Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6375 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:56 AM

You are a prisoner to a land ruled by a King and Queen, both of whom are pretty nice, luckily for you. The King enjoys riddles, math challenges, and physical games as well. Often he comes and chats with you in your cell. You have only been there two weeks when he says he has an idea. He will let you go free if you can win two games in a row of zarball. Zarball is a 1-on-1 game of agility, strength, speed and accuracy, played throughout the land. You think you're pretty good at it. You know that the King is one of the best, though, and the Queen is also pretty good, though nowhere near as good as the King.

The King says: "If you can win two games in a row out of three games, you shall go free." He scratched his goti and looked at you with an interested face. "The three games will be alternating of me and my wife. You can play me first, the Queen second, and me last. Or you can play the Queen first and last, and me second, in the middle. KQK or QKQ. Either way is fine."

What do you do?

#2 PolishNorbi

PolishNorbi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:01 AM

You are a prisoner to a land ruled by a King and Queen, both of whom are pretty nice, luckily for you. The King enjoys riddles, math challenges, and physical games as well. Often he comes and chats with you in your cell. You have only been there two weeks when he says he has an idea. He will let you go free if you can win two games in a row of zarball. Zarball is a 1-on-1 game of agility, strength, speed and accuracy, played throughout the land. You think you're pretty good at it. You know that the King is one of the best, though, and the Queen is also pretty good, though nowhere near as good as the King.

The King says: "If you can win two games in a row out of three games, you shall go free." He scratched his goti and looked at you with an interested face. "The three games will be alternating of me and my wife. You can play me first, the Queen second, and me last. Or you can play the Queen first and last, and me second, in the middle. KQK or QKQ. Either way is fine."

What do you do?

Spoiler for Spoiler?

#3 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6375 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:06 AM

Spoiler for in reply to PolishNorbi

#4 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6375 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:18 AM

The problem can be solved by logic/intuition/whatever, which is what I did (and PolishNorbi), though you can also solve it with pure probability ;D

#5 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6148 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:55 AM

Spoiler for Perhaps unexpectedly ...

Vidi vici veni.

#6 TwoaDay

TwoaDay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:31 PM

if your the prisoner im sore you wish you had to win two out of three but since its two in a row KQK

#7 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6375 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:31 PM

Everyone got it right ;D and bonanova nailed the Probability Proof of it. Good job! :P

#8 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6375 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:16 AM

I'm posting a sequel now :P

#9 sassefras

sassefras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

What do you do?

Spoiler for what i'd choose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users