Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aatif

Aatif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:10 AM

A puzzle I got from a very old man while traveling, quite a while ago. It reminded me of a Lewis Caroll puzzle, though the settings are very different!
Anyway, here is the puzzle:
Once upon a time, A king and his wife, the minister and his wife, and the servant and his wife were traveling. They came to a river, where a boat stands. Now there are a few rules one must remember:

1. Not more than 2 people can travel at a time in the boat.

2. King, his wife, Minister and his wife consider themselves as high class. So they cannot travel with the servant or his wife.

3. None of the men have faith on their wives (or any of the other men!), so they cannot leave their wives in the company of any other men EVEN FOR A SECOND! (for example none of the men can leave their wives alone with the any of the other men, even if their wives are around) Also note the class doesn't matter in this case! So even the servant wont allow the King to have his way with his wife. Proud man he is!!

So tell me the way in which they cross the river, so that it requires minimum possible commutation?

Spoiler for Solution:

#2 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5918 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:21 AM

This may have been posted before in this forum, and the solution I posted then had a slight violation.
It's an interesting puzzle because it takes only one move look ahead to find wrong moves.
Most moves are immediately dictated.
Spoiler for Solution

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#3 Aatif

Aatif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:31 AM

This may have been posted before in this forum, and the solution I posted then had a slight violation.
It's an interesting puzzle because it takes only one move look ahead to find wrong moves.
Most moves are immediately dictated.

Yup, you got that right!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users