Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Short Ones

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#21 ilovedisneyland

ilovedisneyland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 05:23 PM

the tenth question is: "is is faster to New York or on the bus?"

#22 matt.lang

matt.lang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:44 AM

yay 9/9, are polar bears on the north or south pole tho?

#23 cpotting

cpotting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:28 PM

What color is the bear? Black as night.

Since the North Pole is over water, not land, both the bear and the house will be submerged. 13,410 ft (4087 m) deep, in fact.

His fur isn't actually white, but translucent. His skin is black. And that far under water, the translucent fur won't have any light to reflect.

The North pole (magnetic and geographic) are covered in snow and ice. It is quite reasonable to assume a house could exist there without it being underwater.

Polar bears don't exist as far north as the geographic north pole (I'm not sure about the magnetic one though). However, if a bear were to walk past the house, it is also reasonable to assume it would be a polar bear, as they are the closest to the region and the only ones that could naturally survive the climate.

Still, I have to wonder what kind of a whacked-out druggie would build a house at the north pole. And who knows what colour bear he thinks he sees?

#24 carlosn27

carlosn27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:02 PM

polar bears are only in the northern hemisphere.

the north pole is no longer covered in ice due to global warming, so it is nothing but sea water with a few icebergs floating by.

and the only drugged out hippie that would build a house in the north pole would be santa claus; but he's a cool hippie.

also, while the geographic north pole does not change (AFAIK), the magnetic NP changes frequently, so it's impossible to "build" a house there that's going to remain there for a long period of time; hence, I think the question refers to the geo NP.

#25 twittbrod

twittbrod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:19 PM

What color is the bear? Black as night.

Since the North Pole is over water, not land, both the bear and the house will be submerged. 13,410 ft (4087 m) deep, in fact.

His fur isn't actually white, but translucent. His skin is black. And that far under water, the translucent fur won't have any light to reflect.

The North pole (magnetic and geographic) are covered in snow and ice. It is quite reasonable to assume a house could exist there without it being underwater.

Polar bears don't exist as far north as the geographic north pole (I'm not sure about the magnetic one though). However, if a bear were to walk past the house, it is also reasonable to assume it would be a polar bear, as they are the closest to the region and the only ones that could naturally survive the climate.

Still, I have to wonder what kind of a whacked-out druggie would build a house at the north pole. And who knows what colour bear he thinks he sees?

That whacked out druggie also runs around in a fuzzy red and white outfit and insists that flying reindeer pull his sleigh and wait for him while he sneaks into people's houses through their chimneys.

#26 twittbrod

twittbrod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:21 PM

the north pole is no longer covered in ice due to global warming, so it is nothing but sea water with a few icebergs floating by.

and the only drugged out hippie that would build a house in the north pole would be santa claus; but he's a cool hippie.

also, while the geographic north pole does not change (AFAIK), the magnetic NP changes frequently, so it's impossible to "build" a house there that's going to remain there for a long period of time; hence, I think the question refers to the geo NP.

The fact that it's water over the north pole certainly makes it a whole lot easier to build a house there that can easily adjust it's location by floating in the appropriate direction as needed.

#27 the internet

the internet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:19 AM

um i think polar bears are black...

their fur just reflects the white snow

#28 the internet

the internet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:30 AM

The Short Ones - Back to the Logic Puzzles
• Why can't a man living in the USA be buried in Canada?
• Is it legal for a man in California to marry his widow's sister? Why?

Setting aside the why you would bury a living man.... a man living in the USA can't be buried in Canada because he would have to be physically in Canada to be buried in Canada - but we said he's in the USA...

I could be worng - but I think that the law says that a man missing for 7 years can be declared legally dead - hence his wife would be considered a widow. If he turns up alive after 7 years, is the wife still a widow? If so, he could marry her sister.

or polygamy

#29 Farcefenrir

Farcefenrir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:27 AM

These are the "crazy" type of answers (EDIT: MY style of answers ). Please feel free to disregard them to your will

• Why can't a man living in the USA be buried in Canada?

A: Well, he could, presuming he was buried alive. So, theoretically, it is possible, however, legally it is not (cos of the torture claims and such)

• Is it legal for a man in California to marry his widow's sister? Why?

A: The "widow" could have been a widow with someone else. The question does not specify whether the man was actually married to the widow.

• A man builds a house rectangular in shape. All sides have southern exposure. A big bear walks by, what color is the bear? Why? (similar to the Bear riddle in the section Einstein's Riddles)

A: Well, the house could be large... and by large, i mean half the world size large so it would cover the area of the north hemispere and most of the USA. However, when a bear appears outside your "house", it could be a grizzly, and so therefore its brown. Also, keeping with the "normal" answer, Polar bears arent always white. If temperature allows (like in the rest of the world apart from the poles), Mould could grow on the bear, and so, they could appear green. ALSO, polar bears have pink skin. So, if someone went to the North Pole and shaved a Polar Bear, it would be a pink bear (and IT(EDIT2: IT, not i >.<) would have died soon after because of the cold)

• If there are 3 apples and you take away 2, how many do you have?

A: Depends if you own the apples to start off with. If you owned the 3 apples to start off with, you still have 3 apples. Also, if you had another million apples that weren't mentioned, you'd still have them, but they arent mentioned, so you have X+2 or X+3 apples, where X is the number of apples that you have, but the question does not mention.

• How far can a dog run into the woods?

A: He can run in as far in as he INTENDS to run into. Sure, he can run half-way in, but then there could be a Subforest in the forest and to run into the Subforest, you need to go halfway in further, and so on. Basically, just dont go out of the forest and you'll do fine.

• One big hockey fan claimed to be able to say the score before any game. How did he do it?

A: Taking this as One big hockey fan claimed to able to say the ENDING score before any game. How did he do it?... Well, anyone could, really. Its just a matter of if your correct. ANYONE is able to say the ending score. They just aren't always right

• You can start a fire if you have alcohol, petrol, kerosene, paper, candle, coke, a full matchbox and a piece of cotton wool. What is the first thing you light?

A:You COULD start a fire with those items, but i prefer not to have those items as i could do better with a cigarette lighter (it does not actually specify whether you had those items and you had to start a fire with them)

• Why do Chinese men eat more rice than Japanese men? (Edit: Why do Chinese men eat more rice than Japanese men do?)

A: No other view here. I cant think of one

• What word describes a woman who does not have all her fingers on one hand?

A: Deformed or whatever. You could call her anything. Just that some things are immoral and offensive. You could also call her a Woman (duh) and forget about the finger thing.

#30 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6141 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:12 AM

also, while the geographic north pole does not change (AFAIK), the magnetic NP changes frequently, so it's impossible to "build" a house there that's going to remain there for a long period of time;
hence, I think the question refers to the geo NP.

Why is there debate about this?
The OP says four southern exposures.

Only at the Geo NP is this the case.

Vidi vici veni.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users