Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Short Ones

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#11 savagegamer90

savagegamer90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:37 PM

Grr...8/9 I didn't get the dog one. And what is the tenth question?

I don't know if you would count it as a question or not, but technically there are 11 questions because for the southern facing house problem and for the married widow problem, it says why? after the original question, which again is technically another question

#12 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:40 PM

lol i got 10/11 then

#13 sondesilence

sondesilence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:56 PM

I think it is because Chinese men don't eat Japanese men. They way the sentence is worded sounds like Chinese people eat both rice and Japanese men. It's a misplaced modifier or something.

Why do Chinese men eat more rice than Japanese men do?

would be more correct in this case.

#14 mathemagister

mathemagister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

If so, I have 8/9, 9/10 or 10/11.

#15 Naruki

Naruki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:18 AM

What color is the bear? Black as night.

Since the North Pole is over water, not land, both the bear and the house will be submerged. 13,410 ft (4087 m) deep, in fact.

His fur isn't actually white, but translucent. His skin is black. And that far under water, the translucent fur won't have any light to reflect.

#16 mathemagister

mathemagister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:03 PM

Oh yeah! So this question is inaccurate as the exact North Pole has water! And you could argue that the sentence meant the North Magnetic Pole and not the North Geographic pole but the N.M. Pole (believe it or not) is near the South Geographic Pole (and vice versa)!

#17 twittbrod

twittbrod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:32 PM

What color is the bear? Black as night.

Since the North Pole is over water, not land, both the bear and the house will be submerged. 13,410 ft (4087 m) deep, in fact.

His fur isn't actually white, but translucent. His skin is black. And that far under water, the translucent fur won't have any light to reflect.

I would hope that a man building a house in water would be bright enough to not build it 13,410 ft deep in that water. In fact, he might be smart enough to use some sort of pontoon system so the house can float. Likewise, I would expect the bear to be swimming near the surface, but I suppose that then it is not walking -- though the doggy paddle looks sort of like walking in the water (I have no clue what stroke a bear uses).

Then again, this might be the same man that wants to be buried in Canada while still alive in the US and then marry his sister-in-law after he dies. If he keeps stealing apples or eating Japanese men, he'll be dead sooner than he thinks.

#18 PDR

PDR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

The Short Ones - Back to the Logic Puzzles
• Why can't a man living in the USA be buried in Canada?
• Is it legal for a man in California to marry his widow's sister? Why?

Setting aside the why you would bury a living man.... a man living in the USA can't be buried in Canada because he would have to be physically in Canada to be buried in Canada - but we said he's in the USA...

I could be worng - but I think that the law says that a man missing for 7 years can be declared legally dead - hence his wife would be considered a widow. If he turns up alive after 7 years, is the wife still a widow? If so, he could marry her sister.

#19 montybd

montybd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:56 PM

interesting!!!

#20 seabaker

seabaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:50 PM

the finger question is ambiguous:

[All of [her fingers on one hand]]

[[All of her fingers] on one hand]

the second is the (intended) absurd reading.

the rice question is also ambiguous because of the ellipsis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users