Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 SioN

SioN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:05 AM

yea, im working on it few days but figured almost nothing just things i think everyone knows, f.e. it can be possible to use code digits you already know to find out another code digit or something, then i just dont believe that letters are for nothing there, i thought too about using another "reverse" thing (i mean 1=5 2=4 3=3 4=2 5=1 thing,) maybe some box numbers reversing (like A 0859 "reversed" is A 1362 when you use 1=0 2=9 3=8 4=7 5=6 etc.)and then somehow add/subtract it but no success right now. hope we will figure something out together coz i hate unsolved riddles :) (sry for my english :( )

#22 SioN

SioN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:38 AM

Spoiler for dont wait next digit but maybe next solution

#23 redrooster

redrooster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:46 PM

Spoiler for dont wait next digit but maybe next solution

I am fairly certain that this will be solvable. This was set as a problem for University Engineering students who were assured that there was a working answer

If you re-read the messages at the beginning , you will find a link to earlier Codebreaker puzzles from the same source. At one stage, like you , I thought that these earlier puzzles were "unsolvable" ...but some of the more industrious members on this forum found working solutions . Take a look and see if you can understand the answers found.A couple of the methods used are quite ingenious

So for this one , then as we are finding , it won`t be easy, but there will be a working answer.

I prefer puzzles like this where you can spend a lot of time trying to work them out.It can certainly be more frustrating than Sudoku , but once a solution is found , then the achievement felt is a lot higher .

( During World War 2 , at Bletchley Park , they had no choice but to keep trying to crack the codes so I like to think the same about this one.!)

Don`t forget that I`m offering prizes for working solutions.

#24 redrooster

redrooster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:35 AM

Here are the links to the previous , similar Codebreaker Wanted problems from the same source.....and they looked unsolvable as well ....until they were solved by members of this forum.

Read through them and see what you think

http://brainden.com/...breaker__st__40

http://brainden.com/...__fromsearch__1

Edited by redrooster, 31 December 2009 - 01:39 AM.

#25 Medji

Medji

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:10 AM

I have a theory:
Spoiler for

Edited by Medji, 05 January 2010 - 12:12 AM.

#26 redrooster

redrooster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:51 AM

I have a theory:

Spoiler for

I can see the logic in your theory and agree that it is has potential (I have also pursued a similar line of thought with various calculations...but no success yet !)

Can I just make a couple of additional , general comments.

1....C2 may NOT be the next digit to be decoded. It might by C3 or C4 before C2

2...There may be some form of "carry over" from the calculation for a previous code digit.

Example : if the calculation that produced C1 was a number higher than 10 .... eg 12 ....then the 1 (the "tens" )could possibly be "carried over" and used in a calculation for C2 or C3 or C4 .......This has happened in previous Codebreaker problems and can explain why a theory may work for most of the time, but has a few exceptions.....and these exceptions may be 1 (or 2 etc. ) higher or lower than the result from the main theory. The difference being a "carry over " from the preceding calculation.

#27 toxicoxyde

toxicoxyde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:45 AM

Here are my thoughts.
Spoiler for

#28 redrooster

redrooster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

Here are my thoughts.

Spoiler for

Welcome back toxicoxyde..I was hoping that you would take a look at this problem. It is a lot harder than that last one in Aug 2008....and I found some of that rather difficult at the time ...or at least until someone pointed out the multiple of 7 idea and the remainder solution to some of the code digits.

I can follow all your reasoning ( and it is interesting that a formula can be created to solve C1 )

I have now spent a fair bit of time on this problem and just cannot see a common point for C2 C3 or C4.

As I pointed out earlier, I am convinced that B1+B2+B3+B4 are all involved in the next stage......but what that is has not been realised yet.

Is anyone else working on any theories that they would like to share?

Perhaps we ought to have a " brainstorming" session for a bit of lateral thinking.

#29 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

Spoiler for an observation

#30 redrooster

redrooster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

Spoiler for an observation

An interesting observation.

All we need now is to see how they are related mathematically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users