Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bear

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#21 hannahb5285

hannahb5285

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:56 PM

I help out at the zoo that polar bears and cubs, I just want to help clarify about the color of the hair. Their hair is clear and hollow but it is translucent more than transparent. You can see through one strand of fur simply, but looking at the entire coat at once, it appears white. Think about a clear fast food straws; hold it so you are not looking through the center, but at the side. You can see the person or an object across the table. Now hold a large handful and they are now overlapping. All you see now is a lot of white fuzz. Also the skin color is black. That helps absorb the sun's energy for warmth along with their 4 inches of blubber. They are amazing mammals that really adapted for their environment. If anyone wants to know more, I will be more than happy to help!

#22 cat in a tree

cat in a tree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:15 PM

I agree with the above answer as to what color the bear was. However, considering that the bear was shot I'd say he probably had at least a little bit of red.

#23 hannahb5285

hannahb5285

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:33 PM

I agree with the above answer as to what color the bear was. However, considering that the bear was shot I'd say he probably had at least a little bit of red.

Hehe! very true! lol

#24 kraven

kraven

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:46 PM

partly red

#25 tehpengywin

tehpengywin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:22 PM

polar bears have black skin....either way its a pretty pointless question as how are we sposed to know they're in the north pole? They could be anywhere...

#26 shaggynuts24

shaggynuts24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:39 PM

white

--- because it was a "polar" bear

ha ha ha

#27 Johnny 99

Johnny 99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

It happened on the north pole because that is the only place where a situation like this could happen. In any other place on this planet the man would need to turn more than Pi/2

#28 Nexus

Nexus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:40 AM

I would say that the type of bear can not be concluded from the the orignal question. While polar bears do in fact inhabit the regions at or near the NORTH POLE that doesn't exclude the possibility of some other type to be there. The information provided doesn't offer enough to deduce that with certainty. And as for the color of the bear instead of arguing wether the fur is translucent or transparent you should instead realize that no object has color. Color is something we apply to our world ( like time) and that it is relative to our unique perspectives and doesn't truly exist as we assume. As previously stated color is actually our eyes perceiving the light that is reflected back from an object color is a state not a physical characteristic. I would think that whoever devised this question was actually trying to test the listeners ability to see beyond the obvious and to perceive our world in a new light so to speak...... In the land of the blind the one eyed man is KING

#29 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:03 PM

Actually the bear is black, in terms of our colour understanding, i.e the abscence of reflected light, or to put it in terms of art, the colours are base and the tones are black or white.
The fur is translucent and actually hollow, which allows better absorbtion of sun light and insulates somewhat against the cold.

Though i agree it would be a polar bear. B))

Which totally dismisses the Q, Do bears S..T in the woods? Better to answer, Is the pope a catholic? When trying to give the long winded affirmative.

#30 Mihir

Mihir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

Don't think of the bear running west of a point where the man was, but where he ended up, the north pole. Then, the bear would be doing circles around him. And, he would aim souh no matter where the bear was.

Hmm... thats correct for sure bcoz anywhere u point from the N. pole u would face south only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users