BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Cavenglok

Question

A man named James takes a trip in a hot air balloon. No one found him since... until now. Maddened by the lack of communication with civilization, all he mutters is "It was the phoenix! It was the burning phoenix! The hole! The falling balloon! It was the phoenix!" The next day he is shot and a note is found in his shirt pocket. It says, "The phoenix aims for whoever finds the note first in every victim. You will always find the note." You, Detective Brian Dennis, are to solve these three things;

-Who murdered James?

-How do we protect the note finders?

-What is the "Phoenix?"

You may interview with witnesses. You will be informed of the next note finder every time there is one. You may do actions as the detective. Good luck.

The first note finder is a woman by the name of Kristina, James' girlfriend. She used to live in New York with her boyfriend.

• Answers 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

adding to what master300 said, examine the chainsaw too.

Okay...

You search the wooden panels. You notice a rhythemic thumping, and it sounds like a beeping, almost like a timer. You investigate the chainsaw. It is a flawless Stihl chainsaw. It works, too. Then, one policeman notices there's a little crack on the bottom of the wall.

Okay...

You search the wooden panels. You notice a rhythemic thumping, and it sounds like a beeping, almost like a timer. You investigate the chainsaw. It is a flawless Stihl chainsaw. It works, too. Then, one policeman notices there's a little crack on the bottom of the wall.

Tap the wall around the panel to see if the surrounding area is hollow.

see if you can open the wall by using the crack as a handle of sorts.

You sadly realize that the door can't be opened. You look at the panel with the sign saying, "This door leads to your final doom." (or something like that) Then the crack behind you shifts, and a room is behind you. There is a sign saying, "Alternatively, take this route instead."

You go right, the only direction you can go. You find who you assume is the "Bossman" of the Phoenix. Then, to your surprise, you find...

You: James?!?

James/Maxwell: No, Maxwell. Maxwell James Desespoir.

You: But you were dead!

J/M: No, my dear detective, that was my clone.

You: Clone?

J/M: Now, now, I won't go rambling about my plans, so I'll go ahead and shoot you.

Maxwell raises his gun. He is about to pull the trigger. Now, if you call out the names of two people that you never expected to help you, who you are currently holding for questioning, but completely forgot about it, and whose names begin with a "Jo" and an "Na," you will survive because those people will save you. GO!

Maxwell raises his gun. He is about to pull the trigger. Now, if you call out the names of two people that you never expected to help you, who you are currently holding for questioning, but completely forgot about it, and whose names begin with a "Jo" and an "Na," you will survive because those people will save you. GO!

It is Joe (not sure about) and Narcissa, if I am not mistaken.

Teekayla, shalt be explained at end of mystery.

Joe and Narcissa burst through the door. James looks behind in shock. You punch him in the face and arrest him. The police officers follow suit. Then something hard hits you in the head, and you black out...

When you wake up, you are behind a barrel with bullets flying all around behind you. Joe, appearing to be on our side, says, "Detective! Take my gun and get them!" You take his AK-47 (how'd he get that?) and shoot at the ceiling, which causes a breakdown of rocks, creating a barrier between you and the police officers and James' crew. You hear James escape. You cry, "Get them!" You jump over the rock pile and bolt after them. Officers come with you. You then talk into your walkie-talkie: "Criminal escaping down Phoenix Lane! (Made this up) Repeat, criminal escaping down Phoenix Lane! Squad 3 in pursuit! Support needed!" Police cars barricade the path of the Phoenix. You are on the other side. With nowhere to go, James and the others surrender.

BIG SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Story:

Maxwell James Desespoir was a madman. His twin brother, who he liked to call his clone, was the victim, James. The parents, proud of their twins, named them after each other (James Maxwell Desespoir, Maxwell James Desespoir) James and Maxwell got along with each other at first, but eventually James got a head accident at 11 and lost his memory. Maxwell and his parents were ashamed of James. Maxwell fled from the potential teasing at his school and became involved in the drug trade. James' parents, furious over the loss of both their sons, left James out to die in the street. An year later, however, the Carvals discovered 12-year-old James crying, and took him in along with their actual children, Etna, Flora, and Burton. (which was supposed to sound like Eternal Fire Bird, but now I realize not really) James did particularly well in his studies later on, although he was very behind, but was not able to recover his memory.

Maxwell, on the other hand, left the drug trade and decided to find a more virtuous living. Then a man in a red cloak with feathers attacked him in the street and stripped him of all his belongings. According to Maxwell, he looked like James. In his fury, he gathered men to start a killing crew. This was the stage when Maxwell would mark his murders with dead birds. Eventually, he went dormant, apparently to bird flu. (I wonder why...) When he recovered, he went on another killing spree. He created the Phoenix. He decided to chain several murders. He received a report from a spy that James would be on a hot air balloon trip. He got on a blimp. He lit it on fire when James noticed them. James, crazed with fear, (as the blimp was heading towards him) heard Maxwell shout, "Tell them that the Phoenix is here!" and laughed maniacally, like all villians. James' balloon got a hole when the blimp exploded in the distance and a stray piece of metal ripped it.

James was discovered chewing on a piece of tree bark. Kristina, James' girlfriend, overjoyed, decided to take James for a walk. Morris, who was harrassed by James in high school when James was forced by Robert, shot James. (it was him, right?) Morris then built a bird out of wood and taped a fuse to it. He placed the bird on top of Kristina's bed, then lit the fuse on fire. You saved her. A phone call led you to Kristina's friend Juliet. However, Kristina's decapitated head is found in a package. Juliet, who was maddened about phoenixes years ago (this is a coincidence) talked about her son Tyler's fencing match with Mark (Sorry, Tyler was supposed to be Juliet's son) on the Devil's Tower, or "Lou" as Maxwell called it. Morris, who was arrested, left an address of the Phoenix in his room. Jerry, who lost his girlfriend, Debbie, to James, arranged rocks in the shape of a large bird, then replaced the sabers with real swords. When the fencing match started, you interrupted it, but Mark and Tyler still were injured, though not fatally. Jerry ordered the bomb dropped onto the bird. You rushed everyone off the Tower, and the explosion caused no harm. You arrest Jerry as he walks towards Juliet's house.

A man named Clark, who was an ex-member of the Phoenix, confirms that the address is the Phoenix's base, tells you valuable information, and leaves you with a package. It was only supposed to be a drawing of the safe, but Maxwell snuck the note in there. You become the next victim.

While Juliet is watched by a police officer, you head to the address found in Morris' room. You find the base, but you were stopped by Joe and Narcissa, two members of the Phoenix. You return, then arrest Joe and Narcissa for questioning two days later. The next day you visit again. You are then stopped by two other entry guards. You return later that day and arrest the two guards. You climb to a higher ground, then yell "Bombs Away!" A shield guarding the safe explodes, then you open the safe using Master300's combination. You climb in, go through several obstacles, then encounter Maxwell. Maxwell has you at gunpoint, but Joe and Narcissa, who decides to betray Maxwell, interrupts. In a confusing battle, you overpower and arrest Maxwell.

I hope that wasn't too long. I'll do credits now.

-RhymeZone for providing all my rhymes in Maxwell's messages. The site is http://rhymezone.com/

-A site called Riddle-Poems and how to make them. The site is http://catb.org/~esr/riddle-poems.html

-Some camp councelors, who gave us riddles to solve in boring car trips.

-No1slight for inspiring me.

-Framm18, teekayla, MissKitten, master300, pennstate2323 for participating. If anyone feels they are left out, I just put the five most participators. Thank you all, though!

Please review my mystery. Was it too short? Obvious? I want to make my second better, so please tell me if you liked it and why or why not. Thanks.

Edited by Cavenglok

I'd have to say it was really good. I started reading about half way through, so decided to follow without interjecting. Overall, I liked it a lot. Hope the next one is just as good.