Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Symbol

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#21 isaac.san.fran

isaac.san.fran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:47 PM

Well, I tried the square-root operator, and it yielded an answer that was too big. So I figured, how about the third-root (Cube-root)? Still too big. So the fourth-root works, though. So putting the operator between the numbers would imply a multiplication operation, a two-in-one deal. The fourth-root of nine is approx. 1.372. Multiply that by five to get approx. 8.660, which is greater than five, and less than nine.

#22 Sereni-T

Sereni-T

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:13 AM

You could put a 4th root sign. Which would yield the answer 8.66 :D

#23 spiralangell

spiralangell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:44 AM

Ha, we just finished this stuff in math, 5<x>9 Wouldnt that be a number (x) that is bigger then 5 and less then 9?

#24 carafate

carafate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:43 AM

i have a question tho, hw many people see the puzzle, solve it or look at the awncer then go away?
how many of them, if intrigued, bother to go to a second page?

I think reading the answers you all give is some of the best parts of this place. Y'all make me laugh when you argue.

#25 grottylittlewanker

grottylittlewanker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:06 PM

Well, I tried the square-root operator, and it yielded an answer that was too big. So I figured, how about the third-root (Cube-root)? Still too big. So the fourth-root works, though. So putting the operator between the numbers would imply a multiplication operation, a two-in-one deal. The fourth-root of nine is approx. 1.372. Multiply that by five to get approx. 8.660, which is greater than five, and less than nine.

Thats what I was thinking

#26 mudkip201

mudkip201

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:16 AM

No, this would not actually work. It would translate to five times the square root of nine. Since the square root of nine is three, the value would then be fifteen, which is not less than nine.

what if u wrote it this way: 5[[9]]
[9]=square root of nine
[[9]]=fourth root of nine

#27 mudkip201

mudkip201

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:16 AM

No, this would not actually work. It would translate to five times the square root of nine. Since the square root of nine is three, the value would then be fifteen, which is not less than nine.

what if u wrote it this way: 5[[9]]
[9]=square root of nine
[[9]]=fourth root of nine

#28 sweetie121184

sweetie121184

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:55 PM

how about 5/9 division that gets you 5.5556

#29 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:34 PM

how about 5/9 division that gets you 5.5556

5/9=0.55.. which is not between 5 and 9

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#30 Cavazem

Cavazem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:02 AM

Aren't digits just mathematical symbols that represent their corresponding numbers? So wouldn't the digits 6, 7, and 8 also be viable answers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users