6588329813

BOTTOM SCREEN: 0112011031

The device is now locked!

What code would you enter on the door?

Edited by rookie1ja

8 answers to this question

Actually, after browsing the site a little, I now see that this came up a couple times before (in different forms). I thought I was cool for a minute there. Now I just rained on my own parade.

Actually, after browsing the site a little, I now see that this came up a couple times before (in different forms). I thought I was cool for a minute there. Now I just rained on my own parade.

Oh I see!!

But in this puzzle there may be another answer... Or is there??????

Check out the advanced question.

the basic idea is already posted in a puzzle called 10-digit Number ... however, this jigsaw kind of story is so nice that I kept this thread open

Thank you for that...

I found the thread after my post, but this puzzle remains a bit more original: we still need to find the ALGORITHM used in the device before fiinding the answer.

We have to figure out that the safe codes are the ones that will trigger both hatches (GAS and TIGERS) at once. So the number that will generate itself with the algoritm.

Not to mention the follow-up advanced question

Well we may find a cycle of PAIR number of recurrent items too!!

Example:

Top Screen : A

Bottom screen: B

With

Top Screen : B

Bottom screen: C

With Top Screen : C

Bottom screen: A again

This will also jam the shafts!!!

Why?

Well If A opens the GAS ==> B opens the Tigers ==> C opens the Gas ==> A opens the Tigers ==> B opens the gas ==> C opens the Tigers....

This will make A, B & C alternate safe answers since they all open both shatfs too!!!!!

Can we find such series??

Maybe there is more fun to suck out of this!! ;)